All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > Symbian Based Devices > S60 (Series 60) > Nokia N95 and N95 8GB

Old 31-01-2008, 01:01 PM

GavinK151 is on a distinguished road
disconnecting after maploader/mass starage mode - phone always says data may be lost?

Hi again!

Got a wee issue with usb "mass storage mode" (as opposed to pc-suite mode).

When I look at the "safely disconnect devices" thingy in XP I dont see the phone listed... so after I used nokia maploader (and after it said it was finished) I pulled out the cable and of course the phone then complains that "data may have been lost".

Whats the correct way to disconnect then or does it not really matter? I saw some similar posts but no solid conclusions so sorry if its a tired issue!

Gav

Old 31-01-2008, 01:06 PM

waxup is on a distinguished road
By using the icon method in your taskbar/notification area is the proper way, but if you are not getting that shown you may have it hidden. If you have an arrow (less thanarrow/ points to the left) down there, click that to expand that area and look for the icon then.

IF you don't have it, then make sure that your phone is not transferring data between it and and the pc before disconnecting. You should be fine as long as you know that there is no communication taking place. USB is powered and by disconnecting via taskbar method ensures that the USB hub is no longer powering that port.

Last edited by waxup; 01-02-2008 at 12:57 PM. Reason: removed images.

Old 01-02-2008, 12:36 PM

GavinK151 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waxup View Post
By using the icon method in your taskbar/notification area is the proper way, but if you are not getting that shown you may have it hidden. If you have an arrow (less thanarrow/ points to the left) down there, click that to expand that area and look for the icon then.

IF you don't have it, then make sure that your phone is not transferring data between it and and the pc before disconnecting. You should be fine as long as you know that there is no communication taking place. USB is powered and by disconnecting via taskbar method ensures that the USB hub is no longer powering that port.
Hi there,

I have that "hide that system tray" thing turned off so clicking on the "safely remove icon" brought up the list just fine - its just the n95 was not there on the list of devices to remove (only my other mass storage device).

Anyway - I reloaded the maps again just the be sure and this time the n95 was listed in the list of devices to remove! Wierd.

So it does appear sometimes.... its maybe that the previous time I was plugging in the usb, taking it out again and plugging it back in to change modes a fair bit (from pcsuite to usb storage) and this caused XP some confusion... maybe.

Old 01-02-2008, 12:57 PM

waxup is on a distinguished road
It's possible that you confused xp.....

Old 01-02-2008, 01:55 PM

randomfan is on a distinguished road
In my experience, I always tell Windows to safely remove the device every time, but once the cable is unplugged the N95 still says that data may have been lost everytime, which is slightly confusing, as all the applications had been closed as well. Ah well, nothing seems to be disappearing from the phone, so I'm not that bothered.

Old 07-02-2008, 11:44 AM

Wookie-HTID is on a distinguished road
I've never used that thing on XP where you "Safely remove devices" - thats over a period of years and years. I dont think ive ever encountered any problems whatsoever.

I always get that message when unplugging, and i use the connection daily. I've never had any lost or corrupted data so you should be ok!

Old 07-02-2008, 12:09 PM
Super Moderator

bartmanekul is on a distinguished road
Same for me, but just make sure you havent forgotten something transferring, otherwise it will corrupt it (wont do the memory much good either).

Old 07-02-2008, 12:50 PM
Banned

zippiracer is on a distinguished road
This might be because of the settings in your phone
Ads

Old 09-02-2008, 02:18 AM

myk1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by zippiracer View Post
This might be because of the settings in your phone
Can you be more specific?
Same problem on a different S60.3 phone, and with Linux.

Old 09-02-2008, 02:20 PM

fyrestrtr is on a distinguished road
You can also right click on the device in My Computer and choose 'safely remove'.

Sometimes, it takes XP a bit to poll all the USB hubs for their devices. This is why sometimes it takes a few seconds before the device appears in your USB tree.

Vista has improved on this a bit.