All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 29-03-2004, 08:54 AM

Kothos is on a distinguished road
Angry A920 won't boot - need help! - will reward!

As you can probably guess from the subject, I'm absolutely desperate. I'm also in Australia (Sydney, if that makes any difference).

I got an A920 a few months ago. I haven't fiddled with it, just used it and taken photos and added stuff to the address book and contact database etc...

It has been majorly buggy from Day 1. I have never been able to synch or backup the data. When used on a Windows 2000 machine, the phone detects on USB but DesktopSuite continually says there is no phone. When used on Windows XP, it works but as soon as you try to transfer data the computer restarts! Neither Three nor Motorola have been able to help!

Anyway, this is not my problem! My problem is that the phone started giving me memory error messages - even though the internal memory has only a couple of megs of data on it and the SD card is nearly empty. This morning, it stopped booting!

I need it to boot! It boots and gets to the "3" splash screen and then just hangs. It can still receieve calls and gives me missed call messages, but I cannot get into the OS to make calls or access any data. I need my data!

Sorry if I'm coming across as hysterical, I am! I so desperately need to access my data (on the internal memory) it's not funny.

The data is still there, I know. When I shut the phone down, it gets over whatever hang up it has and briefly shows me the OS applications screen, then shuts down.

Three have said that I need to get the upgrade to fix this - but then I'll lose my data! They reckon there's no way to save it, but there's got to be, because it's still there! I don't care if they have to pick it out of the memory bit by bit using a binary editor, I need it!

Does anybody know how to get over this boot problem? I'm willing to offer small cash rewards or grossly discounted computer parts (I work in IT) for any help whatsoever.

Thanks heaps in advance!! (-:

Old 15-04-2004, 08:51 PM

Insomniac1 is on a distinguished road
Exclamation I have the excact same probleme

I cant get to the program menu or any other menu.

If you have an shortcut by using the keys to get to the Apps menu
so that I can get Desktop suite started and connect to pc with
USB, then plz let me know.
Or a way to start USB connection by using the keys on the phone.

If I can get an USB connection then there is no probleme.

Do you know if a format of the phone's c: drive, and then a restart,
restores the system automatically? As it does on the SE P800
How do you start a format?

With kind regards

Jan

Ps. Full Reset didn't help.
I've got the "crack" for desktop suite so that you can take control
over the phone and copy all the tones or backgrounds you want
to the phone. And it is not illegal SW since its never been nearby
Motorola, its freeware by Ruptor.

Last edited by Insomniac1; 15-04-2004 at 08:53 PM. Reason: Getting notification set to ON

Old 04-05-2004, 06:47 PM

motorolle is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Get the OS uppgrade!

Hi

I have only had my A920 for couple of days but i went to the service and had the phones OS upgraded for no cost. The most of the bugs may be gone with that. I had some other problems like turning OFF for no reason when the battery was of good condition.

Turn it in to service and make the upgrade!

Good Luck!
:-)
Ads

Old 04-05-2004, 10:17 PM

Insomniac1 is on a distinguished road
I did, unfotunately it takes forever for the service center to fix it. They have too many repairs with all the faulty A835 comming in. And 3 in Denmark again took back the Firmware updat so it will not come out untill theend of this month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorolle
Hi

I have only had my A920 for couple of days but i went to the service and had the phones OS upgraded for no cost. The most of the bugs may be gone with that. I had some other problems like turning OFF for no reason when the battery was of good condition.

Turn it in to service and make the upgrade!

Good Luck!
:-)