All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > Symbian Based Devices > S60 (Series 60) > Nokia N95 and N95 8GB

Old 03-10-2008, 04:04 PM

ffcphone is on a distinguished road
BBC iPlayer problems on N95 - can't download a BBC programme

I downloaded the BBC iPlayer application (in wgz form or whatever it was) and this installed fine on my N95-1.

I successfully streamed a programme via WiFi.

Today, I noticed an update available for the iPlayer application so I duly upgraded. Not only is there now a "view" option but also a "download" option which works in the same way as the full blown PC version of iPlayer.

However, once the 3gp file has downloaded, I get a message saying "this type of file is not supported by the phone" or words to that effect and then a download failure message comes up. But this only appears after the file has downloaded - all several tens of megabytes of it so I know it's definitely downloading fine.

Anyone else been able to download stuff successfully for offline viewing?

F

Old 04-10-2008, 09:28 AM

markyc is on a distinguished road
Had the same issue with my N95 8GB, lets you download the file (took me a while to find a prog that would allow a download, News at 10) then you get the "unsupported" msg when, i guess, it tries to open the file (3gp format). After that it asked if i wanted to "Authenticate" my handset which i tried but that failed with a different msg.

So i tried the download again this time over 3G rather than wifi (took a bit longer mind but still worked) but got the same "unspported" msg. Although it Authenticated ok this time...odd. Had a look for the file to see if it had actually saved but it hadn't.

Any N96 owners tried this?

Old 04-10-2008, 01:27 PM

diggerhole is on a distinguished road
same here, downloads all the way, then gives unsupported file type message, authenticates but wont save file

Old 04-10-2008, 07:48 PM

alexp86 is on a distinguished road
yep same problem on my n95 8 gb (have latest firmware)...

Old 04-10-2008, 09:25 PM

ripper1012 is on a distinguished road
Question n95 iplayer

hi peeps!

Have got exactly the same problem. Had iplayer 1, and saw the download, which i installed and thought excellent! Have tried downloadin via 3g and wifi and the same thing. Not supported. Think its a cryin shame that i that it don't work fully,but guess its not actually released for 95 only 96, have any1 managed to get around this? Can anyone confirm if it works on n96, surely it doesn't play more formats? Also can anyone stream programs via 3g? Its annoyin that it only works via wifi.

Old 05-10-2008, 08:45 AM

The Beeb are up to summink. After installing v1.5 yesterday i could still stream via wifi, which i assumed was because i'd tweaked v1.0 to get it working. But today i get a msg saying "Please switch to a wifi connection" when trying to stream any progs.

So i've gone back to v1.0...

Old 05-10-2008, 10:27 AM

dog-man is on a distinguished road
Where can this be found and downloaded?

Old 05-10-2008, 10:35 AM

ripper1012 is on a distinguished road
i was under the impression that you can only stream via wifi? On both versions i could only stream via wifi. I have the latest firmware, v30, surely with 3.5g its fast enough to stream? I stream fine via slingbox so?

Just google the file mate, its direct from bbc but they won't let u know about its its like iplayer.wgz? Or somethin like that.

Old 05-10-2008, 11:47 AM

Check out
http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/forum...93764&posted=1

Old 06-10-2008, 08:14 AM

riverboat is on a distinguished road
And this thread too

http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/forum...ad.php?t=76444

Old 08-10-2008, 03:42 PM

scott.herring is on a distinguished road
Sorry for the stupid questions... where can i download the iplayer? Have just tried on my N95 8GB but it states that it's not supported!?! Should i be looking to get version 1.0 elsewhere as i've only read bad stuff about the newer version!?

Old 08-10-2008, 08:03 PM

alexp86 is on a distinguished road
Official explanation of why downloads don't work and why N95 isn't supported:

Quote:
Separate to the above "sideloading" proposition, which is available today, our Mobile team is in the final stages of development of a download proposition for Nokia N96 devices that will also allow you to download programmes "over the air" to your Nokia N96 - i.e., to download directly from the BBC iPlayer site to your phone, without needing to download to your PC first.

These Nokia devices support Open Mobile Alliance (OMA) DRM - so, to make BBC iPlayer content available on those devices, we've built an OMA DRM service. Accordingly, we've now added OMA to the list of rights protection technologies supported by the BBC iPlayer, which should allow us to, in due course and where technically feasible, make BBC iPlayer programmes available on a whole new class of mobile phones and other devices that support the OMA content protection standard.
Quote:
Incidentally, we are not supporting the N95 and a selection of other Symbian devices (despite what you may have read on some blogs) so any use of the widget on these devices would be unauthorised. The N95 plus some other devices do not automatically carry the browser's current network connection settings over to the phone's media player. This means that you could select Wi-Fi on the browser, but unknowingly end up watching streams over 3G connections. If you do this, you could accidentally rack up some pretty huge bills. We will let you know if this situation changes.
-From "BBC Internet Blog"
http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/bbcintern..._portable.html

Old 09-10-2008, 03:26 PM

m15chief is on a distinguished road
Is it just me, or does this no longer work on the N95-8GB? Whenever I try to log in I just get a blank screen.

Was working the other day, tried via WiFi, 3G and unistalled/re-installed a few times.

Maybe BBC has found a way to block N95 users?

Old 09-10-2008, 06:27 PM

Sean_uk is on a distinguished road
Its still working on my N95-1

Hopefully they wont do anything to stop us using iplayer though i think we will just have to be happy with just streaming.

Old 13-10-2008, 02:34 PM

scott.herring is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by markyc View Post
The Beeb are up to summink. After installing v1.5 yesterday i could still stream via wifi, which i assumed was because i'd tweaked v1.0 to get it working. But today i get a msg saying "Please switch to a wifi connection" when trying to stream any progs.

So i've gone back to v1.0...
How can you stream on v1.0 ??? I now have this version, however it keeps telling me that it can only be streamed via wifi.

I am using N95 8GB

Thanks
Ads