All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 17-05-2007, 03:52 PM

HoundDog is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by nfinland View Post
I used Oggplayer on my N70, but it want install on my N95 :-(.
The N70 is an S60 v2 device whereas the N95 is S60 v3. This is probably the reason it won't install.

Old 18-05-2007, 09:17 AM

greg123 is on a distinguished road
I AM a WM fan, and I gave it up to come back to Sym. Mainly because of the N95 camera and high speed data, which I couldn't find with built in gps on a wm device (yet).

The 95 is easier to use as a phone and slightly (slightly!!!) more 'stable' than the XDA Exec I used before.

In all other ways, not having WM sucks as I can do anything to them/get any software/try other os's - even had linux on one and WM 6.0 before it was properly ported across. So range of options are great, stability wasn't.

N95 feels to me like a cheap old phone, it does what it does, if you like it great, if you don't tough. It doesn't feel like a micro PC at all - my old XDA was just like a PC in approach (can do anything/get software/make it 'yours' /homecook stuff etc).

I have no axe to grind either side, the only thing I learned is there is no perfect device!

Greg.

Old 18-05-2007, 11:00 AM

autopilot is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg123 View Post
I AM a WM fan, and I gave it up to come back to Sym. Mainly because of the N95 camera and high speed data, which I couldn't find with built in gps on a wm device (yet).

The 95 is easier to use as a phone and slightly (slightly!!!) more 'stable' than the XDA Exec I used before.

In all other ways, not having WM sucks as I can do anything to them/get any software/try other os's - even had linux on one and WM 6.0 before it was properly ported across. So range of options are great, stability wasn't.

N95 feels to me like a cheap old phone, it does what it does, if you like it great, if you don't tough. It doesn't feel like a micro PC at all - my old XDA was just like a PC in approach (can do anything/get software/make it 'yours' /homecook stuff etc).

I have no axe to grind either side, the only thing I learned is there is no perfect device!

Greg.

My thoughts exactly. I have a WM phone and an N95. Both are great in different situations, i like the simplicity of Symbain and the power, customisability and flexibility of WM. But if i had to make the choice of just one device, it would have to be the WM hands down. I would not have said that 2 years ago, but now WM rocks. There is just so much fun to be had with it, it's almost endless and i can do things with it i never thought possible but now i love.

The built in GPS in the N95 was the main selling point for me, only use it on the odd occasion but its nice to have it whenever i need it (well that and uPnP, but i now realise it's not proper uPnP at all). I could have got an XDA orbit with built in GPS, but the device did not really cut the mustard for me. I knew there was not much software available for Symbian, but when i actually started looking properly i was utterly shocked. Luckily one area when there is some decent professional development going one for Symbian in in the GPS side of things, which shows it can be done.

I think that by the time the HTC Kasier (Vario III) come out though, which is the dogs nutz, i can't see any reason to keep my N95 and doubt i will go back to Symbain. You need a touch screen right there in front of when driving, it's no coincidence that all SatNav's have them. If only for safely is nothing else.

I like the N95 a great deal, but it's ultimately a shallow experience for users like me who want the real deal and like to play around. Yet it's perfect in some situations. But it's a fairly pointless argument between the two. The N95 is like a games console when the new WM6 phones are like fully fledged PC's. I would not recommend a WM6 device to most people i know. It just annoys me when fanboys slag off when they have no experience of and make statements like "The N95 is like a mini laptop!". Ah, bless.

Last edited by autopilot; 18-05-2007 at 11:10 AM.

Old 18-05-2007, 11:43 AM

rjamesd is on a distinguished road
Comparing the hardware is a clearer way to appraise the devices, putting choice of OS aside for a moment.

Hardware wise, then:

HTC P4550 (HTC Kaiser):
What the HTC P4550 has that the N95 doesn't:
+ QWERTY KEYBOARD
+ more data standards, quad band 3G, UMTS800, UMTS850, UMTS1900, UMTS2100, CSD, GPRS, EDGE, UMTS, HSDPA, HSUPA
+ touch screen

What the HTC P4550 doesn't have that the N95 does have:
- no TV out (N95 has this)
- proprietary audio jack, (N95 is industry standard jack)
- no camera flash (N95 has this)
- a 2.8M camera (N95 has 5M camera)
- lower quality video 320x240 30frame/sec, N95 does 640x480 30frame/sec
- bigger in size than N95 (99x53x21mm) vs P4550 (110x58x18)

Sources:
- http://pdadb.net/index.php?m=specs&id=733&view=1
- nseries.com

In summary, the N95 is better for imaging and video, connectivity and compactness while the P4550 will offer a more convenient mobile web access experience due to the support for more 3G/3.5G etc. data standards and the QWERTY keyboard when using search engines for example.

I don't think either device wins overall, it really depends on what you want.

Last edited by rjamesd; 18-05-2007 at 11:46 AM.

Old 18-05-2007, 12:05 PM

robgreb is on a distinguished road
Nice summary.

Small correction:

UMTS2100, CSD, GPRS, EDGE, UMTS, HSDPA are all covered by the N95.

Old 18-05-2007, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjamesd View Post
Comparing the hardware is a clearer way to appraise the devices, putting choice of OS aside for a moment.

Hardware wise, then:

HTC P4550 (HTC Kaiser):
What the HTC P4550 has that the N95 doesn't:
+ QWERTY KEYBOARD
+ more data standards, quad band 3G, UMTS800, UMTS850, UMTS1900, UMTS2100, CSD, GPRS, EDGE, UMTS, HSDPA, HSUPA
+ touch screen

What the HTC P4550 doesn't have that the N95 does have:
- no TV out (N95 has this)
- proprietary audio jack, (N95 is industry standard jack)
- no camera flash (N95 has this)
- a 2.8M camera (N95 has 5M camera)
- lower quality video 320x240 30frame/sec, N95 does 640x480 30frame/sec
- bigger in size than N95 (99x53x21mm) vs P4550 (110x58x18)

Sources:
- http://pdadb.net/index.php?m=specs&id=733&view=1
- nseries.com

In summary, the N95 is better for imaging and video, connectivity and compactness while the P4550 will offer a more convenient mobile web access experience due to the support for more 3G/3.5G etc. data standards and the QWERTY keyboard when using search engines for example.

I don't think either device wins overall, it really depends on what you want.
Fairly pointless comparison really, they are totally different architectures. Comparing the two hads no meaning really in terms of what they can actually do. For example connectivity; the N95 has everything you really need (although the N95 has slower WiFi) but there is very very little in the way of software to make us of them.

A couple of other corrections; The P4550 does do video out with the right cables etc. The P4550 may have a proprietary audio jack, but you can get a small adaptor for a couple of quid to use any headphones.

They are on a par connectivity wise, but i completely agree with the imaging comment. GPS is much better on the HTC's too. The photo will be a bit better (make that bigger, some people still think increasing the number of pixels increases the 'quality') and the Video recording on the N95 is excellent That said, video playback will be much better on the HTC because of the better playback software.

Anyway, it's still like comparing a Console to a PC. The hardware is only ever as good as the software that makes use of it.

Last edited by autopilot; 18-05-2007 at 01:07 PM.

Old 18-05-2007, 02:30 PM

raid517 is on a distinguished road
OK, well now I'm confused...

I am new to smartphones... (And new to mobile phones in general - I resisted the urge for all of 39 years - but being a gadget nut, the sheer range of capabilities of the N95 caught my attention). But the user experience of the N95 has intrigued me.

So far I have found it pretty good. It may not be quite on a par with a mini PC - but there is a lot that you can do with it - and the range of apps isn't so bad (if you know where to look).

But if you guys are saying that it is possible to have an overall 'better' user experience' with a HTC P4550 WM device, then I guess I would definitely be interested.

OK so I guess the question is, what range of media players are available for WM type devices? (Since this was the original topic) and where can I look at and gain a good impression of the range of software that is available for these kinds of devices also?

I also agree that the N95 is a very nice device - but where it fails most I think is in the lack of a touch screen and in the lack of a qwerty keyboard. Web browsing (although it is a good web browser) is still something of an awkward experience - with the strange need to learn how to use a non qwerty keyboard - and to also the requirement learn to use it sideways when in landscape mode.

I keep finding myself wanting (and trying) to rotate the main N95 slider screen about a central axis so that the phone would form a T shape when in use for web browsing - as this is the only way a keyboard like this would make any sense.

But of course that really is just a limitation of the current design.

GJ

PS

Has anyone got any info when the P4550 will be available and/or how much it will cost?

Old 18-05-2007, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raid517 View Post
OK so I guess the question is, what range of media players are available for WM type devices? (Since this was the original topic) and where can I look at and gain a good impression of the range of software that is available for these kinds of devices also?
There are quite a few. My personal fav is Conduits Pocket Player because, apart from playing loads of different file types and gapless playback etc, it supports direct streaming over uPNP. What does that mean? It means i install some free software on my (server software) then use a 2 cable which goes from my MDA into the HiFi's around the home. I can then stream my music (300 albums on my PC) to my MDA and listen to them through the hifi (or headphones/boombox in the garden). It's just like having 300 CD's on my MDA, but they are coming over my network. Great for parties and no my using CD's ever again. Even does internet radio, so bye bye DAB and FM radios too

The two best are;
Conduits pocket player
TCMPMP (site seem to be down right now)

TCPMP is free and better for video then pocket player, does Divx etc and you can stream with it. In fact you can play any file with any software over a network as long as you use Resco Explorer to map your PC folders over a network.

Also there is mortplayer, pocketTV, Betaplayer (not used it, but it's meant to be amazing), ipod emulators, the list goes on.

Old 19-05-2007, 09:51 AM

rjamesd is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Anyway, it's still like comparing a Console to a PC.
I'd agree, because they are aimed at different users. I don't think either can claim to be the best. The P4550 competes with Nokia's E Series business phones rather than the N series.

The N95 offers a real alternative to the expense and inconvenience of buying and carrying around a digital camera, a camcorder and an MP3 player.

Sure, dedicated devices will have the edge for example a camera will have a better lense with optical zoom and better flash or an MP3 will have more storage and even higher audio quality.

But for many situations and for many people the N95 spec is good enough and the all-in-one convenience with it's smallish size enables spontaneity, capturing more photo and video opportunities than otherwise. Plus the internet/MMS/wifi/bluetooth features enable instant sharing and publishing of the media which few dedicated devices can offer.

Meanwhile, the HTC P4550 Kaiser falls short with the afterthought 320x240 video quality and lack of flash. Regardless of whether the player is better than N95, if the video is substandard in the first place then there is little value. Plus, some will share and publish their video on the web or DVD anyway.

However it will perform better in mobile office situations with it's touch screen and keyboard. It's size, although larger than the N95 still makes it smaller than regular PDAs such as the iPaq or Axim. This smaller size coupled with a wide range of support for built-in mobile data options makes it a really good contender in the PDA and business oriented mobile market.

If they improved the video, added a flash and allowed for 2 sim cards to be installed e.g. Vodafone for the voice coverage and T-mobile for the generous data allowance then the P4550 would be a sure hit.

Last edited by rjamesd; 19-05-2007 at 10:09 AM.

Old 20-05-2007, 10:05 PM

cmlewan is on a distinguished road
I'm not that impressed with the specs of HTC P4550. More interesting seems to be the E-ten Glofiish X800 which also uses Windows Mobile 6. It has a 480 x 640 pixel screen in 2.8". It has a SiRF Star III GPS, 3.6 MBit/s hsdpa (we think) and (finally) a FM RDS radio.

Of course it has its cons too: 2 MP camera (autofocus though), 65536 color screen and only 64 MB of RAM. They seem to have waisted one (of two?) USB ports on 1.1 as well, although it's not clear.

I'm not ready to abandon my so excellent camera in N95 for anything! So a successor that I would accept won't come, I reckon, for three quarters of a year or something similar...

Old 23-05-2007, 03:23 PM

betyouaint is on a distinguished road
I'm a DivX fan... Always have been. Installed DivX Mobile fine and most of my video media is in DivX anyway so it's easy. It's the best trade off between quality and compression.

Old 25-05-2007, 04:01 AM

hari623 is on a distinguished road
TV output

Im Using Divx N I Cant Put It In Full Screen For My Tv... Helpppp

Old 26-12-2007, 12:56 AM

Menneisyys is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by autopilot View Post
A couple of other corrections; The P4550 does do video out with the right cables etc.

Unfortunately, it doesn't.

Old 26-12-2007, 03:35 AM

tonymy01 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by hari623 View Post
Im Using Divx N I Cant Put It In Full Screen For My Tv... Helpppp
Yeah, I know, sux doesn't it. Because of this limitation with that software (which the Nokia Real Player does not have), I tend to convert stuff with the Nokia Video Converter (and then have lip synch issues or quality issues or the video converter crashing part way through or.....)
Ads

Old 26-12-2007, 04:31 PM

MrJiM is on a distinguished road
I use virtualdub to resize the movies. Usually the movies are widescreen format. So I cut away a little bit from both sides and make it fullscreen. I know I lose some of the movie, but it looks nicer on the phonescreen. And after that I use WinXMedia AVI WMV 3GP Converter to make it .3gp. I use high quality settings ( manually input ). So the .3gp files is around 450 mb for 1 cd movie, and about 550 mb for 2 cd movies. Then just watch with the realplayer in the N95.