All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 20-04-2007, 09:11 AM

jman200x is on a distinguished road
SIP / VoIP settings for N95

If any of you are lucky enough to have working wifi on your N95 and have a VoIP server which uses SIP - these settings might be useful for you. I've tested these with a Zultys VoIP system and it works a treat! can happily wonder about the office and make / receive calls

These are the settings I've got on my Nokia to use the Zultys system...

Service Profile: IETF
Default access point: Your preferred wireless network
Public username: sip:[username]@[domain or IP of SIP server]
Use compression: No
Registration: When needed (use always on if you want it to stay connected all the time)
Use security: No
>Proxy server
>>Proxy server address: sip:[VoIP server IP address]
>>Realm: Your domain, same as above
>>Username: [Guess what goes here]
>>Password: [Hmm]
>>Allow loose routing: Yes
>>Transport type: Auto (or UDP usually)
>>Port: 5060
>Registrar server
>>Registrar server address: sip:[VoIP server IP address]
>>Realm: Your domain, same as above
>>Username: [Guess what goes here]
>>Password: [Hmm]
>>Allow loose routing: Yes
>>Transport type: Auto (or UDP usually)
>>Port: 5060

Last edited by jman200x; 01-07-2008 at 11:16 AM.

Old 20-04-2007, 09:12 AM

Also, received the following email from Nokia support. Thought it might be of help to those having problems setting up WiFi on their devices.

Thank you for contacting Nokia Helpline.

With regard to your query concerning using wireless LAN on your Nokia N/E series device, we would advise that we have included a guide below to assist you. Please ensure the network name (SSID) is public so that your phone can locate it.

1) Navigate to Menu, Tools, Settings, Connection, Access Points.
2) Select Options, New access point and choose to Use default settings.
3) Input a familiar name for the new WLAN access point.
4) Select WLAN as the Data bearer.
5) In WLAN NETW.NAME - Select your Wireless router by choosing Search for network. (Your network/SSID must be visible at this point)
6) Choose the Network status relevant to your router.
7) Choose the Network mode relevant to your router.
8) Choose the Security mode relevant to your router.
9) Select Security settings if required and insert the appropriate settings relevant to your router.

Note:
If you need confirmation of your Wireless LAN router settings, please contact your router manufacturer.

To set up your Web browser to use your new WLAN access point, proceed as follows:
1) Navigate to the Web browser on your Nokia phone.
2) Once this is open, cancel any open web page by pressing the right soft key.
3) Select Options/Settings/Access Point and choose Always ask. Please note that if you are creating an access point for a hidden network, the Web browser access point must be set to the specific WLAN access point.
4) You are now able to select the Access point required every time the Web browser starts. This will enable you to choose to use your new WLAN access point if you are in range of the WLAN or choose a different access point if you are not.

If you are using WPA RADIUS and are experiencing problems connecting to the network please check:
a. Your RADIUS server address
b. That the RADIUS server is up and running
Please contact your network administrator for more assistance if you still cannot connect.

If you are using MAC address filtering on your router, please ensure that the MAC address of your device is added to the list. The MAC address can be found by typing in *#62209526# when in standby mode. Please consult your router’s operating guide for assistance using MAC address filtering, or contact your network administrator.

If you get an error saying “No gateway reply”, this may also be due to your phone not using an IP address. Many networks use DHCP to automatically assign an IP address and this is a common feature on most consumer routers. However, if your network does not use DHCP please ensure that you have assigned a correct IP address and Subnet mask on the phone. To do this, go to Menu, Tools, Settings, Connection, Access Points, edit the access point in question, press Options and select Advanced settings. Please input the IP address and subnet mask of your router into the Ipv4 settings. For more information on DHCP please consult your router’s operating guide.

Some Bluetooth equipment can interfere with WLAN. Please ensure that any Bluetooth equipment around you is disabled if you continue to have problems.

Old 22-04-2007, 04:10 AM

kostasthai is on a distinguished road
Confratulations to excellent posts

indeed excellent resources, plase put in prominet place so others in need can see and benefit from!
Cheers that is what forums are for!

Old 03-07-2007, 04:05 PM

koolandrew is on a distinguished road
Sip settings for Nokia N95

I followed these settings as posted and i am having no lucked getting the phone to register.

I have no issue browsing over the internet and i contact Nokia customer service and they refused to troubleshoot.

Any ideas?

I would be pleased to give the settings I am using to someone else if they are successful or vice versa.

Thanks

Old 03-07-2007, 04:43 PM

dez_borders is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman200x View Post
If any of you are lucky enough to have working wifi on your N95 and have a VoIP server which uses SIP - these settings might be useful for you.
Don't take this the wrong way, but why are you manually creating SIP profiles when apps like Gizmo and TruPhone both automatically create working SIP profiles for you?

Old 03-07-2007, 08:29 PM

md27514 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by dez_borders View Post
Don't take this the wrong way, but why are you manually creating SIP profiles when apps like Gizmo and TruPhone both automatically create working SIP profiles for you?
Some people have their own Asterisk, or voip gateway at work they want to use. Obviously, for these you need to use manual setup.

Old 04-07-2007, 06:40 AM

dez_borders is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by md27514 View Post
Some people have their own Asterisk, or voip gateway at work they want to use. Obviously, for these you need to use manual setup.
OK thanks. Now I see the use for manual setup.

Old 12-10-2007, 11:57 PM

electronegative is on a distinguished road
can you tell me how to use voip cheap on my n95???

Old 13-10-2007, 06:57 AM

chrsfrwll is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by electronegative View Post
can you tell me how to use voip cheap on my n95???
Go to Truphone.com download their software and you can have VOIP calls to a whole heap of landlines for free until the end of the year. (Truphone to Truphone will always be free) Is that cheap enough?

Old 13-10-2007, 09:41 AM

electronegative is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrsfrwll View Post
Go to Truphone.com download their software and you can have VOIP calls to a whole heap of landlines for free until the end of the year. (Truphone to Truphone will always be free) Is that cheap enough?

vopicheap only costs 3.5 euro cents.... where as truphone is 7 cents.... i know am fuzzy.... but if this can work... u kno....

Old 20-11-2007, 05:58 PM

boluak is on a distinguished road
try fring

Quote:
Originally Posted by electronegative View Post
vopicheap only costs 3.5 euro cents.... where as truphone is 7 cents.... i know am fuzzy.... but if this can work... u kno....
i know what u mean, i like to remain in control of how i make my calls, truphone doesnt make that very easy with the default settings, u need to make changes...(mind u, i have not tried truphone yet, info only from reading the manuals and blogs on their site) i have tried using the N95 inbuilt settings but i have not had any success.

i am using fring which is adequate untill i can get the N95 settings corrected

Old 19-03-2008, 09:09 PM

vitto is on a distinguished road
N95 Sip with Nortel MCS5100

Quote:
Originally Posted by koolandrew View Post
I followed these settings as posted and i am having no lucked getting the phone to register.

I have no issue browsing over the internet and i contact Nokia customer service and they refused to troubleshoot.

Any ideas?

I would be pleased to give the settings I am using to someone else if they are successful or vice versa.

Thanks
I have this issue:

In the office i have an MCS5100 an would like to connect the N95 using SIP with it, so i can use it as an extension.

I have configured the N95 like it is described here, but i always get a message that it is unable to register.

Did someone had the same issue?

Old 15-04-2008, 11:01 AM

apologies for replying to such an old thread - just in case anyones interested i've managed to get my N95 working with SIP via a WLAN using WPA-Enterprise encryption (so - using credentials backed off via RADIUS / peap etc.. ). If anyone's interested let me know and I'll copy out my settings and some of the methodology.

Old 15-04-2008, 01:24 PM

vitto is on a distinguished road
jman200x, could you please be so kind in telling us how did you make it work? Also what PBX are you using? Thanks

Old 15-04-2008, 02:27 PM

ok - it's a bit fiddly for WPA-enterprise.

Firstly, the settings I have are based on a Microsoft RADIUS / IAS backend. So - you will need to export the public key of your enterprise root CA. this can be exported through your browser once you know which cert to use.

Then, copy this off to your N95 and install and mark it for all possible uses when prompted.

Then you setup the connection under access points as per usual with these settings...
General settings >

connection name: [any name]
data bearer: Wireless LAN
wlan network name: [your wireless SSID]
network status: hidden / public
WLAN security mode - WPA/WPA2

WLAN security settings >>

WPA/WPA2: EAP
WPA2 only mode: off (this forces AES encryption I believe, off = TKIP)

EAP Plug-in settings >>>
Here, make sure you only select EAP-PEAP and raise it to the top of the list
Then, edit the settings for EAP-PEAP

EAP-PEAP settings>>>>
Personal certificate: Not defined
Authority certificate: [select the one you imported in the previous steps]
Username in use: user defined
username: [domain username without FQDN. so - john.smith NOT DOMAIN\john.smith or john.smith@domain]
Realm: From certificate or user defined - doesn't make much difference so long as the cert is the correct one for the domain you are trying to authenticate to.
Allow PEAPv0/1/2: Yes to all

(almost there...)

then switch to the 'EAPs' tab

select EAP-MSCHAPv2 and raise to top of the list. Then edit the settings...
username: domain username
prompt password: up to you, no functional difference
password: domain password

Then back out of all the 101 menus you've just configured and 'hopefully' you'll be able to connect to your WPA-enterprise based WLAN (based on the most common of settings for WPA-enterprise WLAN that i've seen anyway)