All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 16-06-2008, 09:03 PM

BigRedBall is on a distinguished road
Great review, Steve.

Can you tell me what the USB transfer speed is like?

Old 16-06-2008, 10:08 PM
Unregistered

Dyn amic RAM???

Did I read the specifications correctly that said the E71 had, of all archaic things, *Dynamic RAM*???

If this is so, if the battery goes belly-up, so does your data. Can anyone say Palm Tungsten T through T3?

Non-Volatile Memory, folks! Non-Volatile Memory!

--Firefishe

Old 16-06-2008, 10:08 PM
Unregistered

contacts

Can now finally search contacts by the Company field? A big dealbreaker, as I don't always remember the name...
Does smart search also include company names?

Old 16-06-2008, 11:25 PM
Unregistered

Is there threaded sms?

Old 17-06-2008, 01:45 AM

Prosenjitz is on a distinguished road
Review is great, phone is not.

Excellent detailed review! And that is also within hours of the phone's release! Great job. But I am sad the phone is not that great. The multimedea side is inferior to the expectation. And whatever nokia officials might say about its earlier making time, the FP1 at this mid 2008 in a business phone is unpardonable! Thinking of waiting for the next upgraded version beloved E51!

Old 17-06-2008, 06:49 AM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prosenjitz View Post
Excellent detailed review! And that is also within hours of the phone's release! Great job.
Eh? Hours? I had it up one MINUTE after the official announcement. 8-)

BTW, everybody, Rafe and I are working on Q & A article to address all the questions in this thread. Watch the front page mid morning Tuesday

Steve

Old 17-06-2008, 09:04 AM
NotHappy

This was my dream device until...

Nokia deliberately crippled the video capture, camera and video playback. It has a powerful ARM-11 369Mhz CPU but can't playback video smoothly! Same goes for flash 3!

I wish Nokia would stop this nonsense! It’s so obvious what they’re doing. You can either have the N-series or E-series! Business users want some media rich features too!

Nokia my loyalty is wavering.

Old 17-06-2008, 09:57 AM
Unregistered

Info: radio & camera

Hi!
Please, I'd like to know if there's a radio into the E71.

And, also, I've a N70: is a picture taken with E71 comparable with a picture of N70? Worse? Better? Thanks...

Old 17-06-2008, 12:32 PM
Unregistered

Compared w/ Sony P1i

I've been using Sony P1i for about 7 mnths now. Having gotten used to the toggle keyboard, it's pretty good predictive text mssging, powerful txt mssging options, snappy applns response after the 3rd or so firmware updates, and unflinching stability regardless of many simult. open apps, I get the feeling S60 is jst catching up with UIQ. Yet, the e71i is such a beaut and P1i an ugly duckling right next to it. I can't help but stare at the e71i for a very long time. I'm tempted to dump my P1i for the pleasure of having a nicer-looking smartphone. It's my eyes doing the talking, and I'm afraid those eyes will prevail over common (or money) sense.

Old 17-06-2008, 06:44 PM
Unregistered

Accelerometer ?

Has an accelerometer like N95 ??

Old 17-06-2008, 09:16 PM

davistld01 is on a distinguished road
I am going to buy a new device in July 2008...and have narrowed it down to the BlackBerry 9000 Bold, the Apple 3G iPhone...and the Nokia E71. All three will serve my purposes as a personal/business data device...and your review has given me some much needed information...except for the absolute dealbreaker...

How LOUD is the earpiece speaker volume on the E71?

I have had several Nokia E-series and N-series phones in the past, and one of my pet gripes is the too-low earpiece volume compared to most other devices on the market...namely BlackBerry.

So...how LOUD is it, compared to say the N95?

Old 18-06-2008, 05:16 AM
Unregistered

Good but not good enough for my tastes...

E71 is good.... but it would be nice to have a N Series phone that has all features in N82 with E61i SIZE and SHAPE with a full QWERTY keyboard and a good battery

Screen of E71 is SMALL.... Keyboard layout (both in E61i and E71) is not good ... the keys QAZ are straight below each other, a slightly indented and a Shift key before Z key would have been nice.

With 2.8 screen size, I would be looking at 640 x 480 screen. A VGA secondary camera or 1.3 MP secondary camera would be a desirable plus.... as against the existing QCIF secondary camera.

Here are my QWERTY N-Series Specifications
1) Size & Shape - E61i -- Keyboard, laid in natural keyboard format (as against the existing QAZ keys in line left aligned)
2) Battery - E61i (1500 mAH of pure power) A batter battery would be even nicer...
3) 2.8 or 3 inch 640 x 480 VGA Screen with 16 M Colors.
4) A Scroll Wheel (mouse like) (similar to BB 8310)
5) 64/32 GB internal memory with 2 additional MicroSD card slots (watchful iPhone 2)
6) existing camera of N82 with flash is SUPERB, but 7 or 8 MP with optical zoom will be a dream.
7) This is basically over and above what all is offered by N82 .. so what ever N82 has... is already included in.

One Phone for ALL... sure.. it's Possible

Old 18-06-2008, 06:41 AM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
Volume on the speaker? About 2/3rds that of the N95, I'd say. But hard to measure.

Old 18-06-2008, 04:51 PM
Unregistered

Characters with Accents

Hi Steve and a very nice detailed write up.

I live in France, and I think that when the phone will be available here, it would have an AZERTY keyboard (like the E61s). Since I prefer QWERTY keyboards disposition, I think I would purchase an E71 in the UK on a future trip. My question is: can the UK unit deal with accented characters (read messages with accented characters without replacing those by squares and bizard characters and type characters with accents)
Thanks a lot
MM

Old 19-06-2008, 02:23 AM
Unregistered

Wink never enough...

regardless of what Nokia has under the sleeve for new generation phones, people like you are never happy and seem to pretend that's difficult to undertsand that the ESeries are meant to be different from the NSeries. Business wise, camera and media comes in second. A good contact list support, e-mail, network connection options and web-browsing is what it takes to make it topgun. And it does, thank you.
Stop the criticism. If it's bigger - it's bulky, if it's smaller - it's too small and difficult to hold. If it's shiny - fingerprints. If it's all black - cheap plastic.
Be happy!!! Nokia rules!