All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 07-08-2006, 01:46 PM

IkeE70 is on a distinguished road
E70 offline-profile problem

My E70 recently developed a problem which as I recall correctly wasn't there in the beginning:
When I switch my phone to the offline-profile and then switch it back to online ("general" profile) I can't start up "Messaging". A blank screen will appear but the normal messaging screen will never come up. I have to switch my phone off to restore the messaging fucntionality.
Does anyone have any coments or a solution to this problem?

Firmware version:
30-05-06
RM-10

Thanks,

Ike.
Ads

Old 07-08-2006, 03:01 PM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by IkeE70
My E70 recently developed a problem which as I recall correctly wasn't there in the beginning:
When I switch my phone to the offline-profile and then switch it back to online ("general" profile) I can't start up "Messaging". A blank screen will appear but the normal messaging screen will never come up. I have to switch my phone off to restore the messaging fucntionality.
Does anyone have any coments or a solution to this problem?

Firmware version:
30-05-06
RM-10
What application do you run immediately before the problem occurs each time? The usual culprit for this sort of thing is a rogue application or some sort of system corruption creeping in from inserting an expansion card from a different device. Do either of these scenarios ring a bell?

Steve

Old 07-08-2006, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slitchfield
What application do you run immediately before the problem occurs each time? The usual culprit for this sort of thing is a rogue application or some sort of system corruption creeping in from inserting an expansion card from a different device. Do either of these scenarios ring a bell?

Steve
I don't have to run any application. I can reproduce the problem like this:
Set phone to "general"
Switch off phone
Switch on phone
Switch to Offline profile
Switch to General profile
Open Messaging
-> messaging hangs. I can still do other things on the phone. "Messaging" remains in the active applications list. (but can't be activated)

I haven't installed any downloaded software on the phone at all. Only default (pre-installed) applications.

Old 08-08-2006, 05:59 AM
Administrator

Sounds like a corruption in the system folders still. Do your usual syncs and backup of documents from the internal disk and follow my 'post-virus' procedure: http://3lib.ukonline.co.uk/viruscleanup.htm

I'm sure that'll fix it.

Steve

Old 08-08-2006, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Sounds like a corruption in the system folders still. Do your usual syncs and backup of documents from the internal disk and follow my 'post-virus' procedure: http://3lib.ukonline.co.uk/viruscleanup.htm

I'm sure that'll fix it.

Steve
Thanks Steve, I will try that sometime. The problem is that I can't backup all my settings, like frequently used access points (passwords, wifi wep-keys) and email settings (phone's connected to an Imap mailbox).

Ike.

Old 09-08-2006, 06:13 AM
Administrator

Er... why can't you? Just write them down somewhere....? I know it's a slight hassle having to re-enter them all, but at least you've got a keyboard to enter them with.... 8-)

Steve

Old 09-08-2006, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Er... why can't you? Just write them down somewhere....? I know it's a slight hassle having to re-enter them all, but at least you've got a keyboard to enter them with.... 8-)

Steve
Well, I can ofcourse, but it will be a bit of a hassle. I need to find out exactly what the passwords are and what the wep-keys are for the various wlan networks I connect to. One can't read this info on the phone.

To be able to send email from anywhere I have a special smtp account setup on one of our company's servers. I have no idea what the password for that account is. I have entered it in my phone and then forgot it. I probably need to reset the password on the smtp server.

I regularly connect to 3 different wlan's. I don't have a list of WEP-keys for each of them available, so I need to find out what the wep-keys are first (by contacting administrators).

I use some password-protected websites and have the passwords saved in the bookmarks of the phone. I need to find these passwords as well.

In general it's just a hassle to have to setup everything on the phone again. Just as I don't like to reinstall my PC, I also rather not have to reinstall my phone.

However, this offline-profile problem is also a pain, so I will try and reinstall everything as you suggested.

Ike.

Old 10-08-2006, 05:53 AM
Administrator

Sorry if this sounds like preaching, but users should ALWAYS have passwords and keys and so on, written down somewhere, for just such an occasion as this. As someone who often does tech support, it's so frustrating when I ask someone to put in their POP3 password (to take a simple example) and they say 'I don't know what it is'. 'But you set it up and you chose it!', I reply...

8-)

So, although it's a hassle, acquire the info, input it into your freshly reset smartphone and also write everything down in a secure database or password protected document on your PC or, via HandySafe, on your smartphone.

Steve