All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 22-06-2007, 11:39 PM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
Z8 Questions and Answers

I now have a Z8 and having used it for a few days I am now reasonably familiar with it.

I'm currently writing the review (you'll probably see the first part on Monday).

However if there are specific questions you would like to see answered please post here and I'll do my best to enlighten you (others welcome too, there's a few knowledgeable people around).

Also check out Motorola Z8 mini site here - http://europe.motorola.com/uk/motorizrz8/ - there's some good stuff on there.

Old 22-06-2007, 11:59 PM
Super Moderator

stuclark is on a distinguished road
A new one that's just come up - iTap or T9?
Ads

Old 23-06-2007, 08:19 AM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
iTap.

For those that don't know iTap is Motorola's version of T9. Its similar to T9 in that it intelligently guesses word based on single key presses. However I've found it doesn't always get words correct if you type the whole thing in. You can lock in words as you go though using the up and down arrows. The good thing though is iTap has auto word completion that can save a lot of time.

Old 26-06-2007, 12:10 AM

appleseed is on a distinguished road
Do you have any information regarding the SAR value of the Z8?

Old 26-06-2007, 09:37 AM
Super Moderator

I'm prety sure Rafe doesn't know the SAR value yet (he doesn't have the full sales package for the phone).

Old 27-06-2007, 10:16 AM
Founder / Chief

Yep, sorry, I dont have the info on that yet.

Old 19-07-2007, 08:47 PM

bigbabylons is on a distinguished road
Am stumped

Hello all, have just got a Z8 and have unlocked it, added my old sim card and for the life of me can't figure out how to copy my phone numbers from SIM card to phone, any ideas?

Old 22-07-2007, 03:08 AM

zackymax is on a distinguished road
z8 and tzones

i have spent the last hour on the phone with tmobile trying to get tzones on my z8. we tried several different configurations but nothing worked. do you have any ideas?

Old 22-07-2007, 11:08 AM

Abbsta is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbabylons View Post
Hello all, have just got a Z8 and have unlocked it, added my old sim card and for the life of me can't figure out how to copy my phone numbers from SIM card to phone, any ideas?
Go to Contacts > Options > View Category > SIM.

When you are in SIM view, Options > Markings > Mark all. It takes you back to SIM view with all entries marked. Options > Copy to Contacts. Done.

Then go into Options > View Category > All Phone Contacts to display all your contacts in the Phone instead of the SIM or keep it as it is if you wish to use SIM view.

Old 23-07-2007, 04:26 PM

bigbabylons is on a distinguished road
Thanks Abbsta

That really helped me out.

Old 24-07-2007, 10:20 AM

secretsquirrel is on a distinguished road
Am I able to run applications that run on S60 3rd edition on the Z8? I suspect the answer is no but I'm just getting my head around this Symbian malarkey and am weighing up the N95 vs Z8.

Old 24-07-2007, 11:26 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by secretsquirrel View Post
Am I able to run applications that run on S60 3rd edition on the Z8? I suspect the answer is no but I'm just getting my head around this Symbian malarkey and am weighing up the N95 vs Z8.
NO - the Z8 runs UIQ3.1, so S60 applications will NOT work!

Old 24-07-2007, 11:28 AM

plinkykev is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by secretsquirrel View Post
The overall answer is no, S60 apps will not run on UIQ phones (SE or Moto). Some JAVA apps, without any S60 specific code, may run OK.
Remember though, many S60 apps have already been converted to UIQ and the Z8 (like the recent Quick Office and Docs To Go announcements), and more are coming soon, so a lot of the popular titles will be available.
Also, quite a few of the older S60 apps will not run on the newer S60 3rd Edition, and they are having to be converted too.

Last edited by plinkykev; 24-07-2007 at 11:32 AM.

Old 24-07-2007, 12:19 PM

secretsquirrel is on a distinguished road
There is an application called Private Call & SMS guard which I am particularly interested in. It hides all texts and call history from numbers that are specified on a list, until a password is entered. Ideal for people who might be texting someone that they shouldn't. It looks like a really useful appln - anyone know of anything similar on the Z8? The spec for the Z8 mentions something about switching between SIMs so does it support 2 SIM cards simultaneously?

Old 31-07-2007, 03:08 PM

RuaryMC is on a distinguished road
Memory card issues

I've had my Z8 for about a week now and I've still got no idea how to work the memory card. I've put it and tried changing the settings to save to memory card but nothing appears to work! It's getting very frustrating as I can't have any music on it or take pictures. Any information is very much appreciated!