All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 04-11-2009, 09:53 PM
Unregistered

I previously gave it 2 thumbs down. That's because I'm an idiot and wasn't using it correctly. I wasn't holding the call button down while speaking. It does the voice reco after you let go and then searches. It actually works great.

Old 07-11-2009, 03:10 PM
Unregistered

steve, does it work on your N86? it doesn't work on mine~!

Old 07-11-2009, 04:12 PM
Unregistered

Anyone know what the deal is with this app... why it works on some phones and not others? Why would an N93 work for instance and not an N93i? Could it be based on the location of the user?
Ads

Old 07-11-2009, 06:27 PM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookatbowen View Post
Very impressive. I've been waiting for this application for a long time. It works super well on my Nokia 5800. Some words like "Bowen" it struggles to understand and shows up the completely wrong word, which is mega disappointing because how are people going to find my lookatbowen.com website through Google Voice?

It might just be my South African accent that is confusing it (lol), but my others websites like Wilkinson's World or Crunch Victims are working perfectly.
Well it your post made me visit your site - thanks for the links to AAS BTW.

One thing that might be worth checking - in Settings you can specify the accent / region - might be worth experimenting with?

Old 12-11-2009, 07:41 PM
Unregistered

For anyone who may be interested?

FINALLY decided to actually install Google search, after suggestion by others. I was a bit reluctant, as no-one could confirm it would work with n97 (s/w v12, still waiting for v20).

Anyhow. Downloaded it, and started to install but received the warning "Application is incompatible with you phone". "Install anyway?" It was at this point before, that I decided to abort the install. Nonetheless, I hit the install button (and kept my fingers crossed) :-)

Application installed. Launched application, and ..... PERFECT :-) All works fine.

Tip:- On the main screen, an indicator appears "Press C to search". This appears for a couple of seconds, as a reminder. As the N97 does not have a "C" WITHOUT going into the keyboard, the application can be launched by finding the shortcut and pressing that (the same as you may do when wishing to look at your photo images). The "prompt" may be disabled from the application, as I have done.

Observation:- Once the app is launched, and you have performed your voice (or text input) search, and the results are shown, there is no way to"zoom in" on the screen (for clarity, if your eyes aren't so good). Normally, when "surfing the net" from your handset, a double tap "zooms in". This doesn't happen with the Google search app.

So, there ya go, another happy punter :-)

Cheers