All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 16-06-2009, 09:25 AM

morpheus2702 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by P888 View Post
And, morpheus, though I know you gonna bash me too for this (since you seem to be bashing everyone and everything here), I still gotta say that it seems that you like the Iphone very very much and you couldn't seem to stand another person saying that despite the Iphone being what it is, that guy still likes the N97 over the Iphone. You an Iphone fanboy too? (Now, people, prepare for some fireworks from this guy aimed at me at point blank range...)

However, my point is this, so what if one likes the N97 more? So what if one likes the Iphone more? So what? If you don't like the N97, bash it by all means but no need to bash the author who wrote about it or the website which published it. Similarly, if you don't like the Iphone or whichever other phone, bash it by all means but don't go bashing the people who actually likes the Iphone or whichever other phone it is. Some like blondes and some like brunettes, its all very personal and very very subjective, just try to remember that!
P888, I'm not interested in bashing anyone, honestly!

The truth couldn't be further from the truth regarding the iPhone. I've played with it, like certain aspects of it, hate other aspects of it... but appreciate that it has changed the mobile market in an immense way.

As for the N97 - I've not read a full and objective review of one, I've not played with one apart from a prototype at CES and have no idea whether I'll like it or not. And that's my point - subjective opinion pieces are fine and dandy when they have an objective review to orbit around, but to exist in a vacuum, biased one way or another, then what is the point?

Last edited by morpheus2702; 16-06-2009 at 09:35 AM.

Old 16-06-2009, 09:53 AM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
Morpheus, you seem to have missed my own review (labelled as 'Part 1, but still fairly holistic) of the N97 here on AAS. ( http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/revie...mpressions.php ) How much more objective would you like us/me to be??

Old 16-06-2009, 10:10 AM

morpheus2702 is on a distinguished road
Not missed it at all Steve, reading it in eager anticipation of the completed 'formal' review.

Old 16-06-2009, 05:51 PM

lark is on a distinguished road
Things appear to have gotten quite opinionated after I finished up last night. Anyway, I hope the feedback was useful to an extent although I am not sure how exactly AAS can balance/differentiate fluffier "editorial" pieces from more objective news and reviews.

Rafe:
I do appreciate the new Nokia strategy to move more towards "services" (and I actually agree with it). But this is no excuse for shoddy execution of these services. Nokia has a small army of software engineers that are highly paid to deliver new applications. For example you mentioned the v3 beta of Nokia Maps. Apart from the price and service model Nokia Maps has lagged Tom-Tom and Garmin in user interface until version 3. It still is not as intuitive to use as Google Maps (in non-turn by turn mode). And Nokia Maps is probably one of the most polished apps that Nokia has released over the past 3 years!! To me, if I were the Nokia CTO this would simply not be good enough.

Old 17-06-2009, 09:26 AM

Jejoma is on a distinguished road
There has always been the "my phone is better than your phone" syndrome on mobile phone forums. Sometimes it is entertaining, occasionally just plain nasty.

However, things seem to have changed since the iPhone came on the scene and the vitriolitic hate for a phone that is not the one a poster thinks is the best has reached a very unpleasant high. Although usually the case, this is not just from iPhone fanboys.

The attitude now of many is that if a phone does not have a certain feature it should not only be criticised it should be trashed in the strongest possible fashion. This is regardless of whether or not others are quite happy to have a phone without that feature.

This is not just on AAS. Indeed there are a couple of forums I have stopped visiting because sensible discussion has all but totally changed to pure slagging off.

Or is it just me?

Old 03-07-2009, 03:34 AM

jjzzshen is on a distinguished road
http://www.liangdianup.com/clocks_1.htm

This clock projects the time, date, or temp on the wall or ceiling some people call
it a ceiling clock but I call it a digital projection clock. I got the black one because at the time that was the only color
they had. But now they have them in black and also in white.
Ads

Old 11-07-2009, 07:29 AM

Derrick115 is on a distinguished road
I used to love All About Symbian and it pains me to say it but it has now become an advertisment platform for Nokia. Thank God this isn't just me saying it, but as evidenced above, many others also.

Old 15-07-2009, 10:06 AM

Chrisp7 is on a distinguished road
Im in complete concurrence AAS has cant see the wood for the trees, all they see is Symbian in a positive light over everything else. Yes the negatives are pointed out but argued as not important. How much are Nokia paying you? I used to find this site at least balalnced.

Old 16-07-2009, 07:02 AM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
Why do you guys bother coming here? Just to insult the writers? Just to falsely accuse us? Nokia don't pay us a penny.