All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 28-11-2008, 01:24 PM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
GPS-Action: Place-dependent actions, not time...

Kudos to Symbian Guru (the developer, not the blogger) for introducing a new genre of S60 utility. GPS-Action uses GPS and/or cell ID to fire alarms, switch profiles, open applications, etc. according to where you are rather than the time of day. So, for example, you could be reminded to look for a particular product the next time you get to the shopping mall. Lots more other examples and information at the main GPS-Action page.

Read on in the full article.

Old 28-11-2008, 03:40 PM

rottie is on a distinguished road
Brilliant! My phone's battery will be very happy with gps always on...

Old 28-11-2008, 04:24 PM

Attila is on a distinguished road
good one

Best Profiles had a similar feature in v1.01 for quite some time now.
a change in GSM location can trigger a profile change (including wallpaper, ringtone etc change) which can trigger ANY application to start.

it's not GPS sensitive but as pointed out before, that would be hardly any friendly to batterylife.

Old 29-11-2008, 04:17 AM
Unregistered

bat life

It could be low power if it worked off cell positions first, and only activated GPS when you were near one of the cells known to be near the gps point. It might already do this anyway. It certainly would be handy to have my phone prompt for silent when i walk up to the local cinema

Old 29-11-2008, 07:35 AM
Unregistered

Thumbs up Low power and indoor mode is already there

In order to have long battery life you just need to use your GPS in network based mode. This is working in most cities and also indoor.

Old 30-11-2008, 07:34 AM

malerocks is on a distinguished road
This feature has been around in number of cell id based applications like handy profiles, GSM navigator, etc. I find this extremely useful and have always used it to switch my cell to silent when i go to watch the movies...

Gives me the liberty to stare at ppl with angry eyes when their phone rings during the movie

Old 02-12-2008, 10:31 AM
SGuru

Wink Battery Life

As GPS-Action developer I have to admit that we were struggling very long with optimization of the battery life. And you should know that GPS is NOT always on, it turns on just for a few seconds once in a period, gets the GPS info and shuts down again. So, the battery life is almost not affected - please try and tell.