All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 26-07-2009, 09:16 PM

PaulyLaw is on a distinguished road
Photo storage on N97

With 48Gb of storage on my N97 I not only like to store the photos I take on the phone itself, but I also store every digital photo I've ever taken. My N97 is my complete personal photo album, with me all the time.

Which is why I so dislike S60's way of displaying every photo in a single view. Thats ok when you have a few dozen photos, but what about when you have 3000 photos!

Why cant there just be some way giving me the option to view all photos or just the ones within a particulal folder.

The only application I have found that will do this is still the one from Resco but this is really looking a bit dated now.

Anyone have any news on any others that I could consider?

Old 26-07-2009, 09:22 PM

Fleksnes is on a distinguished road
What's wrong with albums and tags?

Old 27-07-2009, 07:35 AM

BanziBarn is on a distinguished road
The photo browser app might be what you need. It shows all your pictures on a massive 3D wall. It's a nice app but is a little slow is rendering the thumb nails.

Old 27-07-2009, 07:58 AM

davecozens is on a distinguished road
What we really need is a thumbnail viewer with data/tag browser for images...

maybe even "dual pane" in a windows explorer style, with a left pane showing info like below: -
Dates
- June 2009
- July 2009
Tags
- Dog
- Cat
And a right hand pane showing matching thumbnails...

D

NEW: Tweet & Share GPS location: Locator

Fed up of Adware on Ovi? See my Freeware, Wallpaper and Accessories sites...

FREE News Widgets for Symbian, UK Traffic, News, Football, Movies and Gadgets/Tech.

More at www.davecozens.com/

Old 27-07-2009, 10:05 AM

Gerco is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulyLaw View Post

The only application I have found that will do this is still the one from Resco but this is really looking a bit dated now.
I had Resco Photo Viewe on my N95 8Gb, just for the simple fact that I can go through the map structure and with that, group my images.

The problem is that Resco has not released a version yet that works on the N97. I already contacted them, but for now there is nothing available yet... :(

Old 27-07-2009, 10:53 AM

Unplugged is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleksnes View Post
What's wrong with albums and tags?
Because having photos in folders makes sence.

It works extremely well allows you to organise your photos by folder and find it easily (tree structure) and you can organise stuff from a memory card reader using a laptop and the phone picks it up....

Tagging stuff means all your photos are mashed into one folder if you format the phone or add photos you have to manually tag and move them (which doesent alter their structure on card) so when you browser the phones card on a pc it makes no scene.

Nokias camera structure if kind of logical but if I create a folder in the same way as the camera does it still dumps photos in downloaded items which has thousands. Seriously needs attention.

Old 27-07-2009, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unplugged View Post
Because having photos in folders makes sence.

It works extremely well allows you to organise your photos by folder and find it easily (tree structure) and you can organise stuff from a memory card reader using a laptop and the phone picks it up....

Tagging stuff means all your photos are mashed into one folder if you format the phone or add photos you have to manually tag and move them (which doesent alter their structure on card) so when you browser the phones card on a pc it makes no scene.

Nokias camera structure if kind of logical but if I create a folder in the same way as the camera does it still dumps photos in downloaded items which has thousands. Seriously needs attention.
Whats wrong with tags? Erm .. exactly what he said :-)

Old 27-07-2009, 06:57 PM

jApi NL is on a distinguished road
Smile Organize

You can also manually organize the pictures , see my 2 posts here :
http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/forum...869#post427869

Regards jApi NL

Last edited by jApi NL; 27-07-2009 at 07:01 PM. Reason: Correction

Old 27-07-2009, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jApi NL View Post
You can also manually organize the pictures , see my 2 posts here :
http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/forum...869#post427869

Regards jApi NL
Unless I am missing something (which is not unusual!) but I dont think that S60 5th uses the same system as 3rd, and therefore the system you mentioned wont work here.

Specifically I cant see that you can create folders in the 5th version of Gallery.

Any thoughts?

Old 29-07-2009, 07:48 AM

Unplugged is on a distinguished road
My photos are already in Folders.

The gallery mashes them all into "Downloaded"

I dont fancy having to "tag" every photo or replicate the file structure in the Nokia Gallery to match the card. It's a bit of a pointless excrcice when the file structure for mine and captures ( date folder ) is already perfectly adequate.

Old 29-07-2009, 12:02 PM

jApi NL is on a distinguished road
Smile + 7000 Files

I think it is a pity you can not make Folders in S60 v 5 "Gallery" . I just mentioned my way of organizing about 5000 Images and 2000 other files like video music etc.
When I use Gallery's All Files I have to scroll maybe 4000 thumbnails to find a certain file . That's a lot of exercise as well !
Beta Labs Photo Browser is of course an interesting evolution in this issue .

Regards jApi NL

Old 30-07-2009, 11:02 PM

plexus is on a distinguished road
I totally agree.
The N97 has a great camera but the worst photo browsing/showing app I had seen in very long time.
I still miss the great photo showing apps (note the plural)on my old Omnia (including a beautiful digiframe app with music) and my other phone (HTC touchHD) has far superior possibilities in this field too.
This is supposed to be media flagship phone, how is it possible that there is nothing better for viewing and editing your pics?

Oh , and the music player sucks too; not only is far worse than those on my touchHD and my old Omnia, but is much worse also than that on my old N95 and N95 8gb: at least these had a couple of visualizations, the one on the N97 is studied to be as boring, basic and annoying as it could possibly be.
Im desperatly looking for apps that can replace those 2 ,so far without any luck.
Any suggestions will be extremely welcome.

Old 31-07-2009, 06:10 AM

angiepea is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by plexus View Post
I totally agree.
The N97 has a great camera but the worst photo browsing/showing app I had seen in very long time.
I still miss the great photo showing apps (note the plural)on my old Omnia (including a beautiful digiframe app with music) and my other phone (HTC touchHD) has far superior possibilities in this field too.
This is supposed to be media flagship phone, how is it possible that there is nothing better for viewing and editing your pics?

Oh , and the music player sucks too; not only is far worse than those on my touchHD and my old Omnia, but is much worse also than that on my old N95 and N95 8gb: at least these had a couple of visualizations, the one on the N97 is studied to be as boring, basic and annoying as it could possibly be.
Im desperatly looking for apps that can replace those 2 ,so far without any luck.
Any suggestions will be extremely welcome.
well ..... the background on your music screen can be changed if you changed your theme, here's a screen shot of mine, but because the backlight can only be set at a maximum of 60 seconds then it's pretty much pointless having anything interesting cos your screen will black out anyway. The only app i can find to stop that is called "smartlight" which you have to buy, and i will buy it as i've tried the free trial and it works great ....... i just haven't gotten round to it yet.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	scr000004.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	24.2 KB
ID:	4568  

Old 31-07-2009, 06:18 AM

davecozens is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by angiepea View Post
i just haven't gotten round to it yet.
I've got a list of those somewhere... Oh hang on. Didn't make it yet

NEW: Tweet & Share GPS location: Locator

Fed up of Adware on Ovi? See my Freeware, Wallpaper and Accessories sites...

FREE News Widgets for Symbian, UK Traffic, News, Football, Movies and Gadgets/Tech.

More at www.davecozens.com/

Old 31-07-2009, 08:00 AM

plexus is on a distinguished road
I love jour theme Angipeia.
I tried to install a couple yesterday but after installation I could'nt activate them, so I erased them again.
Where did you find yours (if I'm not undiscreet)?
The N97 in my opinion is in dire need of new themes.
Just one more question: after I installed a new theme would I still be able to use a pic of my little daughter as start screen/wallpaper for first page?

Oh I installed "Alon MP3 player and voice recorder" it seems OK and I think I will buy it. Have you ever tried it?