All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 05-11-2009, 10:25 PM

seki is on a distinguished road
Likes / Dislikes

I'm going to start the ball rolling by giving my initial likes and dislikes for the Satio.

I like:
Oooh .. I forgot ..
0. C: drive memory .. attention N97 owners .. with ALL of the stuff below installed on C: I still have in excess of 51MB available!
1. The Camera .. well who wouldn't @ 12.1 MPix with many options for focus and image capture its certainly a step up or two from the Nokia 5Mp offerings on the N95/97. Its a pity it doesn't handle 720p capture .. but you never know that could come in the future. Forgot to mention .. Xenon Flash!
2. Multiple desktop items. Although having the N97's widget system would be a nice future add.
3. The easy access to the full symbian system. press center key twice you're there.
4. The on-screen qwerty keyboard. I started out with the full-size one but switched to the mini-qwerty .. haven't changed back.
5. The amount of S60 stuff that you can just install and run. Most of my favourite apps install and run perfectly on the Satio. I'll toss up a list in a separate post.

I don't like:
1. Its a fingerprint magnet. It really really is!
2. No asian font support (shrug) Symbian really should modularise language options. I'm probably going to have to find a Chinese code and go through the whole code change - re-install the firmware thing. I shouldn't have to! Just gimmie damn font's to display sites/messages - I don't really need Input though that would be nice.
3. No case supplied. I went out and bought something. But when you spend 4-500 pounds on a phone you really should get a half decent case in the box.
4. Non-standard charging/usb Connection .. really micro-usb IS now the standard.
5. Lack of a 3.5mm jack - ok they give you 3.5mm as part of the headphone kit but really. this all goes back to the lack of a standard connection.

Ok .. I restricted myself to 5 of each.

Last edited by seki; 11-11-2009 at 10:10 PM.
Ads