All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 16-10-2008, 10:54 AM

Jago is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

I second Sandy and would recommend Tracker -

It doesn't have a contacts picture view or the second utility row in the standby screen but has everything else including (an optional) taskviewer and recently used list, whilst being more flexible and offers more functionality including :

Speed dials, speed contacts/sms/mms/email, links to files, folders, apps, weblinks and documents all with hot keys and in definable folders.

Still it's all personal preference....

I haven't checked out GDesk for a while - it looked a bit basic compared to Tracker whne I was in the market....

Cheers
Jago

Old 14-11-2008, 05:31 PM

Foxhunter is on a distinguished road
Just loaded package of Handy (Shell+Weather+Calendar+Safe) on my new E71 and just love it. Adds loads of options without losing anything from the original views. One press off the 'home' button and you're back to phone's standard interface. Haven't found any loss of functions eg speakerphone icon still appears on soft blue key when you make a call - maybe it just really suits the E71 but it's a hit with me.

Old 18-12-2008, 11:13 PM

electristan is on a distinguished road
just tried it out on my e71 as well and its a very positive experiance so far. also i whent over to the epocware site and they have a 50% sale on everything so i got this for $22. not to shabby. oh, i'm not paid to say this btw (and today's date is 18/12/2008)

Old 24-12-2008, 10:06 PM
Unregistered

Cool Handy Shell, Weather and Taskman on Nokia 5800 Express Music

I just purchased Handy Shell . . btw electristan is right i got 50% off . . what made the deal even sweeter is that Handy Weather and Handy Taskman came for free with Handy Shell . . i am not being payed to say this either . . altough the tought is nice . . anyways on the 5800 Express Music touch interface this software works perticularly well and it deff. beats the standard contacts bar and shortcuts bar home screen.

Pros:
-Highly customisable to suit indevidual needs
-Simple to use . . altough a pain to set up (im a perfectionst)
-5 day weather forcast on the homescreen looks sweet

Cons:
-I HATE the clock and wish i could change to analogue mode or change its font
-No music display on home screen if i have a song playing in the background!!!
-Slows down phone as it keeps some applications running on stanby =(

Conclusion:
Its a no brainer for 5800 owners and its the only s60 5th compatible software that lets you modify and customized your active standby menu. Im the first guy in my office with this phone and this software makes the phone look cooler needless to say easier to use and more functional .

P.S: I NEED THE TRACK/MUSIC DISPLAY ON THE HOME SCREEN!!

Old 24-12-2008, 10:12 PM
Unregistered

Exclamation Handy Shell, Weather and Taskman on Nokia 5800 Express Music (Part 2)

O yeah i forgot to add that the "Dial and Start" feature does not work on the 5800 becuase there is no dial pad . . the "virtual" or rather "soft" dial pad does not activate this feature. The makes of this software need to come up with an alternate way for us 5800 users to access this feature as not having it is a real bummer.

Anyways im done writing about this damn oftware .. wow .. i think i just waisted 20 mins of my life .. anyways now that i have donated 20 mins of my life to this post i hope it will be helpfull to some one .. some where .. =)

Old 04-01-2009, 09:25 AM
Unregistered

Alternatives?

I've been looking for a while but are there any alternatives to this for the 5800?

Old 11-01-2009, 10:12 PM
Unregistered

Almost Great....

Handy Shell is an almost great application. Two "annoyances" that, for me, defeat it on my E71: one has been mentioned -- the mail indicator on the home screen doesn't work with Microsoft for Exchange, so I have no home page indicator for my most important mailbox. Second, the Contacts application appears to have a digit limit for each phone number -- so my work voicemail box, which has the log-in numbers included in the dial string with pauses, works fine with Nokia's standard 1-touch dialing, but is truncated in the Handy Contacts screen.

I also agree that the absence of the music player plug-in on the home screen is a minor negative -- but I could live with that if the two problems above were fixed

Old 19-01-2009, 02:52 PM
Unregistered

Gdesk

I think GDesk is the perfect replacement but it still needs some time till it brings some designs for the 5800 and i have read in some threads that Gary the guy from GDesk is looking for donations in order to make much more improvements to GDesk.

so i think it will not take too much time till we see GDesk throwing great designs for 5800 and keeping in mind that it is Free!!!1!
Ads

Old 23-02-2009, 02:57 PM

vsuraj is on a distinguished road
Is a good app

I wrote a review way back in September 08. Check it out.
http://www.bestofsymbian.com/review-...from-epocware/

Suraj@bestofsymbian.com

Old 06-08-2009, 08:39 AM
Unregistered

Useless

I had uninstalled after only 1 day. The only thing i like is dialog screen but you can use skyquikey for that (or tnav). No more "to do"on today screen. Clock is unnecessary big.

Old 13-03-2010, 04:12 AM
David34532

Not very good :(

I'm on N95 8GB and found that I uninstalled it after a few minutes. I actually use the handy taskman already which I found very nice, but I just hated the large digital clock and the missing softkey shortcuts. For N95 8GB owners, check out vHOME! Best symbian app by far! It's pretty much what Handy shell should be! Lots of customisations plus you can have two home screens!