All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 19-09-2005, 09:13 AM
Ye Olde Administratorium

Ewan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to behold
Phone Handset The Nokia i6630: A Response to the ROKR

Okay, it's not the fabled N91, but Nokia have pushed out the 6630 Music Edition into the stores, coming with a bundled 256mb RS-MMC, which Nokia labels as holding up to 15 albums of music, which should be more than a match for the 100 iTunes song limit on the Motorola ROKR.

Transferring music is easy with the bundled USB MMC/SD reader, and if you realy want a standard 3.5 mm headphone jack for those ever so stylish white bud earphones, either for a this or any 6630, or any other Pop-port enabled phone, pick up the Nokia Audio Bundle, which includes the Pop port Audio Adapter, a 256 MB MMC Card, USB MMC/SD reader and Nokia Stereo Audio Cable.

Full Press Release

Rock And Roll On The Go With the Nokia 6630 Music Edition
September 19, 2005

New music player and bundled memory card make mobile music easy

Espoo, Finland - Nokia today announced the Nokia 6630 Music Edition, a special music version of the iconic 3G smartphone. The Nokia 6630 Music Edition has been designed with enhanced music functionality to make it convenient for you to take your music collection with you while on the move. Shipping later this month, the Nokia 6630 Music Edition is available for European, Middle Eastern and African markets.

"The Nokia 6630 Music Edition is a fantastic combination of music, smartphone and 3G," said Tuula Rytilš-Uotila, Director, Imaging EMEA, Nokia. "You can carry a good portion of your music collection with you where ever you go and with the Nokia Audio Adapter, you can quicky connect your favorite set of music headphones."

The updated music player makes it easier than ever to manage and play your music files. The included 256-megabyte memory card lets you store up to 15 CDs worth of music while support for up to 1 GB RS-MMC means you'll never have to be without your favorite tunes. You can transfer music to the Nokia 6630 Music Edition quickly and easily, with the included Nokia PC Suite software or with the bundled Nokia USB MMC/SD reader. Connecting your favorite headphones is a snap with the Nokia Audio Adapter and its 3.5 mm stereo jack.

Available in either Rustic Red or Aluminum Grey, the Nokia 6630 Music Edition is easy to personalize with a new selection of themes and ring tones pre-installed. You can also benefit from the wide range of smartphone features, including a 1.3 megapixel camera, mobile broadband access with WCDMA networks, mobile email, streaming video and much more.

Nokia today also launched the Nokia Music Pack, a bundled package of enhancements that makes it easy to enjoy your music collection on your mobile device. The package includes the Nokia Audio Adapter, the Nokia 256 MB MMC Card, the Nokia USB MMC/SD reader and Nokia Stereo Audio Cable. You can even share your mobile music experience by plugging your compatible phone - like the Nokia 6630 Music Edition -- into your home stereo with the audio adapter and stereo audio cable.*

* Compatible models include the Nokia 3230, the Nokia 6230, the Nokia 6230i, the Nokia 6260, the Nokia 6630, the Nokia 6680, the Nokia 6681, the Nokia 6682, the Nokia 7710, the Nokia 9300, the Nokia 9500, the Nokia N70 and the Nokia N90
-- Twitter: @ewan

Last edited by slitchfield; 20-09-2005 at 10:07 AM.

Old 19-09-2005, 10:26 AM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ewan
pick up the Nokia Audio Bundle, which includes the Pop port Audio Adapter, a 256 MB MMC Card, USB MMC/SD reader and Nokia Stereo Audio Cable.
Interesting stuff. No mention of new software though, so presumably it just comes with instructions for using the klunky music bit of PC Suite 6.6 to produce folders of AAC files?

With they'd just endorse OggPlay and have done with it!

I've asked Nokia PR for a music pack - if they come up with one, I'll report back.

Steve Litchfield

Old 19-09-2005, 11:00 AM

Masamune is on a distinguished road
I think this could be a strong rival for the ROKR - they're both as ugly as each other...

On another note, I'd love to know what kind music format Nokia are using that fits 15 albums onto a 256Mb card:

15 albums = Approx 150 songs x a minimum of 3Mb per song = 450Mb worth of MP3...

Personally I think Nokia doesn't need to worry too much about the ROKR. With the recent arrival of the lovely iPod Nano (and it is lovely - I got one on the weekend), people have seen how small MP3 players can get and with the clunky interface on the ROKR, together with rumours of a cap on the number of songs you can have, it's not going to be the big deal everyone thinks it is. What everyone's really waiting for is the "true" Apple iPhone. Now that will be reason for Nokia to loose sleep.

Old 19-09-2005, 11:03 AM

Oh, and while I'm on the subject, lanyard headphones, be it headset or the ones on the Nano, aren't going to catch on either - I don't think people are going to be fans of headphones you can easily strangle yourself with.

Old 19-09-2005, 11:14 AM
Super Moderator

stuclark is on a distinguished road
Good old Nokia - drag out sales of a (now) old handset by adding an i onto it's name

Why couldn't they launch this with the N70? That would have made a much better combination!

(failing that, why don't Motorola buy a Series 60 license and release the X2? )

Old 19-09-2005, 11:39 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masamune
On another note, I'd love to know what kind music format Nokia are using that fits 15 albums onto a 256Mb card:

15 albums = Approx 150 songs x a minimum of 3Mb per song = 450Mb worth of MP3...
I suspect they're using AAC, the same format they've always used with their PC Suite encoder. AAC sounds OK at about 96kbps, which means about 6 hours of music in 256MB, or around 9 40-minute albums. AAC at 64kbps would give 12 40-minute albums but would be quite tinny and only appropriate for trivial pop.

I wonder how they get the '15' figure, then?

Steve Litchfield
PS. Now, if they used OggPlay and .ogg files, they'd get CD quality music at 64kbps and pop quality at only 45kbps, making 15 albums a reality. But I bet they're not using this 8-)

Old 19-09-2005, 04:25 PM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
Its an interesting marketing excerise, and I think the most interesting aspect is that Nokia have recognised using smartphone as a DAP is a primary use. I reckon using smartphones as a DAP is probably number 3 on the list after calling/telephony, and camera... though I may be a few places off (email, browsing)?

Old 19-09-2005, 05:28 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafe
Its an interesting marketing excerise, and I think the most interesting aspect is that Nokia have recognised using smartphone as a DAP is a primary use. I reckon using smartphones as a DAP is probably number 3 on the list after calling/telephony, and camera... though I may be a few places off (email, browsing)?
For the main in the street, it's probably:
1:telephony/SMS [100% of people know it can do this]
2:camera [100% ditto]
3:music [20% ditto]
4:games [20% ditto]
5:PIM [10% ditto]

In truth, those are my own top 5 as well, though in a different order 8-)

Steve Litchfield

Old 19-09-2005, 06:09 PM

In terms of public perception, I would say SMS, then calling. Music and cameras aren't nearly as important as Nokia and other manufacturers think, leastways until the picture quality improves significantly (at least 4MP upwards). Music-wise, both MP3 and AAC will struggle in the face of the iPod for one very important reason - simplicity. Ask any iPod owner how many clicks it takes in iTunes to dump a ton of music on an iPod in well structured, organised manner and they'll either say 1, 2 or most often - "I don't". As far as I know, none of the Nokia handsets will ship with any kind of music organising software, which means the process of loading up a memory card or in the worst case a 4Gb microdrive is far too complicated for the average mush on the street. I'd be interested to see how the ROKR copes with this...

Old 19-09-2005, 11:30 PM

martinharnevie is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuclark
failing that, why don't Motorola buy a Series 60 licence
Moto won't go anywhere near it. "X2" with UIQ 3 is more likely.

Old 20-09-2005, 08:28 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinharnevie
Moto won't go anywhere near it. "X2" with UIQ 3 is more likely.
That was a sarcastic comment

Old 20-09-2005, 10:20 AM

mob453 is on a distinguished road
So when is this new firmware coming out then, it surely cant be hardware dependent?

Old 20-09-2005, 10:26 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mob453
So when is this new firmware coming out then, it surely cant be hardware dependent?
I doubt it's even a new firmware - just a tweak or two to PC-Suite...

Old 20-09-2005, 10:31 AM

mob453 is on a distinguished road
the press photo shows the nokia 6630 music player with a new screen, so surely it's firmware?

Old 20-09-2005, 10:45 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mob453
the press photo shows the nokia 6630 music player with a new screen, so surely it's firmware?
It's probably just another OggPlay skin 8-))))))

(Seriously, I'm doing a tutorial for PDA Essentials magazine at the moment on turning your Nokia 6630 into an iPod using the iPogg OggPlay 'skin'.)

Steve Litchfield