All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 09-11-2009, 02:32 PM

nitro fan is on a distinguished road
Exclamation BBC iPlayer no longer working

For some reason BBC iPlayer no longer works on my 5800XM
all I get is a page telling me to download iPlayer.

I have tried uninstalling the iPlayer app from the phone and reinstalling from OVI
I have also tried going to iplyer direct with my phones browser.

Is anyone else having this problem and does anyone know how to fix it?

Old 09-11-2009, 06:58 PM

seki is on a distinguished road
Beer Why not download

the new version .. since there has been an upgrade .. I assume the BBC have dropped support for the old one from their servers .. hence you're being sent to an upgrade page.

Good Luck!

Old 10-11-2009, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seki View Post
the new version .. since there has been an upgrade .. I assume the BBC have dropped support for the old one from their servers .. hence you're being sent to an upgrade page.

Good Luck!
Hi there,
I realise that I have installed it but it just takes me back to the same page upgrade page every time I launch it!

Old 12-11-2009, 11:54 PM

jj71 is on a distinguished road
Mine did this too. I loaded the new version a few times before it worked. I don't know what the hitch was but I notice that with the new one it doesn't offer the download option for programmes if there's no wi-fi in range. It occured to me that perhaps having the wi-fi in range and connected at the time of installation might help. Just a hunch, though..

This may help: the old version shows up in the "download" file (file manager -> E memory -> download) as iplayer5800.wgz . The new one is in the same place as "iplayer.wgz . Unless I have them back to front!

It sounds like your new version has failed to replace the old one for some reason. Only suggestion is to remove all trace of iplayer (again!) and iplayer5800, make sure all the wee shortcut logo things are gone, maybe even turn phone off and on at this point, then use the "web" browser to go to the iplayer site and do a new download. And keep wi-fi in range (it may not help but it can't hurt).

Don't use Opera mini browser for this.It's great normally but because it sends all the data via its compression servers (to make it faster) it stops the bbc site working out which device version of iplayer you'll need.

Old 13-11-2009, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj71 View Post
Mine did this too. I loaded the new version a few times before it worked. I don't know what the hitch was but I notice that with the new one it doesn't offer the download option for programmes if there's no wi-fi in range. It occured to me that perhaps having the wi-fi in range and connected at the time of installation might help. Just a hunch, though..

This may help: the old version shows up in the "download" file (file manager -> E memory -> download) as iplayer5800.wgz . The new one is in the same place as "iplayer.wgz . Unless I have them back to front!

It sounds like your new version has failed to replace the old one for some reason. Only suggestion is to remove all trace of iplayer (again!) and iplayer5800, make sure all the wee shortcut logo things are gone, maybe even turn phone off and on at this point, then use the "web" browser to go to the iplayer site and do a new download. And keep wi-fi in range (it may not help but it can't hurt).

Don't use Opera mini browser for this.It's great normally but because it sends all the data via its compression servers (to make it faster) it stops the bbc site working out which device version of iplayer you'll need.

Thanks for the tip worked like a dream
Thanks for taking the time
Ads