All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 08-11-2002, 01:00 AM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Microsoft's respons to the Sendo move

Quote:
Originally Posted by invaders
Here's Microsoft's respons to the Sendo move:

I wanted to give you some information on to why they pulled their agreement with us.
Microsoft does not view Sendo's decision to take Series 60 as big setback for the platform, which as you know just launched on the Orange network in Europe. In a nascent market, where handset manufacturers are making a range of investments in software, natural selection will occur. The best software will win and ultimately, the customer (both user and mobile operator) is the winner.
Sentiments that almost everyone here at AAS would agree with, we just think Symbian will win because they have the better software (and to be the devil's advocate so must Sendo - of course the only other reason they may have switched were if they were foreced to by MS dumping them, and that seems unlikely... Reading between the lines it seems Sendo prefer the open(er) source approach of Series 60 and Symbian. They also like the standards support notably Java (J2ME) and MMS.

Quote:
From a Smartphone software product point, to date Orange is shipping the Microsoft-powered SPV Smartphone in volume to markets across Europe and Samsung, 3rd largest handset manufacturer, has unveiled its Smartphone handset and is making great progress towards availability as is Compal.
Saying it (Orange SPV) is shipping is a little optimistic. Isn't it due to start shipping next week. I asked Orange and they said maybe and if it was in small numbers. They were still looking at technical issues. Also saying these devices are coming is only so much, afterall the Z100 was going to launch next week or so and still got cancelled, might the same not happen to the others?

And Samsung also have a Series 60 / Symbian license whats to stop them deciding Symbian only (true this works the other way round, but MS looks shaky with one defection already). I hardly see how losing 1/3 of your product range can not be a big set back. After all we know of 3 announced Series 60 products (3650, 7650, N-Gage), and Siemens Series 60 is due any day now. With Sanyo, Panasonic and now Sendo also liscensees and also producing Series 60 devices (maybe more than one each?) the product line up look like it could be anything up to 12 Series 60 units soon. 1 has already launched and sold 1 million units. Series 60 sure looks strong from where I'm standing.

Quote:
We feel confident in our hardware partners and our strong relationships and commitments from mobile operators around the world and most of all our software.
For all this confidence there's very little substance. Commitments from mobile operators wont be enough. You need to win the users too. Thats where Nokia has the strongest hand. It has the Nike or Coca-Cola of the mobile phone world. Worse there is no price difference. If people can buy the cool brand for the same price then.... and we might ask why its cool - well good design, nice looking phones and an easy to use interface and UI / OS. The UI always seems to come in for praise in the reviews and for good reason it is good. Then there the stability issue something which is widely acknowledged to be a Symbian strong point. Yes both Smartphone have reports of crashing but many many users here will tell you their 7650 has never crashed how many IPAQ (I'm using this PPC example when it really a different market, but I know abot it) or Smartphone users can say this?

I'm glad you have confidence in your software - I'd be very worried if you didn't! But when it doesn't have some of the features of Symbian OS well surely its feature poor and this has got to be something which counts against it.

Quote:
Additionally, with recent new OEM commitments from leading manufactures (i.e. Dell, Samsung, Siemens) within the last month, the Pocket PC platform is experiencing positive growth and industry momentum.
Ah but Pocket PC is rather a different market to Smartphone and will honestly be dwarfed. 10,000's of units compared to millions - I know which revenue stream I'd go for.

Quote:
Once I have more information, I will let you know, and answer the questions that people have asked, but this is all that I know at the moment.
That would be appreciated. At the moment it rather looks like Sendo dumped Microsoft in favout of Series 60 suggesting it thinks Series 60 is better. They must know what they're doing being an established cellphone maker. Or don't you agree?

If your answering questions I'd be interested to know what MS proposes to do abouts its stake in Sendo - will they use it for leverage or simply sell it?

Additionally Nokia have said they will sell at least 10 million Series 60 devices themselves - woudl you care to give us a similar number for Smartphone 2002?

Rafe

Old 08-11-2002, 05:52 AM

They fight & they will improve.

User get more choice.
User buy & Device maker win.$$$

Old 08-11-2002, 02:09 PM
Super Moderator

SwitchBlade is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous
They fight & they will improve.
M$ do not understand this. Hence why each iteration of windoze is worst than the one before. M$ need to start thinking fast, do they want to be on smartphones or want to combat Suse and Mandrake, both of whom's Linux installations have been described as "Easier than Windows XP".
A weekly science fiction serial by me, written on a 9500/E90.
Ads

Old 08-11-2002, 03:03 PM
Super Moderator

GhostDog will become famous soon enough
Man!!! All this in one day,i just finished reading the PPC forum,i feel sorry for those guys,they take things too personal
We are much nicer,polite,sexy,the girls love us community

Please don't PM me with something that belongs in the forums.Search first,then ask.

Old 08-11-2002, 08:50 PM

eidrian is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostDog
Man!!! All this in one day,i just finished reading the PPC forum,i feel sorry for those guys,they take things too personal
Well, I suppose that's somehow understandable , think about how should one fill (M$) if his very beautiful girlfriend (Sendo) has left him for a more handsome and stronger man (Nokia)

And to say "Welcome Back Sendo", to his girlfriend that just left him for the stronger man, it's not only very touching, but sound more like imploring... not very good idea if he claim his girlfriend was not so important after all ops:

Old 19-04-2004, 10:01 AM
Grit

M$ in trouble...

pffh, don't worry about Microsoft. If Symbian gets big enough they'll buy it and then Microsoft rules the mobile world again... They're clever -and- FILTHY RICH chaps at M$

Old 19-04-2004, 02:08 PM
Super Moderator

GhostDog will become famous soon enough
Yeah right.I guess they will also buy Nokia,SE and Siemens?

Please don't PM me with something that belongs in the forums.Search first,then ask.

Old 31-07-2004, 11:18 PM

SPEEDMAN is on a distinguished road
yes they will