All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 10-12-2007, 01:50 PM

Fats is on a distinguished road
N95 Gaming

As a long-time gamer, I was very excited to hear that the N95 will not only be one of the N-Gage V2 platforms, but also has a number of really decent games, ports and emulators already available.

I wanted to start this thread in an attempt to have a central location for all your N95 gaming needs, and as a place to recommend games for the phone. It's going to be very much N95 specific.

Once the N-Gage platform goes live, I'll also be posting information on the available games, and user-recommended games will be highlighted. Note that I'm not going to include demo games here, so SRE and the other N-Gage demos are missing.

We all know how many absolute crap games there are out there - mostly J2ME shovelware, and this thread is also designed to help us navigate through the minefield of awful games that really don't do the N95 any favours. What I'm looking for are the really high-quality games that look good, play well and run smoothly on the N95.

Games that get enough user recommendations here will be added to this original post. When you're posting about a game please give as much information as possible, or at least provide a URL so that I can read about it myself.

I've done quite a bit of hunting around since I got the phone, and I'll start off by populating this post with the games I've currently got installed on my N95. Games will be listed in alphabetical order.

C2Doom
Developer: Markus Mertama
Price: Shareware Doom is free, full version allows you to choose a WAD file and costs Ä5 to register.

A port of the doom engine that allows most Doom engine WAD files to be played on S60 phones. The full version allows any WAD file to be selected, and also provides a UI for configuration and launching of multiplayer games. The free version will only launch the original Doom 1 shareware WAD.

K-Rally
Developer: Infinite Dreams
Price: Ä10.19

Infinite Dreams really do pull out the stops with their mobile games. K-Rally is no exception - a slick top-down racer combining 2D and 3D objects. 4 cars race at a time, and are equipped with rockets and mines. There are quite a large number of tracks, including snow/ice versions and nighttime versions. There are lengthy championship and career modes included. This game simply oozes quality and puts a lot of lesser mobile games to shame.

Quake
Developer: "Hinkka"
Price: Free! (Donation link on the site)

A superb and blisteringly fast port of the Quake classic engine to S60 V3. It only works on Feature Pack 1 phones, which includes the N95. The QuakeWorld client is also available if you want to try your hand at multiplayer Quake on your phone. You can use the shareware Quake .pak files, as well as the full .paks.

ScummVM (wiki)
Developer: The ScummVM team
Price: Free!

ScummVM is a huge open-source collaboration bringing all the old Lucasarts adventure games (not just those written in the SCUMM engine) to various platforms. Over the years, it has been extended to include compatibility with many point-and-click games by various publishers. Example games include the Monkey Island series, Beneath a Steel Sky, Simon the Sorcerer and Indiana Jones. It's not so easy to get ScummVM up and running, but once you do there's a whole wealth of adventuring to be done.

Sky Force Reloaded
Price: Ä6.80

The latest in the Sky Force series of top-down vertical-scrolling shoot-em-ups, Infinite Dreams have added 8 new levels, new enemies and a new weapon to make this the ultimate version of Sky Force. As with all the Infinite games, I was impressed by the detail of the graphics and how smooth the gameplay is. These guys really do know how to knock out an impressive S60 game.

Snakes
Developer: Nokia
Price: Free!

The original S60 pack-in game from Nokia is still available for free download even after the V2 firmare upgrade. If it's not already on your phone, you can grab it from the link above, or by using the Download! application on your phone. Most of you should know the gist of this one.

Super Miners
Price: Ä6.80

A play on the old favourite Boulderdash, Super Miners is an incredibly detailed diamond-collecting game with 100 levels and multiplayer. The usual Infinite Dreams quality shines through again.

Post about the games you enjoy playing on the N95!

Old 10-12-2007, 01:50 PM

(reserved for future use)

Old 10-12-2007, 01:55 PM

PatricOj is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

How 'bout this?
http://www.firemint.com/megamonster.htm

Old 10-12-2007, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatricOj View Post
Haha, that looks brilliant. Very Rampage. I'll keep my eye on it.

Old 10-12-2007, 02:47 PM

PatricOj is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fats View Post
Haha, that looks brilliant. Very Rampage. I'll keep my eye on it.
It's actually possible that it's not publicly available yet. And no, unfortunately I can't share

As you wrote, there is a nice lineup of great games comin up once we get this N-Gage platform out. Those preview games are nice, but still far from the quality of my favourites

- And hey, check out this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5iECRRtQ5Fw

Old 10-12-2007, 07:00 PM

ChaosFire is on a distinguished road
Wirelessly posted (Sony Ericsson M600i: Opera/8.01 (J2ME/MIDP; Opera Mini/3.0.6560/1724; en; U; ssr))

StarWars:The Force Unleashed is one game to look out for.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KO5wRt-pSRM

Old 11-12-2007, 08:51 AM

3Shirts is on a distinguished road
Look out for star wars too: <youtube link>

Old 11-12-2007, 09:46 AM
Super Moderator

bartmanekul is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the links, I got doom shareware on mine now.

Cant get past the door though! Was there a use key in doom, or am I being thick?

Does anyone else have marble on the phones?

Old 11-12-2007, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartmanekul View Post
Thanks for the links, I got doom shareware on mine now.

Cant get past the door though! Was there a use key in doom, or am I being thick?

Does anyone else have marble on the phones?
Use is mapped (for me) to the left softmenu key. That's in the full version using the Doom2 WAD at least.

Any more game recommendations for games that are already available? I'm sure there must be more good stuff out there, away from all the ad-ridden J2ME dumpsites!

edit: STAR WARS!!
Ads

Old 11-12-2007, 10:34 AM

chrsfrwll is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fats View Post
Any more game recommendations for games that are already available?
Well for me I spend far too much time playing Sudoku Time. A nice cheap version of the now classic game, available from Game Zone Project. With a version for your PC and your N95, with customisable boards, skill levels and help modes, as well as an in depth tutorial on how to solve the more complex boards, this game is a great time waster for those that like to use their minds rather than just their fingers.

Old 11-12-2007, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrsfrwll View Post
Well for me I spend far too much time playing Sudoku Time.
Actually, that's a good point. As Sudoku is probably the most played game on mobiles right now, if we decide on an "ultimate" implementation of the game on the 95, then I'll add it to the OP.

Old 11-12-2007, 03:58 PM

rottie is on a distinguished road
A must have for my phone, reinstalled after every upgrade:

- Burnout

- Sketcher

- Karaoke Gum(especially on N95 with Tv out!!!)

- Brothers in Arms 3D

- Fifa 07

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdmn_CmBoRE

- Monopoly
(can't find a screenshot)

and my all time favourite : YAHTZEE!!

Last edited by rottie; 11-12-2007 at 04:04 PM.

Old 11-12-2007, 04:01 PM

3Shirts is on a distinguished road
Just worth mentioning that Burnout MUST be the native (sis) version. The java one is jerky and crap but the sis one is smooth, clean and great fun.

Actually, generally speaking I avoid java games altogether, they are designed for 'lesser' phones and compared to the native stuff available for the N95, they are just not worth the bother.

Last edited by 3Shirts; 11-12-2007 at 04:04 PM.

Old 11-12-2007, 07:33 PM

Ombladon is on a distinguished road
:)

what games does N95 have from the manufactor (from stock)

Old 11-12-2007, 07:41 PM

Ombladon is on a distinguished road
and , can you up-load new ones? how,via USB?