All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 03-11-2008, 05:52 PM
Administrator

Tzer2 is on a distinguished road
All About N-Gage reviews ONE

Possibly the most long-awaited game on the new N-Gage platform, the 3D beat-em-up ONE (sequel to the original N-Gage game of the same name) has been reviewed on All About N-Gage by our very own Highlander Ewan Spence. He's pretty darn impressed by the gameplay and graphics, but is that enough to win it the Mega-Game? Click on the link to find out...

Read on in the full article.

Old 03-11-2008, 05:55 PM
Administrator

Tzer2 is on a distinguished road
In case anyone's wondering, the next gen ONE was previously known as "ONE: Who's Next?". They changed the title to just "ONE" for marketing purposes.

The original gen ONE was a different game, which used a different game engine (though it obviously has a lot of similarities with the sequel, and apparently uses the same motion-captured moves).
Ads

Old 03-11-2008, 09:30 PM
Unregistered

Shame the graphics are not hardware accelerated, the original version running on MBX was fantastic, imagine an SGX version!

Old 04-11-2008, 09:07 AM
Unregistered2

Playing the game on phone keypads is only for phones without dedicated gaming buttons like the N82. I have played ONE on N85 with dedicated gaming buttons and when connected to the TV it's just like using a dedicated gaming controller.

Old 04-11-2008, 10:46 AM
davidlian

Gaming Keys

I agree with Unregistered2. Works great on my N96 and chalks one more reason why touchscreen doesn't hold a candle to dual sliders with gaming keys built in.

Old 04-11-2008, 11:13 AM
Unregistered

Not every mobile game needs to be a match-three colors piece of crap. If there's only casual gamers in the mobile space is just because most games there simply suck. Bring on the good games, and the people will follow. I think this is just one step in the good direction. Having good controls in the phones would be also great :-P

Old 04-11-2008, 09:51 PM
Bonobo

Ooooh why does Helga slide on her bare knees when she's victorious in the car park?.. Ouuch!

Old 05-11-2008, 05:43 PM

argh is on a distinguished road
As I mentioned, as a developer of software (including 3D software, but the only games that I've written have been free), developers want the 3D hardware acceleration too.

EA confirms that they also see it as an issue at the Nokia Games Summit here (found at SymbianFreak), amongst other issues.

I've already mentioned making all the analogue controls (accelerometers, naviwheels, Zeemote, potentially the touchscreen, etc.) accessible with a unified analogue API too - hopefully Nokia will get that sorted out as well.

Old 05-11-2008, 06:55 PM

Jules_N93 is on a distinguished road
Small correction

In this review it is suggested that with or without 3D-chip, the game runs fluidly. Well, after comparing it extensively on my N85 and N95 8Gb, I must say it runs better on the latter. Whether or not that's because of the 3D-accelerator that the N95 has and the N85 hasn't, I don't know. But what is clear is that the gaming experience on the N95 is markedly better! On the N85 it just misses too much frames to be called "fluid".

Also, the game looks better on the bigger screen of the N95 8Gb.

I'll sell my N95 on saturday, and I'll sure miss it for gaming, even tho I hardly ever do it. But, then again, as I hardly ever do it, the N85 suits my other needs better.

Old 05-11-2008, 07:35 PM

N/A is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules_N93 View Post
Well, after comparing it extensively on my N85 and N95 8Gb, I must say it runs better on the latter. Whether or not that's because of the 3D-accelerator that the N95 has and the N85 hasn't, I don't know.
It is to some extent probably due to the N95 being based on a dual-CPU architecture where the application processor is fully dedicated to running the Symbian OS/S60 and applications and the phone/cellular processing being done using another CPU. The N85 is based on a single-CPU solution where the one processor does all the work. In addition other differences in memory/cacheing - e.g., faster memory, memory bus - and internal processor architecture/implementation probably also has its own effect. As the game does not make use of the 3D-accelerator in the N95, its existence does not directly have any impact in this case.

Old 05-11-2008, 09:57 PM
Bonobo

Because this is an allaboutsymbian thread (and not allaboutngage) Tzer2 has not blocked me from commenting.. And the 'One' time i dont talk about graphics everybody else does.. Shame!

Old 06-11-2008, 04:36 PM

argh is on a distinguished road
I linked to a story about an n-gage developer (EA) complaining about the lack of support for hardware features (accelerometer, graphics hardware) - doesn't that count?