All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60 > N-Gage

Old 12-11-2007, 02:22 PM
Unregistered

"I would guess it comes down to the hardware used within the device.

The N95 and others are based on the TI OMAP 24 series processors with hardware graphics accelerator. This may have something to do with which platforms will be supported."

N73 and N81/8GB don't have hardware graphic accelerator. E90 has it, yet excluded.

Old 12-11-2007, 02:49 PM
Unregistered

But how is the system rush evolution going to work on n81 and n73? I have tried the system rush evolution demo on my nokia 6290 and it doesn't work well. It lags very very much. Nokia 6290 has similar processor/what ever with nokia n81. 6290, n81 and n73 have no 3d hw acceleration.

Old 12-11-2007, 06:09 PM
Administrator

krisse is on a distinguished road
Quote:
The N95 and others are based on the TI OMAP 24 series processors with hardware graphics accelerator.
I don't know why this keeps coming up, because it's just not true. The N95 and N93 have the 3D chip, but the N81 and N73 don't.

In fact the N73 is actually much worse technically than most of the phones on the poll, which have 50% faster processors.

Quote:
But how is the system rush evolution going to work on n81 and n73? I have tried the system rush evolution demo on my nokia 6290 and it doesn't work well.
Either they'll downgrade the graphics for SRE on all handsets, or they'll make two versions (one that uses 3D hardware, one that doesn't).

3D hardware doesn't have to affect gameplay, it usually just means the 3D graphics look a bit nicer.

When 3D cards first appeared on the PC, it was very common for a game to contain two versions of itself, one for PCs with 3D cards and one for PCs without.
Internet Tablet School - Tutorials on how to use Nokia Internet Tablets

Last edited by krisse; 12-11-2007 at 06:26 PM.

Old 12-11-2007, 08:03 PM

ajck is on a distinguished road
3 points;

6120 Classic should definitely be added. You only need to see it running Quake to see how powerful it is, full textured 3D graphics at full frame rate.

Secondly, has anyone out there managed to get the System Rush Evolution demo working on the 6120? It came up with an error when I tried it, couldn't find OpenGL config for that handset or something. Very frustrating, probably a minor change in the source code would be needed.

Lastly, is anyone at AAS going to pass the results of this poll onto your Nokia contacts? I sincerely hope so, as that would obviously get our voices heard.

Old 12-11-2007, 11:22 PM
Unregistered

E61

I was always a dedicated Ngage fan. I bought all the games and played a lot. I've since moved on through various Symbian phones and now use E61 because I do need a business phone. But I've been excluded and that pisses me off. The E61/i seems to me to really be the perfect gaming device, what with the landscape screen and the qwerty keyboard, especially for racing games and flight similators etc. Ah, Nokia. You really seem determined to see Ngage fail...again

Old 13-11-2007, 04:03 AM
ayush3090

5700 !!

c'mon NOKIA we need 5700 to be added......after all its a teen phone plus has a pretty good processor...........and much better than n73

plz plz plz

Old 13-11-2007, 02:22 PM
Unregistered

Ajck

That's really interesting. Now I get the same error with my nokia 6290 when I'm trying to launch the system rush evolution demo. It still worked month ago.

Nokia 6120 is not more powerful than 6290. Quake works fine on 6290 too.

Oops. It still works. You have to get it from other place.
Ads

Old 28-11-2007, 09:47 AM
Banned

Nigma is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by krisse View Post
I don't know why this keeps coming up, because it's just not true. The N95 and N93 have the 3D chip, but the N81 and N73 don't.

In fact the N73 is actually much worse technically than most of the phones on the poll, which have 50% faster processors.

Either they'll downgrade the graphics for SRE on all handsets, or they'll make two versions (one that uses 3D hardware, one that doesn't).

3D hardware doesn't have to affect gameplay, it usually just means the 3D graphics look a bit nicer.

When 3D cards first appeared on the PC, it was very common for a game to contain two versions of itself, one for PCs with 3D cards and one for PCs without.
Ok, so the N73 and N81 may not have the 3D accelerator. This would suggest that the Ngage platform would be based on Java JSR184. A 3D API. This enables the developer to write a game for a single target (Java) and if there is 3D hardware available, it would take advantage of it. If not, then it will use a software engine.

3D accelerators in mobile phones make a huge difference. You get nice features such as Anti-Aliasing and all the other perks of taking away a significant amount of the work load away from the main core. You are right in saying that good graphics doesn't equal good gameplay. But we have come to a point where for the game to contain more content and be playable on the higher resolution displays, we need more CPU Mhz.

Old 14-12-2007, 10:36 AM

PatricOj is on a distinguished road
More devices comin' up

Something like half a dozen N-Gage compatible phones have been publicly announced, but that doesn't mean that's it. We're adding handsets to that list as fast as we can. Nseries devices (or Multimedia Computers, according to Nokia jargon) are in the front line because of being technically high end, but also internal politics. N-Gage is a product of Nokia Multimedia, so it should be understandable why the devices of Nokia Multimedia - Nseries - are first in line. Adding and certifying N-Gage compatibility is some added effort to the product program of a device. Nseries product programs have had most interest to gain N-Gage compatibility, but again, it does not end there. We are closely working with the Mobile Phones guys, making the four digit devices. Enterprise Solutions making Eseries, have so far been less active, but we are looking forward to working with them also to add Eseries devices to N-Gage.

Old 04-06-2008, 04:15 PM
****Cad****

N81 Processor vs. N82 Dual Core processor with 3D chip

Well, the Nokia N81 processor does actually contain a 3D Acceleration Chip. In these latest Nseries N-gage enabled models, there are two different processors which are being utilized. There is the Freescale dual core processor chipset which is integrated in phones like the N95 and N82. And the there is also the single cored Freescale processor chipset present in the N81. Although the Dual-cores processor runs at a lower speed of 369Mhz than the Single-cores 399Mhz - it contains a seperate 3D Acceleration Chip. Then 1-dimensional human thinking would conclude that the N81 only has a single wit no 3D Chip WHAT SO EVER but this is not the case. The chipset prevelent in the N81 at 399Mhz DOES ACTUALLY CONTAIN 3D ACCELERATION HARDWARE. Yup take a deep breath, its true. It is stated as being single-cored because the 3D acceleration is running at a very low clockrate of below 40Mhz... so if you actually think about it, Nokia COULD probably OVERCLOCK this speed to a higher rate with a firmware upgrade? THEN N81 WOULD BE THE BEST N-GAGE DEVICE WITH 3D HARDWARE FINALLY WORKING! Ayo, wonder why they aint doing this people... or maybe their scared that the more acclaimed elite - N82 and N95 - would be put in grave danger!