All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 02-09-2008, 02:13 PM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
Hands-on preview of the Nokia N79

Rafe gives his first impressions of the Nokia N79, along with detailed analysis on exactly who it will appeal to and where it fits into Nokia's burgeoning Nseries range. The hardware is the main focus as Rafe takes an early look at a prototype of Nokia's latest Nseries 'candybar' handset.

Read on in the full article.

Old 02-09-2008, 03:28 PM
Administrator

Tzer2 is on a distinguished road
The N79's keypad layout reminded me of the 5500, I think it's the way it has a flat keypad with separate horizontal strips:

Old 02-09-2008, 07:08 PM

Dextro is on a distinguished road
I'm still curious about the new XpressOn Covers, would love to se a video of someone changing covers.

Old 02-09-2008, 09:15 PM
teamet

Dammit!

I was sure my next phone would be the 6220 - and now they introduce THIS!! Omg nokia, very well played.

Old 02-09-2008, 09:39 PM

nparayo is on a distinguished road
This will make the covers more expensive i expect, i remember back in the days of 7210/50 even eariler changable covers Nokias offical ones cost like 10-15 a pop, which is rediculous for even todays value. how much will these cost 20-25??
Ads

Old 03-09-2008, 12:29 AM
Unregistered

No matter how hard I try, I still can't bring myself to like the look of this phone. What annoys me is that people bagged the silver N82 when it came out for being ugly etc yet carry on about how nice this phone is. If I had to choose on looks, the N82 wins hands down. I also have the N78 and it beats them both in looks. However, the N78 suffers because of the back cover. Have they improved this one piece style cover in the N79? I've had to stick some tape inside the back of my N78 cover (where the battery sits against it) so to stop the creaking.

Old 03-09-2008, 04:26 AM

ashu is on a distinguished road
n 79

i feel this phone gonna out smart the more famous cousin n 85 in sales! This is going to be extremely popular with non geeks, non business users and will lure many a students, housewives and girls in india at least. Why. Because it packs all the goodies with the looks. I agree with rafe. The keypad is better than n 82 and n 78. Had they got xenon into this, it would have literally killed n 82

Old 03-09-2008, 10:29 AM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
No matter how hard I try, I still can't bring myself to like the look of this phone. What annoys me is that people bagged the silver N82 when it came out for being ugly etc yet carry on about how nice this phone is. If I had to choose on looks, the N82 wins hands down. I also have the N78 and it beats them both in looks. However, the N78 suffers because of the back cover. Have they improved this one piece style cover in the N79? I've had to stick some tape inside the back of my N78 cover (where the battery sits against it) so to stop the creaking.
The N78 problem has been fixed. Unfortunately the first batch of handsets have the back cover issue you mention.

I like the design of the N79, but I would agree the N78 is also nice (appealing in different ways). I imagine we'll see different N79 colours variants before too long. I really liked the build quality of the N82, but do find it a bit shiny. Just goes to show how these things are subjective...

ashu - precisely - I think this phone will appeal to a different set of people than other Nseries phones.

Old 03-09-2008, 01:43 PM
Administrator

Tzer2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Had they got xenon into this, it would have literally killed n 82
I still reckon this was originally intended as a replacement for the N82, as the appearance of the N82's thin keys seemed to be putting some people off getting the phone.

Old 03-09-2008, 01:50 PM
Unregistered

can you use the fm tranmitter only for the musicplayer?

or is it possible to send sound from other application like games, navi internet radio etc to an fm radio?

Old 15-10-2008, 01:51 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post

or is it possible to send sound from other application like games, navi internet radio etc to an fm radio?
Ignore the insults; it's a perfectly reasonable question. Going off the N78 and the software is the same, then yes you can. You turn the FM transmitter on and it transmits all of the phones sounds, not just music.

Old 19-10-2008, 01:33 AM
Unregistered

This looks like a really nice phone, but if you buy this because it has xpress-on covers....thats just messed up. You could go to ebay, buy a display model for a fraction of the price, and have loads of joy with interchangeable covers. This is a terrible review of a good phone, and this is complete garbage "Most importantly, for many, the the appeal of the N79 will have nothing to do with camera specification and everything to do with the ability to personalise it with Xpress-on covers." Again, buy a display model.

Old 08-03-2009, 05:55 PM
Unregistered

fm Transmitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered

Ignore the insults; it's a perfectly reasonable question. Going off the N78 and the software is the same, then yes you can. You turn the FM transmitter on and it transmits all of the phones sounds, not just music.

Does this mean i will be able to send phone calls via the fm transmitter to my car radio???