All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > Symbian Based Devices > UIQ > Sony Ericsson P800, P900 and P910

Old 17-03-2003, 07:55 AM

Chewie is on a distinguished road
P800 cannot send email with vodafone.net email account (uk)

Vodafone.net (uk) email accounts can recieve email but not send.

Anyone know why this is the case, I spent hours messing around with my phone trying to get it to send email on this account but to no avail, (I have set up other email accounts no problem)

I phoned both vodaphone and sony ericsson, neither were any help. Then I was in my local phones4u store where I purchased the phone, exchanging a dect cordless when I mentioned the problem to the salesman.

He said that it was not possible to send email with a vodafone.net email account on the p800 although it would recieve ok. He did no know why.

The question I have for you guys is why should this be the case, why the problem of sending email with a vodafone.net email account just on the p800, and is this problem likely to be resolved anytime soon.

Old 17-03-2003, 05:42 PM

Email problems!!

This might be related to a weird problem I'm getting.

I can't seem to send emails to some accounts - sometimes I can't send it to the same account a second time!?!

If I send it to @ntlworld.com - it seems to work, but mslade@fidler.co.uk fails (that's my work email address) - yet I am continually receiving emails at work with no problem from many people.

When it fails I get the message:-
"Email message has an invalid "To","Cc" or "Bcc" address"

But I know it's a valid email address.

I have tried typing the email address in manually, and selecting from my addressbook. Still the same error.

Anyone any ideas?

Mark

Old 17-03-2003, 06:11 PM

YEP !!! My P800 refuses to send any emails to Hotmail.com

I get the same

"Email message has an invalid "To","Cc" or "Bcc" address"

ERROR !!

Rahhhhhhhhhhhhhh !

Old 17-03-2003, 06:26 PM

i-ball is on a distinguished road
e-mail on P800

well, i've got the opposite problem. I'm on o2 so I configure the smtp server to o2's. I can send ok but trying to retrieve e-mail from pop.freeserve.com or other pop server timeout. Any suggestions? Anyone know any phone numbers at o2 that can help?

Old 17-03-2003, 06:39 PM

I do not own a P800 but I recognise these problems with my 9210.

Problem 1:
The 'invalid bcc, cc' happens tends to happen because the
email client does you like certain special characters in the
receipient list - these seem to include '<' '-' and '"' (double quote).
These tend to get added then you reply to an email produced with
a PC or select a contact.
Ensure that you use ',' (comma) to separate email addresses if this is
supported and not ';' (semi-colon).

The solution is to enter the email address in the raw form -
without special characters at all.

Problem 2:

The P800 propably does not support authenticated SMTP - the same
problem exists with the 9210.
Due to the increase in SPAM - almost all STMP servers need you
to login with the username/password used for the POP3 however
the email client appears not to do this.

The result is you can only send emails to persons in the same domain
as your own email account - quite restrictive.

Old 17-03-2003, 06:49 PM

The P800 does support SMTP authentication

Old 17-03-2003, 08:38 PM

Yes, after making my earlier post I talked it through with my brother and realised it won't send an email outside of ntl - my email account is with ntl.

The extra character thing is not affecting me - I get the same results whether I select from an addressbook or type the whole thing in from scratch. Because of the error message I double and triple checked the text in the fields.

This is a MAJOR limitation - does anyone know a way round this.

Mark

Old 17-03-2003, 08:44 PM

Me Again - I just tried switching on smtp authentification, getting it to re-use the settings from the in-box. Tried it again and got the same problem.

Mark

Old 17-03-2003, 09:12 PM

SUSSED IT!!!! - After fishing around on the esato forum it seems this is a common problem with ntlworld - it won't let you use it's smtp server to send out unless it can identify you (I think) and as it's coming from GPRS it rejects it.

The Solution? - use Orange - change your outbox settings to smtp.orange.net - I'm not sure if you need to have an orange email account set up in order to do this (I do already but as it's free it's no biggy). Just tried sending an email to someone outside the ntlworld world and it worked fine.

Yessssss.

Mark
Ads

Old 17-03-2003, 09:40 PM

The original problem I posted was specific to a vodafone.net email account. It will not send emails to any address though it will recieve ok. Those of you with ntlworld accounts (I have ntlworld broadband) can you access and revieve emails through dialup or gprs. if so what setting have you used for the pop3 and smtp clients.

Old 17-03-2003, 09:48 PM

SMTP limitations

Did you know that when using email you are negociating to 2 servers.

A POP3/IMAP server is the one that stores your incoming mail. You can usually connect to it with any ISP unless it's a corporate mail.

A SMTP server is used for sending email. As a rule of thumb it has to belong to the ISP you are connected to at each time, unless it supports SMTP authentication. Some SMTP servers are set to allow sending email within their own domain or their own suffix like .is or .com.

I have had this problem with T68i, P800 and all of those mobiles with email capabilities. The solution I have found is using an SMTP that belongs to the ISP that supplies the pipe to the internet.

Old 17-03-2003, 10:02 PM

I am using vodafone as my isp

Old 17-03-2003, 10:07 PM

Hi CHewie

For my inbox settings I have username:- myusername
password:- mypassword
incoming server address:- pop.ntlworld.com

On the outbox tab I just have
Outgoing server address:- smtp.orange.net
Server authentification is UNchecked.

Although your problem appears to be with vodafone, it seems to be the same problem I was having with ntlworld. Perhaps vodaphone work in teh same sort of way. Using ntlworld won't help you either as the problem in relation to ntlworld is also to do with sending, not receiving.

Try putting smtp.orange.net in for your outbox and see what happens. If it doesn't work you could try getting an orange mail account and having another go.

Good luck

Mark

Old 19-03-2003, 12:34 AM

OK I have now set up a new isp dial up account with virgin and now have a virgin.net email address. Used Sonyerricsons site to autoconfigure my phone and also tried to set it up manually, still no joy am now getting the message no route available IPV6.

Will someone please tell me how they send emails on vodafone in the uk. And what ISP they are using to do so.

I have managed to set up a dial up connection to my works email account and this works perfectly, so its not like i'm some muppet who has no idea what he is doing

I would just like to set up a private email account that I can send and recieve emails from

Thanks

Old 19-03-2003, 10:34 AM

use Vodafone's SMTP server, or one that allows authenticatio

You won't be able to use orange.smtp.net because you're not using Orange GRPS.

You'll either have to find the details of a Vodafone SMTP server (I'm on Orange, so can't help you there) or find a server that allows you to access regardless of how you connect - usually by requiring a username and password. But the only one of those I ever found was mailandnews.com, and I'm not sure they're accepting any new accounts these days.