All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 25-03-2004, 02:01 PM

TheSpecialBoy is on a distinguished road
Wirelessly posted (Nokia6600/1.0 (3.42.1) SymbianOS/7.0s Series60/2.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.0)

Well, i succeded to live the day when i puţ my hands on nokia's 9500 . I spent almost 30 minutes with 9500 and the felling was that nokia should work hard to get a good commi out from 9500. I'll start with the exterior first. The design is futuristic and convinced me that indeed the fins have an interesting way of seeing in terms of design. Exterior looks smooth. Nice tactile feeling and of corse almost perfect combination. Due to the camera on the back, the front lcd looks misplaced. That gived me the feeling that you can love or not the design of 9500 from the very begining. Still limited function on front panell but this will be explained later. Nice system of removing battery and....

Old 25-03-2004, 02:13 PM

Wirelessly posted (Nokia6600/1.0 (3.42.1) SymbianOS/7.0s Series60/2.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.0)

And accessing battery and mmc. The parts does not seems to be very resistant but we will have to see in time after few bumps and drops. The average external feeling in terms of resistance was that the 9566 is more fragile than its predecerors. I love the camera positioning and the quality and due to the black color of the front panell you get a nice contrast effect when taking pictures. Still the quality of front lcd of series 4 DOES not fit with 9500. When open, the 9500 reveals a very nice keyboard and a crystal glass covered lcd feeling. All the keys are united and you get 2 reference spots on middle row keys to increase orientation tactile feeling. What i did not liked was the...

Old 25-03-2004, 02:50 PM

Disliked the function keys color and the feeling of a very crowded key

Old 25-03-2004, 03:03 PM

Disliked the function keys color and the feeling of a very crowded key

Old 25-03-2004, 05:55 PM

Ismail is on a distinguished road
ok why didnt u just put this all in one post

anyway software wise is it good?

Old 25-03-2004, 11:10 PM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
I think because he's posting via wap Its tricky to remember what you've said

Old 26-03-2004, 10:51 AM

awyeah is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafe
I think because he's posting via wap Its tricky to remember what you've said
but WAP is then again expensive and
GPRS is cheaper.

--
awyeah

Old 26-03-2004, 10:52 AM
ivansergei1

Smile

Good work SpecialBoy!
(ai facut o treaba buna!!!)

Old 26-03-2004, 01:59 PM
Super Moderator

GhostDog will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by awyeah
but WAP is then again expensive and
GPRS is cheaper.

--
awyeah
Are you for real,wap is free in most countries while GPRS is expensive.

Please don't PM me with something that belongs in the forums.Search first,then ask.

Old 26-03-2004, 03:31 PM

Thumbs up

Well, I quit after several tries to edit my review on nokia 6600. I got calls and i loose all the text I entered.

But now is OK.

9500 @ CEBIT

Well, i succeded to live the day when i puţ my hands on nokia's 9500 .

I spent almost 30 minutes with 9500 and the felling was that nokia should work hard to get a good commi out from 9500.

I'll start with the exterior first. The design is futuristic and convinced me that indeed the fins have an interesting way of seeing in terms of design. Exterior looks smooth. Nice tactile feeling and of corse almost perfect combination. Due to the camera on the back, the front lcd looks misplaced. That gived me the feeling that you can love or not the design of 9500 from the very begining. Still limited function on front panell but this will be explained later.

Nice system of removing battery and accessing battery and mmc. The parts does not seems to be very resistant but we will have to see in time after few bumps and drops.

The average external feeling in terms of resistance was that the 9566 is more fragile than its predecerors. I love the camera positioning and the quality and due to the black color of the front panell you get a nice visual contrast effect when taking pictures.

Still the quality of front lcd of series 4 DOES not fit with 9500.

When open, the 9500 reveals a very nice keyboard and a crystal glass covered lcd feeling.

All the keys are united and you get 2 reference spots on middle row keys to increase orientation tactile feeling. What i did not liked was the color of the function keys, i don`t like yellow and black.

One major increase is that the Help Key can be activated only in combination with another one and this prevents the acces of Help app by mistake.

The mouse function of the special key is defectuous at this time. I have try it and is worse than I expected. Also nokia R&D team that was showing the 9500 told me they don` like it yet and due to the fact they did not accomodate with it they use the arrow keys.

Using arrow keys is simple and very precise :p compare to the 9500 mouse...

Internal functions:

First: There are some good news.

The new series 8 moves quick, precise and user can see all the aplications that are open without needing a switcher or app manager. :p That is a + for memory manageability.

The quality of LCD is ok, the colors are more vivid, contrast and brightness is better than on 9210.

The LCD is covered by some crystal glass that gives to the user a feeling of perfect image.

I noticed that when the LCD is seen from sides (not frontal) gives some shadows effects that are embarassing and annoying. This is the major fault i can claim from the 9500............until now, of course.....

The control panel is changed, and looks like the curent file exprlorer from 9210. is splited in two and on the left one you have the functions and folders and on right the descriptions and settings.....SAitting now at my laptop i cannot quite remember exactly how it was. One thing i did not understod, is how you can create folders in control panel, like you do now on 9210 with e-extras... Nokia sais you can...we will see.

The user interface is a litle more user friendly, but the principles of accesing it and browse-it remains the same.

I loved the contacts features and what i liked most::

Now you can EDIT powerpoint slides.!!!!!!! 10x nokia.

The browser of the 9500 is ok, and it is OPERA. the browser accepts cookies but there are some issues on applets...it will be fixed i guess.

The applications move fast, it is indeed agood progress.

Browsing the net using GPRS or Wi-Fi it is cool, and very useful.It is functioning indeed.

In terms of score---software wise i would go with a 9/10 note and for design 8.5/10.

In terms of usage 9/10 and in terms of future-proof technology 8/10.

Conclusion.....

I was expecting nokia to show some new and future technologies but it was not so. Anyhow, i understoot that this communicator is only the begining of a new communicator series, so as i used to say...."Grand Ma` the bingo game is about to begin!".
Ads

Old 30-03-2004, 01:24 PM

awyeah is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSpecialBoy
Well, I quit after several tries to edit my review on nokia 6600. I got calls and i loose all the text I entered.

But now is OK.

9500 @ CEBIT

Well, i succeded to live the day when i puţ my hands on nokia's 9500 .

I spent almost 30 minutes with 9500 and the felling was that nokia should work hard to get a good commi out from 9500.

I'll start with the exterior first. The design is futuristic and convinced me that indeed the fins have an interesting way of seeing in terms of design. Exterior looks smooth. Nice tactile feeling and of corse almost perfect combination. Due to the camera on the back, the front lcd looks misplaced. That gived me the feeling that you can love or not the design of 9500 from the very begining. Still limited function on front panell but this will be explained later.

Nice system of removing battery and accessing battery and mmc. The parts does not seems to be very resistant but we will have to see in time after few bumps and drops.

The average external feeling in terms of resistance was that the 9566 is more fragile than its predecerors. I love the camera positioning and the quality and due to the black color of the front panell you get a nice visual contrast effect when taking pictures.

Still the quality of front lcd of series 4 DOES not fit with 9500.

When open, the 9500 reveals a very nice keyboard and a crystal glass covered lcd feeling.

All the keys are united and you get 2 reference spots on middle row keys to increase orientation tactile feeling. What i did not liked was the color of the function keys, i don`t like yellow and black.

One major increase is that the Help Key can be activated only in combination with another one and this prevents the acces of Help app by mistake.

The mouse function of the special key is defectuous at this time. I have try it and is worse than I expected. Also nokia R&D team that was showing the 9500 told me they don` like it yet and due to the fact they did not accomodate with it they use the arrow keys.

Using arrow keys is simple and very precise :p compare to the 9500 mouse...

Internal functions:

First: There are some good news.

The new series 8 moves quick, precise and user can see all the aplications that are open without needing a switcher or app manager. :p That is a + for memory manageability.

The quality of LCD is ok, the colors are more vivid, contrast and brightness is better than on 9210.

The LCD is covered by some crystal glass that gives to the user a feeling of perfect image.

I noticed that when the LCD is seen from sides (not frontal) gives some shadows effects that are embarassing and annoying. This is the major fault i can claim from the 9500............until now, of course.....

The control panel is changed, and looks like the curent file exprlorer from 9210. is splited in two and on the left one you have the functions and folders and on right the descriptions and settings.....SAitting now at my laptop i cannot quite remember exactly how it was. One thing i did not understod, is how you can create folders in control panel, like you do now on 9210 with e-extras... Nokia sais you can...we will see.

The user interface is a litle more user friendly, but the principles of accesing it and browse-it remains the same.

I loved the contacts features and what i liked most::

Now you can EDIT powerpoint slides.!!!!!!! 10x nokia.

The browser of the 9500 is ok, and it is OPERA. the browser accepts cookies but there are some issues on applets...it will be fixed i guess.

The applications move fast, it is indeed agood progress.

Browsing the net using GPRS or Wi-Fi it is cool, and very useful.It is functioning indeed.

In terms of score---software wise i would go with a 9/10 note and for design 8.5/10.

In terms of usage 9/10 and in terms of future-proof technology 8/10.

Conclusion.....

I was expecting nokia to show some new and future technologies but it was not so. Anyhow, i understoot that this communicator is only the begining of a new communicator series, so as i used to say...."Grand Ma` the bingo game is about to begin!".

The LCD was always a major problem. It is a active matrix LCD hence the
colors would invert if you move them away from your eyes slowly when
the angle increases. TFT screens mainly in cellular devices are like that.
They need more transistors. You can assume the same type of screens
on ATM machines, when you look from the side you see a blank screen
same is as the case with this.

You should know about your product how does it work, and whats the
concept behind it, not just simply know how to use it.

The phone side, front is not very impressive and could be stylish.
And the camera lens is bulging out of the phone on the backside.
Meaning you cant keep it on the backside on the table or flat
surface, it will wobble and the lens might get scratched rite??

Rest, I'm not sure I have had a chance to see one myslef. It would be only
availiable here when mentioned, then I would get a chance to see it.

--
awyeah