All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 10-04-2008, 04:46 PM
Administrator

krisse is on a distinguished road
Can't decide which N-Gage phone to buy?

There are now eight N-Gage-compatible phones on the market, with many more to come over the next few years. Each model has its own pros and cons, and of course you'll probably want to buy such a phone for more than just games. If you want some help with your purchasing decisions, check out All About N-Gage's hardware review section, featuring photos and in-depth reviews of all N-Gage-compatible models courtesy of our sister-site All About Symbian.

Read on in the full article.

Old 10-04-2008, 06:48 PM

Tetlee is on a distinguished road
Thought this was going to be a list the Pros & Cons of each phone specifically with N-Gage gaming in mind, that would be a nice idea I think for those of us that put gaming first.

For instance....

N81:
Pro - 2 Dedicated gaming buttons
Con - Lack of 3d accelerator chip

etc. etc. Sure there must a few gaming pros & cons on each handset.

Old 10-04-2008, 07:50 PM
Administrator

Apologies for the bad wording, I'll try to rewrite it after this post. The idea of the item is to direct people interested in N-Gage to the phone reviews we've already done. They're now buried rather deeply in the AAS menu system, and N-Gage fans might not know about the AAS site anyway, so I thought it was worth highlighting their existence, and the existence of AAN's hardware section.

We couldn't really write reviews of these phones in terms of N-Gage because the N-Gage platform only just launched last friday, and we can't go back to the phones because we don't necessarily have these phones any more (manufacturers loan most of them to us, so they have to go back after the review). Even the N81 review pre-dates the public beta test so we couldn't do its gaming features properly, thanks to Nokia's constant delaying of the launch.

Quote:
N81:
Pro - 2 Dedicated gaming buttons
Con - Lack of 3d accelerator chip

etc. etc. Sure there must a few gaming pros & cons on each handset.
Comparisons ought to be possible in theory, but so far there isn't actually that much difference.

The designers of the currently-available games have been quite restrained in assigning controls, for example Creatures Of The Deep will work just as well on practically any handset because it only uses the d-pad. I'm sure this is a deliberate decision so that the games reach the widest possible audience.

The 3D accelerator chip may make a difference when Nokia or others start writing games for it, but so far no games so far actually use the chip, so it's impossible to judge how good it is.

Having said all this, I'd suggest the best N-Gage phone for gaming is the N93: it has a perfect button layout which lets you comfortably use the entire keypad in horizontal mode, and it also has a 3D chip and TV Out, which add to its console-like qualities.
Internet Tablet School - Tutorials on how to use Nokia Internet Tablets

Last edited by krisse; 10-04-2008 at 07:54 PM.

Old 11-04-2008, 07:57 AM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
heck, the best phone for an AWFUL lot of things is the N93. Good to see it in the N-Gage compatibility 'coming soon' list though - I'm just hoping that N-Gage comes with a firmware update (FL3, more RAM, demand paging, I can dream....)

Old 11-04-2008, 09:21 AM
Administrator

The N93 is great, I suppose retailers just had a tough time selling it to people because of its relative bulk when used in phone mode, and this is possibly why Nokia brought the slightly smaller N93i out fairly quickly after the N93. The N93i improved matters somewhat but it still seemed a bit large IMHO.

I think the main problem is that huge camera in the middle. If that could be shrunk the phone would look a lot more sleek, and presumably that would now be possible without losing quality using modern optics.

Last edited by krisse; 11-04-2008 at 09:23 AM.

Old 11-04-2008, 11:59 AM

Happy to see your comments on the N93, I just bought one of those myself although I haven't collected it yet(it's back home in England and we're out in Argentina ATM, heading back there for a holiday in a weeks time so looking forward to picking it up).

Actually I did look at the N93i, shame really but the main thing that put me off was the weaker battery, I was looking to get a phone with N-Gage in mind so the battery life was pretty important to me. Also wasn't convinced by the flat Razr style keypad, prefer proper feeling buttons for gaming, oh, and then there's the finger print magnet looking case of the N93i

On the subject of your reviews, yep, they were very helpful when I was deciding which phone to purchase, didn't really know alot about any of them previously but they helped my decision to get the N93 this time around, only paid £115 delivered from ebay so pretty damn good for what looks one beast of a phone(lol, in all respects, but the size doesn't bother me TBH, got fed up with tiny fiddly phones these days).

Old 11-04-2008, 12:14 PM
Administrator

Tetlee, that's absolutely great that the reviews helped, it's exactly why I posted the story in the first place.

£115 is a really good deal for the N93, fingers crossed that the seller is reliable.

When you get it, try out the TV Out function, it's really cool. I did a series of articles about it last year on an N95, but they apply equally to the N93 too as it's the same feature:

http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/featu...eat_the_PC.php

Ads

Old 11-04-2008, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisse View Post
Tetlee, that's absolutely great that the reviews helped, it's exactly why I posted the story in the first place.

£115 is a really good deal for the N93, fingers crossed that the seller is reliable.

When you get it, try out the TV Out function, it's really cool. I did a series of articles about it last year on an N95, but they apply equally to the N93 too as it's the same feature:
Yeah thanks, I'll check out that article. Was one of the features of the phone that had me sold, was amazed at the quality of some of the youtube videos showing System Rush via the TV out, almost looks like a home console

TBH I was initially planning on buying the N81, but the lack of the 3D accelerator chip put me off a fair bit, as did the lack of the TV out function and the stiff looking D-Pad. That's where these reviews helped me out and I think I made the best choice in the end for me personally, the general layout of the N93 looks spot-on IMO. The seller I used should be fine, has a perfect rep with well over 100 feedbacks and was really helpful & honest with the messages before & after buying.

Right then, lets read that article you linked to while I drink my cuppa tea

Old 11-04-2008, 01:29 PM

PatricOj is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

I've personally used three of the so far supported devices: N81, N93, N95 8GB

N81 should be affordable, it's relatively small, some think it's be best looking device we've ever made, it has the dedicated gaming keys, and the 8GB version does not run out of mass storage any time soon.

N93 (orig. not i) shouldn't be that expensive anymore, as it was launched soon two years ago. It's a bit big, and mass storage space is up to the additional investment you make on a miniSD card, but those don't cost much anymore. All the rest about it is just brilliant. The camera is great, including the still rare optical zoom. You've got TV-Out, 3D hw and the landscape mode gaming ergonomy is top notch. Instead of dedicated gaming keys, you've got the number keypad available, which is the best I've tried, and the rocker is very good too.

N95 8GB is what I currently use personally, and I'll probably hold on to this one for quite a while. You've got all the goodies as in N93 except for optical zoom, but this one is smaller. Landscape mode gaming works using the music keys, and you've got massive mass storage as in N81. Additionally the screen is a huge 2.8" very bright and crisp thing, and as a speciality, N95 8GB beats both N81 and N93 with amount of RAM. All three have sufficient RAM for N-Gage gaming, but for example Olli Hinkka's Quake2 port only runs in N95 8GB of the devices compared here.

Old 11-04-2008, 04:01 PM
Administrator

PatricOj, thanks for that!

I agree the N81 ought to be affordable, but so far it isn't. IMHO Nokia's priced it far too high, the 8gb version costs the same as the N95 but is technically much worse (the N81 has no GPS, 2mp camera instead of 5mp, QVGA camcorder instead of VGA, no 3D chip, no TV Out etc).

Last edited by krisse; 11-04-2008 at 04:11 PM.

Old 14-04-2008, 12:12 PM

talhamid is on a distinguished road
I can't believe you guys. Why does nobody EVER mention the N82? Check this out: HArdware acceleration, GPS, 128 MB RAM (Same as N95 8GB), smaller, lighter than ALL other N-gage sets, fastest N-series device, Zenon flash and 5 MP camera, VGA video with stablization. Not to mention, motion sensor, auto-rotation without any 3rd party app, TV-Out and - guess what - far cheaper than N95 8GB.

Yes it does suffer from awkward keypad and slightly smaller screen of 2.4 inches, but that's about it. And it looks questionable, but isn't that true for every NSeries handset?

The way people keep singing praises of N93 makes me think it is still 2006. To be fair, N93 is a great phone, but time has moved on. And N81? Don't even mention it. It is one of the most poorly specced phones for the price, and that camera will land you in tears.

Also, steer clear of huge built-in memory if possible. Data transfer to and from it is a nightmare. Imagine USB 1.1 speeds. Now imagine trying to transfer a music CD worth of songs. Get the picture?

Last edited by talhamid; 14-04-2008 at 12:14 PM.

Old 14-04-2008, 03:27 PM
Administrator

Quote:
I can't believe you guys. Why does nobody EVER mention the N82?
Partly because it's so new that not many of us have had a go on it yet, but also partly because the keypad layout isn't particularly suited to gaming.

Obviously phone games will work on it, and the best phone games are suited to all keypad layouts, but if someone is in the market for a gaming-oriented device then the N82 probably isn't it.

Quote:
Yes it does suffer from awkward keypad and slightly smaller screen of 2.4 inches, but that's about it. And it looks questionable, but isn't that true for every NSeries handset?
No, it's not. The N93 has an excellent keypad, which is how this N93 discussion began.

The N93's d-pad and keys in horizontal mode are laid out pretty much like those on the Game Boy Advance SP. Games work really really well on the N93, not just phone games but emulated games too.

The N93's strength comes from its form factor, but as no one has repeated this form factor there's not really any obvious replacement for it.

Quote:
The way people keep singing praises of N93 makes me think it is still 2006. To be fair, N93 is a great phone, but time has moved on.
Move on to what? The N93 has by far the best keypad layout for gaming, I'd say it's better than even the original N-Gage/QD. There is no better phone to move on to if you want a gaming-friendly keypad layout.

Old 15-04-2008, 03:50 AM

talhamid is on a distinguished road
OK I agree - the keypad on the N82 sucks. But I stillll consider that most games just require the d-pad 90% of the time and that is fine enough if not brilliant.

As far as keypads go, IMHO Nokia have yet to repeat the brilliance found on early NSeries (including N93) sets which apparently were designed to ensure maximum usability as well as gee-whiz features. I did carry an N93i for some time. While I found the hardware and the interface perfect, it became too hard to carry in my shirt pocket. As a phone, it was not stellar simply because of the form factor that made it so brilliant for gaming and video. The same factor - weight - kept me off the N95 8GB too, surprising as it may seem.

As far as overall packages go, I think the N82 is pretty close to perfect. I urge everyone to at least look at the spec sheet and get some hands-on time with one , as well as the N93 (really good prices now), before switching to anything else.

Old 15-04-2008, 12:31 PM

clad is on a distinguished road
Definitely agreed that the N93 has by far, the best layout for maximum gaming experience! The comfort and ease of use of the buttons and directional keypad make it the clear winner here! Nokia should have added more ram and presented this phone as a gaming mobile phone and video recording phone - this would have probably boosted its sales with appropriate advertisement/softwares/games.

Old 15-04-2008, 01:45 PM
Administrator

Quote:
As far as overall packages go, I think the N82 is pretty close to perfect.
Yeah, you're right that looking at all its features does make the N82 a pretty good phone.

This thread was just concentrating on the gaming side, but of course most people buy their phones for the whole package.