All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 17-05-2009, 08:25 PM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
How To : Set up an Email Account Inside Nokia Messaging

In the third of his tutorial series looking at Nokia Messaging, Asri al-Baker looks at the email setup process, using the Nokia 5800 as a guinea pig device. This guide applies for all users who are not using the E75 (at the moment) because this has a different (newer) version of Nokia Messaging. Asri explains the decision point about dropping back to S60 Messaging or deciding to press on with the (beta, but soon-to-be-commercial) 'push' service, the core of Nokia Messaging.

Read on in the full article.

Old 17-05-2009, 09:11 PM
Unregistered

I'm a fan of ProfiMail since I purchased a copy from Symbian Gear for only 9.00, about a month ago. The developers (Lonely Cat Games), are spot on with with their customer support and the programme gets regularly updated with tweaks suggested by the user base. I've set the programme up to fetch my emails every 15 minutes and it works perfectly. I don't see the need to have a subscribed service for 'push email'.......and the programme works great on my Nokia 5800
Ads

Old 18-05-2009, 06:16 AM
Unregistered

About the security

If you are interested about email security, you should follow this story:

http://mobilitics.blogspot.com/search/label/Nokiagate

Old 18-05-2009, 06:52 AM
Unregistered

Different Logins

I've asked this before in lots of places and never found an answer which stops me using Nokia email. How do I have different login details for incoming and outgoing servers? You can do it on the plain old messaging client, but I cant see a way on this new one.

David

Old 18-05-2009, 08:22 AM

asri is on a distinguished road
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I've asked this before in lots of places and never found an answer which stops me using Nokia email. How do I have different login details for incoming and outgoing servers? You can do it on the plain old messaging client, but I cant see a way on this new one.

David
@David

1. Have you tried the following? :
- Go to http://email.nokia.com using your desktop internet browser
- Login using your primary email address that you use in Nokia Messaging
- Choose the account that you want to edit by clicking on "Edit Setting".
- You can specify the SMTP server on that page.

2. Another way of doing it is using the Nokia Messaging application itself :
- In your S60 phone, go to Application Launcher aka Menu
- Select "Email Setup"
- When it asks you to enter your email address, enter the following "1@2.cc"
- Follow the instruction on the screen where it will ask the POP/IMAP and SMTP server.

3. My next write-up in the series will illustrate how to use Nokia Messaging with ISP/hosting server.

Cheers!

Old 18-05-2009, 08:24 AM

asri is on a distinguished road
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I'm a fan of ProfiMail since I purchased a copy from Symbian Gear for only 9.00, about a month ago. The developers (Lonely Cat Games), are spot on with with their customer support and the programme gets regularly updated with tweaks suggested by the user base. I've set the programme up to fetch my emails every 15 minutes and it works perfectly. I don't see the need to have a subscribed service for 'push email'.......and the programme works great on my Nokia 5800
1. Profimail is a great email app.

2. Different people different needs.

Cheers!

Old 18-05-2009, 11:58 AM

Jejoma is on a distinguished road
I had a similar problem in that Nokia Email would not accept .co.uk sufixes. I got around this by initially entering my emails as .com and then editing later.

The only problem I found with this method was that Nokia Email won't accept the outgoing server address. I look forward to your next tutorial Asri to see whether you have a solution for this.

Old 18-05-2009, 04:28 PM
Unregistered

>>>>Another way of doing it is using the Nokia Messaging application itself :
>>>>- In your S60 phone, go to Application Launcher aka Menu
>>>>- Select "Email Setup"
>>>>- When it asks you to enter your email address, enter the following "1@2.cc"
>>>>- Follow the instruction on the screen where it will ask the POP/IMAP and SMTP server.

Tried that but you dont get any option to have login details on the outgoing server, it just assumes they are the same as the incoming!

Old 19-05-2009, 12:50 AM

fbloise is on a distinguished road
I'm having a big issue. Everytime I try to install the nokia messaging and try to setup my email account, it creates a new mailbox in the messaging area, no html no nothing...

i believe nokia is red lining my operator (claro dominican)

Old 19-05-2009, 06:07 AM

ashu is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Another way of doing it is using the Nokia Messaging application itself :
- In your S60 phone, go to Application Launcher aka Menu
- Select "Email Setup"
- When it asks you to enter your email address, enter the following "1@2.cc"
- Follow the instruction on the screen where it will ask the POP/IMAP and SMTP server.
This is so cool. I have tried this. I have been able to configure my work id thru this but this waiting for the pus notifications for this. All others, yahoo, gmail and hotmail are on push

Old 20-05-2009, 04:13 AM
Alastiar

Im having problem with Nokia Messaging on my E71. It freeze everytime at the Testing network connection but the connection is fine. Can some1 please help me with this, I really like this app, thanks in advance

Old 07-09-2009, 10:37 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbloise View Post
I'm having a big issue. Everytime I try to install the nokia messaging and try to setup my email account, it creates a new mailbox in the messaging area, no html no nothing...

i believe nokia is red lining my operator (claro dominican)
im having the same problem. please help

Old 18-11-2009, 12:14 AM
Unregistered

Question Unable to connect to yahoo mailbox

I was able to set up gmail account on my Nokia E71 via Nokia messaging, but am not able to set my yahoo account on it
I tried Email setup and followed the process until a folder - "yahoo.com" was setup on my phone's Messages folder instead of Nokia email. However when I try connecting or Retrieval, I'm prompted to enter email and password again and keeps on "Connecting to yahoo.com Mailbox' until a message - "Mailbox idle for specified time" appears.... nothing happens at the end and am left with a blank yahoo.com folder inside messages folder.

I've tried this for a couple of times now. No luck...

Please help!!

Old 27-03-2010, 12:45 PM
Ziaya

Nokia Messaging

I was also facing the same problem, when I setup the gmail.com account it was getting setup as Mailbox.
Then I tried to setup my official email account which I had registered at email.nokia.com, then it got solved.
Ziaya

Old 03-07-2010, 02:11 AM
Unregistered

Same problem as others - sets up regular email in messaging only

I have tried twice to install this but each time I do, it just installs a gmail account into the messaging section.

I went to go to email.nokia.com, I entered my phone number and it told me to download the app through my phone's browser, which I did. It also never messages me.

I tried logging in via the email website, but I can't as it says I am not registered. When I try to register, it puts me through the same process as the paragraph above.

I also tried to change my user agent using firefox and went in to download the app that way, but the phone won't recognise the app when I send it over.

I'm with Virgin Australia and using a 5800.