All About N-Gage - Next Generation Ready

Old 17-03-2009, 01:54 PM
Administrator

Tzer2 is on a distinguished road
Clintonjeff reviews the Nokia E75 from an N-Gage perspective

Long-time Arena user Clintonjeff has been one of the first in the world to receive the new business-oriented Nokia E75 smartphone. This is the first Eseries device to be compatible with N-Gage, and CJ has looked at how well it copes with gaming. Apparently not very well! There are quite a few bugs that need fixing, check the link out for more details and see below for CJ's E75 N-Gage video. It's a real shame that N-Gage sounds so badly implemented on its Eseries debut.

Read on in the full article.

Old 17-03-2009, 02:54 PM
Administrator

The most stupid thing is not allowing users to pick their own game keys from the E75's QWERTY keyboard. Why isn't this possible?

To make it even more confusing, the games will talk about buttons A and B, but the corresponding keys on the keyboard are actually Q and A.

A real mess, please sort this out Nokia. Games have been letting people redefine keys for over 25 years now, surely it wouldn't be too difficult to get it done on a modern smartphone?

Old 17-03-2009, 04:43 PM

wampyre is on a distinguished road
I totally agree with your comment Tzer2.

The whole keypad should be used to control directional buttons as well as gaming buttons.

With the current layout using the D-pad and sliding out the keyboard to use
Q & W as gaming button A & B is just ridiculous.
It would even be better to have the restriction to only play games in portrait mode as on the N82.
(I've hacked mine to be able to play in portrait, but not all games are convenient to play is this mode)

A solution could be to MagicKey to tweak the functions of the buttons to allow gameplay on the E75 with the full use of the Qwerty keyboard.

Old 19-03-2009, 10:41 AM
Super Moderator

kontraband is on a distinguished road
Looking at using the E75 for a few people at work, myself included. I couldn't care less where N-gage is, or even if it was utterly removed from the phone itself. As a E-series, I don't want employees playing games on their phones. They are there for work so to me, Nokia can skip N-Gage on this handset all together.

Granted if this was NOT an E-series then it would be a shambles... but it is..

Old 19-03-2009, 09:59 PM
Administrator

Kontraband, fair enough if these are being used as work phones, N-Gage isn't a productivity tool. The thing is, a lot (maybe most?) of Eseries devices are sold direct to consumers as personal phones. Many people are buying them instead of Nseries or numbered devices

Either they should have N-Gage on there properly, or not have it at all, but to have it on there in a rubbish way doesn't help anyone.
Ads

Old 19-03-2009, 10:30 PM

viipottaja is on a distinguished road
Not sure if a client update would fix that as isn't the assignment of keys in any given game part of the game code, and not the client/phone firmware itself? I.e. wouldn't you instead need to update all the games to acknowlegde the presence of the qwerty keyboard?

Old 19-03-2009, 10:44 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Not sure if a client update would fix that as isn't the assignment of keys in any given game part of the game code, and not the client/phone firmware itself? I.e. wouldn't you instead need to update all the games to acknowlegde the presence of the qwerty keyboard?
The games already acknowledge the E75's qwerty keyboard, at least partially, as the gaming buttons on the E75 are Q and A.

The thing is, the games include a "define your own keys" mode, so in theory you can use whichever buttons you want. But none of the other QWERTY keys are accepted in as possible keys...

Even if it was too complicated to allow redefining, from the sound of things Nokia's gaming key picks (Q and A) have pretty poor ergonomics.

Old 20-03-2009, 12:01 PM
Super Moderator

kontraband is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzer2 View Post
SNIP

Either they should have N-Gage on there properly, or not have it at all, but to have it on there in a rubbish way doesn't help anyone.

Agreed!