All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 29-08-2007, 10:48 AM
Administrator

krisse is on a distinguished road
Next Gen N-Gage compatible devices revealed

Nokia's new official N-Gage site (which seems to be having temporary problems) has provided the first confirmed list of Next Gen N-Gage compatible phones. So far the list includes: Nokia N73, N81, N81 8GB, N93, N93i, N95, N95 8GB. More phones may appear in the future, but this is what's been confirmed so far.

Read on in the full article.

Old 13-09-2007, 01:26 PM

yve2k7 is on a distinguished road
Just read the "Where the heck are all the phones?" article ( can't post the URL since I haven't done 10 posts yet grrrr ) and two points sprang to mind:

- Is the E90 not a capable device that should be in the initial list of potential phones?

- Never mind Nokia devices - what about the Samsung and LG S60 phones? Since N-Gage just seems to be an application, why not make it available to them too? Surely it makes business sense: More devices with N-Gage installed = bigger audience = more games sold = more $$$.

Old 13-09-2007, 05:28 PM
Administrator

Tzer2 is on a distinguished road
Sorry about the lack of comments thread on the other article, we are working on the problem!

"- Is the E90 not a capable device that should be in the initial list of potential phones?"

I did consider this and there is a good case for including it, but I thought Nokia would play the "it's a business machine" card, the games would only take up a fraction of the main screen, and the exterior screen is pretty small.

But I do agree that it is technically possible and they ought to give everyone with compatible hardware the chance to decide for themselves if they want the games.

"- Never mind Nokia devices - what about the Samsung and LG S60 phones?"

This issue has been raised with Nokia, there was a podcast (last year? early this year?) where they admitted it was technically possible to use non-Nokia S60 models but they had no plans to do so.

To be honest, I think there might be too many complications over licence issues, and of course a lot of Nokia executives might wonder why the heck they're supplying a service on a rival's machine.

But... if Nokia is serious about moving from being a hardware company to a services company, I don't see why they wouldn't one day let non-Nokia S60 phones use the N-Gage platform. They already let non-Nokia phones use the Nokia Maps service for example.
Ads

Old 30-11-2007, 02:31 PM
Unregistered

n92

is it compatible with n92??? i gota know badly pls reply

Old 14-12-2007, 10:16 AM

PatricOj is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
is it compatible with n92??? i gota know badly pls reply
Unfortunately not. If I recall correctly N92 was S60 v2.x, meaning behind the binary break to v3.0. But above all, the N92 is so old that there is a ton of needed platform features missing.