All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 19-12-2006, 10:55 AM

colonel is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Anyone else can't update from E61 v2 to v3 ? or is it just me

the nokia updater just says that I have the latest software.
i have a generic e61 with v2 software
Ads

Old 19-12-2006, 11:25 AM

elp is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by colonel

the nokia updater just says that I have the latest software.
i have a generic e61 with v2 software
- Are you sure that you've got a SIM free model and not an operator supplied model that has been unlocked? In the latter case, you'll need to wait until the original operator approves the new firmware before being able to upgrade.

- When firmware v2 came out, NSU kept telling me that my SIM free E61 was up to date even though it obviously wasn't. I was running NSU on my PC at work. One day, after weeks of trying, i had this brilliant idea of trying from my PC at home and, sure enough, NSU told me that an update was available. So try from another PC in another location, it might lead to different results.

Old 19-12-2006, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elp
- Are you sure that you've got a SIM free model and not an operator supplied model that has been unlocked? In the latter case, you'll need to wait until the original operator approves the new firmware before being able to upgrade.

- When firmware v2 came out, NSU kept telling me that my SIM free E61 was up to date even though it obviously wasn't. I was running NSU on my PC at work. One day, after weeks of trying, i had this brilliant idea of trying from my PC at home and, sure enough, NSU told me that an update was available. So try from another PC in another location, it might lead to different results.
1. Yes, its simfree non-operator nokia generic
2. I have tried 2 PCs already. perhaps I'll try a third.

I think maybe that nokia download sets of serial numbers to check, maybe mine will take another few days - damn.

Don't suppose anyone knows how to force the upgrade ;-)

Old 20-12-2006, 10:21 AM

marcol is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Don't suppose anyone knows how to force the upgrade ;-)
Yes. I have a T-Mobile UK branded and locked E61 that NSU refused to even upgrade to v2 firmware and yesterday after realising that it was now two generations behind the latest I did what I'd been contemplating for a while:

1) Changed the product code using the Nemesis Service Suite. I followed the instructions here exactly:

http://www.averageadmins.com/blog/20...the-nokia-e61/

and changed the code from 0537400 to 0523307.

2) Ran NSU. Firmware was updated to 3.0633.09.04.

Comments.

1) After restarting it asked me to pick a country. I chose 'United Kingdom'. As best I can tell the keys are mapped just fine. The , $, keys all give the right character for instance.

2) The T-Mobile splashscreen no longer appears upon device start up. The device starts more quickly now.

3) Free phone memory seems to have increased by at least a couple of MB.

4) It still works fine on T-Mobile! Calls, data, voicemail, SMS all as was. This was true even before restoring anything from backup.

5) I restored from a card backup using the 'Memory' app. This was basically fine but a couple of apps needed to be reinstalled and a couple asked again for the registration code. All of the paired bluetooth devices were forgotten and needed to be paired again. The menu screen reverted to the mess it was when the device was new (when will Nokia learn to alphabetize?) and needed to reorganised.

WARNING. The average admins page (linked above) says:

"None of the following is supported, recommended, or warranted by average admins or any of its contributors. Perform the following steps at your own risk. average admins, nor its contributors, can be held responsible for what you do to your phone or equipment. Backup anything from your device before proceeding with the following steps as the following steps reformat your device and turn it in to a bare-bones Nokia phone."

I can only reiterated that point. If you do this you do it at your own risk. I'm no lawyer but I quite expect you'll invalidate any warranty from your operator, supplier or Nokia and if it all goes wrong you're probably screwed. Even if all is fine now, think about what would happen if the device develops a fault (even one that's unrelated to firmware) in the future. How would you deal with returning a phone with the 'wrong' firmware?

Old 20-12-2006, 10:49 AM

thats really interesting, thx
I will wait a few weeks, if it still doesn't upgrade I may try this method.

this is a list of known product codes:
http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=1061235

mine is 0538289 which is generic UK. So i guess no UK phones are being updated at the moment ?

Last edited by colonel; 20-12-2006 at 10:57 AM.

Old 20-12-2006, 11:14 AM

marcol is on a distinguished road
Quote:
thats really interesting, thx
I will wait a few weeks, if it still doesn't upgrade I may try this method.

this is a list of known product codes:
http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=1061235

mine is 0538289 which is generic UK. So i guess no UK phones are being updated at the moment ?
I got info from that howardforums thread and also from:

http://www.e-series.org/archives/105

especially posts from epanda on September 14th, 2006 at 5:49 pm and Jim McDonald on November 18th, 2006 at 10:31 am.

Old 20-12-2006, 08:50 PM

alphasports is on a distinguished road
I let loose a bit of a rant yesterday about my crashing NSU during the update process, but I finally managed to update my phone, even though it only upgraded to V2 firmware (I think mine was the last V1 phone to get the upgrade!)

After doing the V2 upgrade normally, I downloaded the Nemesis Service Suite and changed my product code from my old 0538289 to your recommended 0523307 and it worked like a champ, now I'm up to V3!

Thanks for the tip on your code #, I tried a bunch yesterday to no avail.