All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 31-03-2008, 06:40 AM

KJH is on a distinguished road
Nokia CP-191 Leather Holder for N95-1 Reviewed

From my blog here :- http://kayceejayh.blogspot.com/2008/...older-for.html
(Photos are at the bottom of my blog post)

I do love my Nokia 95 very much, its like my 3rd arm, and I'd be lost without it. It's spent most of its shortish life in my jeans pocket, rattling around with my keys, my loose change, my lighter and the various crap I hold. Possibly not the best place for a 400 ish phone!

I did used to have an overlay to protect the screen, which it did, but as i didn't lay it too well, it was kinda bubbled at the top, so it never looked great. Also made the screen display a little dull too, so in anticipation of receiving my CP-191 I pulled the sucker off.

The CP-191 arrived in a Nokia blister pack, initial impressions were good, it felt very sturdy, nice quality letter with the familiar 'Nokia' logo stamped stylishly on the front. It can be open and closed with the strong Velcro fastener and the inside is lined with a very soft felt like material and has a little tag proudly stating 'Original Nokia Enhancement'.

The phone is held in place with a plastic 'hook' that holds onto the back of the phone. This leaves the slider free to move in either direction. Access to the buttons on the side of the phone is kept free at all times. The same can't be said about the MicroSD card door, you have to remove the phone from the holder to take the memory card out. The connections on the base of the phone and the power button at the top are easily accessed too. There is a circular cut out on the back of the case for the camera and lens cover too. Photos could in theory be taken without even opening the case (would be a little pointless as you couldn't view the screen )

The phone is held very tightly, and I can't see it slipping out, without some great force. So far so good eh? Well yeah.. but i guess this holders' Achilles heel is in USING the phone. Howso? Its easy enough to get the phone out, and send a text, browse the web etc. with the case on. But how about speak on the phone? You sort of have to fold over the cover behind the phone, which is a bit of a faff, and is a bit cumbersome. Also when you take a photo, you have to open the case and have the front flap sort of hanging down, which is not a good look.

Also a problem is when you move into the car, not many car holders could hold the phone in a holder, and even if they could, you'd either have to have the holder shut (stopping you from seeing the phones display), or have the front flapping around again.

I really am in two minds about this holder, it is great at protecting the phone, its good for using the phone for texting, browsing, etc. But when you actually need to make a call, or put it in the car, it all starts to suck. I suppose you could take it out of the holder, but I guess that runs the risk of loosening the tight grip of plastic clips that hold it in.

I would recommend this holder, but its certainly not as swish and elegant as the N95 itself!

Old 31-03-2008, 07:30 AM

jorge999 is on a distinguished road
Thanks for that!
Ads

Old 31-03-2008, 08:53 AM
Super Moderator

kontraband is on a distinguished road
that 'flap' would really do my nut!

Interesting review though.

Old 31-03-2008, 08:58 AM

Casperuk is on a distinguished road
there must be a case that protects your phone but allows you to see the screen without having to remove it. bit like the crystal cases but better quality

Old 31-03-2008, 09:21 AM

KJH is on a distinguished road
Well this is my point, its a lovely classy case, but its just not practical. There are those cases that are made of 'helicoptor rotor' material, but i've not seen one of those in action.

K

Old 31-03-2008, 09:49 AM

lovesign is on a distinguished road
Well, you've pretty much mirrored my sentiments & experiences exactly on the CP-191. Looks good, but in practice is very cumbersome. I find that more often than not the phone isn't in the case, so what's the point of having it ? I have come to the conclusion that whoever designed it assumed the user would be using Bluetooth handsfree all the time, and a stereo A2DP set at that, because the flap also obscures the headphone socket !

Nice write up

I Hate People Who Take Drugs.....

Customs Men For Example

V 22.0.110
(Custom Version 22.0.110.C01.01)
11-06-10
RM-505
Nokia N97

v 21.0.004
(Custom Version 21.0.004.209.03)
01-07-2010
RM-559
Nokia X6-00

6110 > 7110 > 6210i > 8210 > 7650 > 6600 > 6680 > N73 > N95 > 5800> N97 > X6

Old 31-03-2008, 10:32 AM

seki is on a distinguished road
Beer My phone

came with a "leather" Nokia N-series case .. which I put the phone into on day one - after finding the crystal case I'd bought months before was a heap of crap.
I have been extremely happy with it .. the "flap" opens to the top of the phone it folds completely over so that opening the phone to expose the keypad is not a pain at all .. you can easily text single handed.
I have no idea what part or model number it is .. just came as part of the kit with a 1G card.

Old 31-03-2008, 03:38 PM

Bennett is on a distinguished road
i use this case for my N95... Bodyglove
theres not much in the way of screan protection... but everything is accessable, (except the memory card slot.) It holds it together nice and tightly and is deffinatly good quality.. i would recomend it!

Old 31-03-2008, 04:40 PM

lovesign is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennett View Post
i use this case for my N95... Bodyglove
theres not much in the way of screan protection... but everything is accessable, (except the memory card slot.) It holds it together nice and tightly and is deffinatly good quality.. i would recomend it!
I've used Bodyglove cases before and the internal lining always ends up coming away and leaving a sticky black residue on the phone :(

I Hate People Who Take Drugs.....

Customs Men For Example

V 22.0.110
(Custom Version 22.0.110.C01.01)
11-06-10
RM-505
Nokia N97

v 21.0.004
(Custom Version 21.0.004.209.03)
01-07-2010
RM-559
Nokia X6-00

6110 > 7110 > 6210i > 8210 > 7650 > 6600 > 6680 > N73 > N95 > 5800> N97 > X6

Old 01-04-2008, 02:15 PM

Bennett is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesign View Post
I've used Bodyglove cases before and the internal lining always ends up coming away and leaving a sticky black residue on the phone :(
yea i bought a Bodyglove from a carphone warehouse (cost me £12) and like you say, when removing my phone the lining came out of it and left residue on the phone.
I went on to get another one (because my brothers bloody dog ate it) and i decided to get one from the bodyglove site (as carphone warehouse didnt have anymore in stock.)

i ordered it and i came the next day and i dont know why, but this one was alot better quality... made out of better materials.. and at £3 cheaper with free delivery, you cant go wrong really

Bennett

Old 01-04-2008, 03:25 PM

zxon is on a distinguished road
I always used to use Krusell cases (for my 6600 and N70) and they were great - really tight fit, everything where it should be, and not bulky. However their N95 dynamic case leaves little to be desired. Just have a look at it. It's hideous, and it doesn't even protect the phone!

www.andrew-irvine.co.uk
Please support my suggestion for Gravity!! - Add cut/copy/paste for when N97 is open

Last edited by zxon; 01-04-2008 at 03:28 PM.

Old 01-04-2008, 04:04 PM
Super Moderator

Cases for phones. Its not worth it. They ruin the athestics, make things less accessible, add more bulk and really only protect the phone from scratches. Nothing that couldnt be protected by being a little careful?

I agree, if your a builder or something then yeah, get a protective case, (or a tougher phone) but for the day to day person, I 'strongly dislike' them. bad bad cases.

Just my opinion of course.

Old 01-04-2008, 10:34 PM

Ben Frain is on a distinguished road
Does no one around here opt for silicon cases? Doesn't stop any of the functionality, cost peanuts and add very little bulk to the device.

Old 02-04-2008, 09:06 AM
Super Moderator

sliding on silicone?? rubbbery

Old 03-04-2008, 07:16 AM

PatricOj is on a distinguished road
Red face

I guess I should get myself a real leather case for my N95 8GB, as I don't intend to give it up anytime soon. I still use the same old belt pocket I bought for my 7650, and have been carrying in the same case also an N-Gage QD, N80, N90 (if it fitted, don't remember), N93, N76, N81 and now the N95 8GB