All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Links of Interest

Old 11-08-2010, 10:37 AM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
Nokia N8 pre-orders in France and Germany

The N8 is now available for pre-order from Nokia's own web stores in France and Germany. The French store quotes a price of €459 (£380) and availability at the 'end of August', while the German store quotes a price €479 (£397) and availability in the 'third quarter'. The N8 is already available for pre-order in Italy at a cost of €469. Other online retailers continue to announce pre-order availability, the latest of which is UK based MobileFun.co.uk who quote a price of £419.95. The £420 price point seems to be fairly common across UK online retailers.

Read on in the full article.

Old 11-08-2010, 10:49 AM
sunwong

Also in Spain

Hi Rafe,

Just to let you know that the handset is also available for preorder in Spain, costs 469 and availability is planned for End of September 2010, like in Italy..

Rgds,

Old 11-08-2010, 10:56 AM
Unregistered

also available from nokia poland on pre-order

http://sklep.nokia.pl/webapp/wcs/sto..._-15_100000292

Old 11-08-2010, 11:30 AM

Pawlee is on a distinguished road
i thought this was bein hyped as quite competitively priced when it was first announced... this is pretty much the n95/n96/n97/n900 flagship price (play.com currently detail it as 425)

hope o2 pick this up on contract, but that'll depend whether nokia ship it with their usual type firmware or this time decide to ship it with a stable firmware

Old 11-08-2010, 11:53 AM
hleh

Thumbs down Price in Poland 500 Euros

Yeah :( Mose expansive one.

Old 11-08-2010, 11:57 AM
hleh

This was about price in Poland (500 Euros)

Old 11-08-2010, 12:00 PM

yade is on a distinguished road
I am sick of waiting for this, I know nokia have always said 3rd quarter and they aren't lying but right at the very end of Q3 like they are doing may as well be Q4. Their communication has been very poor. Why couldn't they give people updates on progress. Lastly I know they will be managing the N8 development project ensuring that they meet their planned costs for develoment and manufacture but with so much riding on this device the cost of not getting it to market in a reasonable time frame must outweigh the cost of applying more resource to ensure it is delivered sooner.

Annoyingly they have me though, despite my discontent I will still purchase one because there is no phone that comes close to this as an ultimate convergance device.
Ads

Old 11-08-2010, 12:03 PM
samuelson

Exclamation managerial chofold

1, I would be very surprised, if N8 will be available before nokia world (Sept 14)

2, Nokia has bad habit of overpricing the devices for first month or two (or three). it was common before with feature phones, but I think it's less frequent with smartphones nowadays.

3, Devices in Nokia stores (eshop and brick) are always more expensive than in other shops. I understand this as support for 3rd party shoppers, but unexperienced customer has bad impression by chiecking price at Nokia

Old 11-08-2010, 12:07 PM

viipottaja is on a distinguished road
This is getting close to the originally state recommend retail price (Eur 429; this is including taxes so I would imagine without taxes this would be close to or even a bit below Eur 375; also, says 30 Aug on availability...):

http://www.amazon.de/Nokia-Smartphon...1515265&sr=1-1

Old 11-08-2010, 01:57 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by yade View Post
I heir communication has been very poor. Why couldn't they give people updates on progress. Lastly I know they will be managing the N8 development project ensuring that they meet their planned costs for develoment and manufacture but with so much riding on this device the cost of not getting it to market in a reasonable time frame must outweigh the cost of applying more resource to ensure it is delivered sooner.

Would be repeating the mistakes of the past, throwing resources at something like this invokes the law of diminishing returns.

It's only a phone. Relax.

Old 11-08-2010, 03:25 PM

krisq is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pawlee View Post
i thought this was bein hyped as quite competitively priced when it was first announced... this is pretty much the n95/n96/n97/n900 flagship price (play.com currently detail it as 425)
I think you're being a little unfair. Phones you mentioned are already after few price drops. You can't afford it now, wait a little.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hleh View Post
Yeah :( Mose expansive one.
If you know where too look, you can get it for 1795zl (450Euro).

https://centrumgsm.pl/index.php?p=sk...318&model=1891

To become a super client all you need to do is to create an account.

Old 11-08-2010, 06:37 PM
Unregistered

Angry preposterous prices in eastern europe

Again, the highest prices are in Countries with lowest GDP.
In Slovakia the price starts at 569,99

Old 11-08-2010, 07:40 PM

snoFlake is on a distinguished road
In the UK HTC Desire GBP429, Samsung GalaxyS GBP429 SIM free on Play.com and now iPhone4 GBP480 pay-as-you-go on Vodafone. It's gonna have to be cheaper than GBP420 - just saying.

Yes some of those phones may be after their launch price but it's Nokia's fault for releasing this phone 3-6 months late (really S^3 is 3months after their original timetable and if they hadn''t wasted a year on Symbian Foundation but had improved the OS instead then S^3 would've been ready in 2009 when it would've looked OK/pretty decent), now it has to compete with phones really from a class higher but now at very similar prices. Nokia have boxed themselves into a position where their only weapon is price (and that they can do but are often slow to) and all their gear are the phones you had to buy not the phones you really really wanted to buy.

Old 12-08-2010, 09:19 AM

clonmult is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoFlake View Post
In the UK HTC Desire GBP429, Samsung GalaxyS GBP429 SIM free on Play.com and now iPhone4 GBP480 pay-as-you-go on Vodafone. It's gonna have to be cheaper than GBP420 - just saying.

Yes some of those phones may be after their launch price but it's Nokia's fault for releasing this phone 3-6 months late (really S^3 is 3months after their original timetable and if they hadn''t wasted a year on Symbian Foundation but had improved the OS instead then S^3 would've been ready in 2009 when it would've looked OK/pretty decent), now it has to compete with phones really from a class higher but now at very similar prices. Nokia have boxed themselves into a position where their only weapon is price (and that they can do but are often slow to) and all their gear are the phones you had to buy not the phones you really really wanted to buy.
Would you prefer they release the phone before its ready?

You can't compare the SIM free prices of the Android devices to the payg (ie. subsidised) price of the iPhone 4.

There is still a chance that the final UK price will be under 400, but to be honest the number of people buying SIM free is relatively small - the majority tend to be on contract or payg.

Old 12-08-2010, 09:56 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by clonmult View Post
There is still a chance that the final UK price will be under 400, but to be honest the number of people buying SIM free is relatively small - the majority tend to be on contract or payg.
The trick is to buy from the stores that sell PAYG price, with only a requirement to pay for 10 worth of PAYG time, but all the phones are unlocked and you can do whatever you like with them. One particular very large High Street chain is well known for this advantage.

I've a stack of SIMS each with a tenner credit on that need giving away.