All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > Symbian Based Devices > S60 (Series 60) > Nokia N95 and N95 8GB

Old 24-01-2007, 11:15 PM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
Ask any N95 questions - I'll do my best to answer. (NOTE: old thread.)

So if you got any questions about the Nokia N95 I'll do my best to answer as we go in this thread.

You can also read the N95 preview here:
http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/featu...mpressions.php

Old 24-01-2007, 11:43 PM

nj7 is on a distinguished road
Thanks Rafe.
1. Where are the maps for GPS and how it works? Who is the provider of that maps, Navigon or Teleatlas? For what you said, is kind Wayfinder, with data connection and search on-line for maps? Is a free service or a pay one?
2. Battery life? Like N80, I suppose!
3. Photo quality, any improvements, or only more pixels?

Last edited by nj7; 24-01-2007 at 11:48 PM.

Old 25-01-2007, 08:27 AM

ratza is on a distinguished road
1. Can the inbuilt GPS work with other SW like TomTom, Route66 etc ?
2. Battery life under normal usage (calls, music, browsing, taking pictures/videos) - I don't keep my phone on the drawer
3. How sensitive is the WiFi, does it work at 50-80 meters from the router ?
4. How muck is the price without contract ?
5. Can the music keys be assigned to OggPlayer ?

Old 25-01-2007, 09:34 AM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by nj7 View Post
Thanks Rafe.
1. Where are the maps for GPS and how it works? Who is the provider of that maps, Navigon or Teleatlas? For what you said, is kind Wayfinder, with data connection and search on-line for maps? Is a free service or a pay one?
2. Battery life? Like N80, I suppose!
3. Photo quality, any improvements, or only more pixels?
1. The data comes from TeleAtlas. Yes it is like Wayfinder and other GPS software. Maps and toute planning happen over the air (so you may want a decent data plan, though it does cache stuff locally too). The service is free (outside of operator data charges.

2. Battery life - too early too tell, but was pleasant surprised how well it did when I had eveything going for some time (Bluetooth, WLAN, GPRS (on and off) and GPS). We'll see, but yes I think its a charge every night device.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratza View Post
1. Can the inbuilt GPS work with other SW like TomTom, Route66 etc ?
2. Battery life under normal usage (calls, music, browsing, taking pictures/videos) - I don't keep my phone on the drawer
3. How sensitive is the WiFi, does it work at 50-80 meters from the router ?
4. How muck is the price without contract ?
5. Can the music keys be assigned to OggPlayer ?
1. Yes if they use the S60 location APIs. However I imagine the third party software may need to do some tweaks for feature pack 1 and to support the GPS. In summary its accessible to third parties, not sure if it works now. Will try and check this.
2. See above.
3. WiFi seems good so far. Will test this more later.
4. Around 550 Euro. Thats 360 approx.
5. Haven't tested that yet, but probably not without third party software.

Old 25-01-2007, 10:11 AM

NeilA is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the preview Rafe... few more questions for you:

How much free RAM is there on start up?

How is the keypad compared to the fab one on the N93?

Do you think the internal GPS receiver is any less powerful than a standard external GPS?

What's the firmware version?

I presume the remote control has a standard headphone socket?

thanks
Neil

Old 25-01-2007, 10:36 AM

nj7 is on a distinguished road
Another preview / review here: http://www.xonio.com/artikel/x_artikel_22102295.html
And photos from N95 (from Rafe) here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/rafebla...769867/detail/
Not exactly great technical quality photos (my opinion) - maybe only more pixels to fill the card, and the same as N73

Last edited by nj7; 25-01-2007 at 10:46 AM.

Old 25-01-2007, 04:22 PM

ridin8ude is on a distinguished road
Simple question:
Any chance the N95 supports or will support Blackberry push email functionality?

I know it's greedy to want it cuz the phone does everything else.

But I'd rather have this than the E70, but I need the email functionality so...

Old 25-01-2007, 07:09 PM

vaibhav_law is on a distinguished road
Also it'll b great if u could tell us about the youtube functionality. Does it work?

Old 25-01-2007, 07:14 PM

elaverick is on a distinguished road
Does the SIP client on this phone allow you to configure STUN or other NAT traversal protocols from the interface or is it all hidden as on the N80IE?

If the phone comes with a seperate 3.5mm jack for the audio can we assume that this is a mini-USB device rather than a Pop Port one?

And a bit trivial I know but is there a sensible door on the microUSB slot or is it another flappy bit of plastic like on the N80? For that matter what's the build quality like in general... is there much play in the slide? Does it feel plasticy or is it a bit more robust?

Thanks

Old 25-01-2007, 08:39 PM

Liquid_Li0n is on a distinguished road
Can you use the FM radio without plugging in the headset cable first?
What kind of microSD do you get with the phone?

Then a more important question:
- Hows the shutterlag of the camera normal and night mode? And how is the flash, is it still blue, like on the N70 or a real white flash (btw shutterlag from N70 is really slow)

- What about the interface? Is it still a bit slow like the other symbian devices. I mean when you boot up the phone and you press the menu key it takes a while to show the grid (can you also choose for a list view of the icons?)

Those are the question for know, when I have more question I know where to find you friend

let us know
greetz :-)

My Nokia Phone history--> 6150 | 3210 | 6210 | 6600 & N-Gage | N70 & 9500 | E61 & N73 ME | E90 & E50 | N900

Old 25-01-2007, 10:42 PM

Super Chimp is on a distinguished road
What is the screen like-how does it compare to the N93 screen, I have concerned at QVGA on such a large screen size?

What is the keyboard like to use? I had hand to send my N73 back because I found the keypad too painful to use. I have had no such issues with the N80 or N93 but I am slightly concerned by the N95 keypad as it looks a bit like the cramped N73 keypad.

Seems like a good price much, much lower than I paid for my N93. With UK tax I suppose it will be £400 or so when it first appears.

Old 26-01-2007, 03:58 PM
Founder / Chief

I've now answered many questions here:
http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/featu...s_answered.php

I have not answered all of them, but will get to them as I can. I've combined similar questions together.

Rafe

Old 26-01-2007, 08:11 PM

Super Chimp is on a distinguished road
Thanks for answering my questions. I am concerned that you say we will see it on contract first & that it will be while before we see it SIM free in the UK as both my contracts are not due for an upgrade for sometime. I thought when a phone appeared SIM free had no relation to when it appeared on contract?

Old 26-01-2007, 08:25 PM

FlamingPumpkin is on a distinguished road
Hello.
What happens when you launch "Camera" application from menu in landscape mode, when the 5MP shutter is closed? Could you please make a screeshot of such situation please?
Thanks

Old 26-01-2007, 08:30 PM

raduci is on a distinguished road
Blackberry connect ?

Is there any information that N95 may support Blackberry connect ?
Can you check that by installing the Blackberry connect client from Nokia ?
h**p://vvv.businesssoftware.nokia.com/blackberry_downloads.php
It's just a hope ....
Thank You very much !