All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 06-01-2010, 07:58 AM

Recidivist is on a distinguished road
Black mark on images (lens/sensor?)

Hi,

I've had my N86 8MP for a few months and generally love it.

However, it has recently developed a problem with the camera, and as the camera was one of the main reasons I bought this phone I can't put up with it.

As you can see from these photos, there is a black mark on all of the images that it makes - always in the same spot, just off centre. It's particularly bad when the flash is used or in low light. This is a new problem, it didn't used to happen - I think there is dust on the lens/sensor.

Does anyone have any comments for the best way to get this fixed? If possible I would like to avoid taking it to Nokia Care as I'm very pushed for time and I also changed the phone's product code so they may be unwilling to help me.

Thanks!

Old 24-05-2010, 03:58 AM

Well, it didn't get much of a response last time, but I'll update this in case someone else finds the info useful.

I took the phone back to the shop a few weeks ago, they replaced the motherboard, and sure enough there were no black marks on the sensor. But within 2 weeks, the NEW sensor had the same issue - a black mark on the picture again. Surely this doesn't happen with all N86 8MPs?

Old 24-05-2010, 11:25 AM

jApi NL is on a distinguished road
Smile Grey Spot

I didn't read your post in January . But I had a similar issue on the E90 in the beginning : a grey spot on every single picture . It was not seen in screenshots , though . But then it disappeared like a miracle , at the very moment I was claiming warranty at the Nokia Service Point . It was a bit embarrassing , but I could prove the issue by showing them the pictures ....
Was it a dust particle ? I still don't know . Anyway , the camera should take clear pictures , so go back and claim your warranty . Maybe a similar miracle will happen again ....

Regards jApi NL

Old 25-05-2010, 12:25 AM

Hi,

Thanks for taking the time to answer Your story is funny - imagine you hadn't saved any example photos - you would have looked crazy!

Luckily for me, this time the grey mark is in the bottom-right of the sensor, so it is much less noticeable in the pictures because it's usually against a dark + varied background (the ground) instead of against the sky...

I will take it back at some point, but I have a bad feeling that it's just going to keep happening.
Ads