All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 27-12-2008, 02:58 PM

thatdamngoood is on a distinguished road
Unhappy E61 - Unable to access contacts

Hi - I have been using my new E61 for a little over 2 months now & I love it. For the last 2 days, however, I have been unable to access my >700 contacts for some reason. Everytime I hit the 'Contact's key, next to the navi pad, or try to get to this application through the 'Menu', it pops up an annoying message - There was a problem. Please try again. This persists no matter what I do - synchronise, switch on & off etc etc. Would anyone know anything about this ? This is fast becoming a bane to my existence so any assistance will be HIGHLY appreciated.

I must also note here 2 things that may provide an insight or might otherwise be related to my problem -
that when I try looking up a contact using quick access (i.e. shortcut key entry search from the home screen), it seems to work well, so long as I choose an action (one of Voice Call, Send Text msg, Send MM msg, Send Audio msg..), however, if I 'click' on a contact's name, I see the same annoying pop-up again for a split second, followed by a 'frozen' contact screen showing contact's first, middle and last names. All I can do here is press 'back' to get back out to the home screen.

that in the last 2 days, on restart, parallel to loading the start-up applications, my phone's been trying to install something. It begins the install process with the typical pop-up 'Installing', which changes into something like 'Untrusted software found on memory card, please see App Manager...' (I haven't been able to catch this message in full - as it quickly disappears).
Yes, I have installed some 3rd party applications, however, none in the last 5 or so days. During this annoyance, I have also uninstalled any application that I can live without, but, nothing has changed. Going to App Manager, Downloads etc doesn't seem to help either.

Anyone ? Anything ? PLEASE ?

Thanks a lot in advance...

Nitin Malhotra
Ads