All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 08-03-2010, 09:03 AM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
AAS Insight #108 - Symbian vs the rest, Nokia Nuron

In Insight 108, (with Rafe away) Steve, Ewan and guest Tim Salmon chew over the week's news, including Qik Premium, Nokia Nuron, Ovi Mail 2.0, Skype and Terminal mode. Plus, we get Tim's views on where Nokia, Symbian and others need to improve in order to compete with the likes of iPhone and Android competition.

Read on in the full article.

Old 08-03-2010, 01:40 PM

Cjp is on a distinguished road
hi . yeah a very interesting podcast especially the end bit about nokia mobiles defaulting to a cellular connection instead of a wifi one.tim will no doubt remember i asked him if the n900 he was using at the time connected to sky broadband which he said did.basically my point was made by ewan about testing.nokia have failed to produce an e series phone of which iv had 3, e90, e63 and e71 that will reliably and repeatedly connect to a network with wpa/wpa2 security settings therefore relegating me to a cell network for every data activity i do.this alone has chased me to windows mobile and android mobiles as it just bloody works.when will we see nokia addressing this simple yet annoying oversight?

Old 08-03-2010, 02:12 PM
Super Moderator

timsalmon is on a distinguished road
On that subject, I had the N86 out today and fired it up without a SIM Card in wanting to quickly use it to check something on the web. It refused to connect to the (open) WLAN reporting unable to connect in offline mode. This is something that Nokias have always been able to do and I was annoyed that the N86 seems to be different in yet another way to the mainstream Nokia models. (The other being that it has the ludicrous inbuilt Nokia Messaging client linked up with Mail for Exchange, which means you have to dupe it in order to use MfE for GMail if you don't want to use NM.)

Old 08-03-2010, 04:25 PM
dj...

Wlan

I never had any problem getting my nokias to connect to my WPA2 Wifi even in offline mode. Am I missing the point?

Old 08-03-2010, 05:11 PM
Super Moderator

timsalmon is on a distinguished road
...have you tried the N86? *That* is the point! I can get any other Nokia to connect while offline, like you

Old 09-03-2010, 12:12 AM

RogerPodacter is on a distinguished road
Ewan, i just want to chime in about your last topic of the podcast about symbian's access point lunacy compared to android and iphone. Why couldnt symbian just do the best of both worlds by initially asking the user upon insertion of a new sim card if this phone has an all you can eata data plan or not? Then set up the access point utilization accordingly? They could even phrase the question in a very simple manner such that you get the best of both worlds. I just dont see why they couldnt have already done this.

Last edited by RogerPodacter; 09-03-2010 at 12:14 AM.

Old 09-03-2010, 08:42 AM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
@tim: My N86 works fine accessing Wi-Fi when there's no SIM inserted. However, from my own experiences, I can say that the N86 still doesn't have mission critical stability in terms of firmware. In fact, from testing the N96 and E72 and other devices, I'd dare to say that S60 3rd Edition FP2 in general has a few underlying complexities and issues. Whether these will ever be fully sorted is not known - I'm guessing most Symbian and Nokia resources are now fully behind 5th Edition and Symbian^3 and ^4.....

8-(

Old 09-03-2010, 11:18 AM

illusionado is on a distinguished road
@tim
I used N86 for almost 1 month and I have no problems accessing the web or using the wi-fi/network connections during the offline state of the phone. Your N86 will just ask you allow connection on the offline state.

Old 09-03-2010, 12:33 PM
Unregistered

hidden vs visible SID?

I know on my S60 5.0 devices I can access wireless networks in offline mode with no problems unless the wifi network has a hidden SID. Perhaps that's the difference you're seeing?

I wish I could get my iPod touch to work with my router as well as my phones do. I find that I can start opening allaboutsymbian on the iPod and then put it down, unlock my 5800, open the browser, type allaboutsymbian and still have it loaded quicker on the 5800 while the iPod is still spinning it's wheels. Youtube is completely useless, I can't use internet radio, basically anything which requires a network connection for more than about 10s at a time doesn't work. My router is a Netgear DG834PN which has a broadcom wifi chipset (I think). Since we're all gadget freaks here, anyone have any ideas?

Old 09-03-2010, 02:52 PM
Rushi

Exclamation VOIP on 3G

Ewan are you joking or what.....
I have been using VOIP to call India over 3G for more then a year now. which includes gtalk to gtalk, VOIP calls to landlines and mobiles, skype calls the whole stuff.
All using Fring on my N95.
I've had conversations for more then 1 hour continously with good call quality. you need to try it out more dude. ;-)
also, I should tell you my on the Indian side there is no 3G on some networks so it only E gprs. still it works gr8.

Cheers
Ads