All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 24-11-2008, 08:31 PM

woodyear99 is on a distinguished road
Question Online file storage?

Hi

I am thinking about getting an E71 and am especially interested in using it to access excel spreadsheets. What I want to do is use files stored online with a service like box.net etc to edit them on the road when I need to very small changes each time using my albeit slow GPRS connection. I know Ovi offers something like this called Files but they charge for it. Can anyone recommend a simple solution where I can get my files from a server, edit them and then save them back there for retrieval on my PC? It would be great as well if it could auto synchronize files somehow.

Is there any provider such as box.net that offers a native symbian client for their service?

Thanks!

Old 24-11-2008, 09:09 PM

Out2L8 is on a distinguished road
docs.google.com

There is a mobile version of this site as well. It's not MS Excel, Word, et al, but you can very easily transfer to/from the MS products and the Google apps. Very clever service that can be reached from any where, including your cell. Play with and see what you think.

Old 24-11-2008, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Out2L8 View Post
docs.google.com

There is a mobile version of this site as well. It's not MS Excel, Word, et al, but you can very easily transfer to/from the MS products and the Google apps. Very clever service that can be reached from any where, including your cell. Play with and see what you think.
Will I be able to use my E71 to edit Google Apps spreadsheet documents? I thought I could only view them?

Old 25-11-2008, 05:53 AM

RadicalSatDude is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Workaround

How about natively editing docs (Full QuickOffice already there on E71s) then uploading via FTP, if you have FTP access to online storage. It's crude and simple, but effective.

SIC FTP Client
A free FTP Client for S60 3rd Edition Devices

http://www.symbian-freak.com/news/00...ftp_client.htm

Last edited by RadicalSatDude; 25-11-2008 at 05:57 AM.

Old 25-11-2008, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadicalSatDude View Post
How about natively editing docs (Full QuickOffice already there on E71s) then uploading via FTP, if you have FTP access to online storage. It's crude and simple, but effective.

SIC FTP Client
A free FTP Client for S60 3rd Edition Devices
Thanks for the response. Yeah I guess this may be the easiest route. It isn't automated but foolproof at least lol.

So the bundled e71 quickoffice is a full version application or a demo/crippled edition?
Ads

Old 25-11-2008, 08:15 AM

Ammar_Dento is on a distinguished road
Seasrch google for "gStorage"...free but still in alpha.

Old 25-11-2008, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodyear99 View Post
Thanks for the response. Yeah I guess this may be the easiest route. It isn't automated but foolproof at least lol.

So the bundled e71 quickoffice is a full version application or a demo/crippled edition?
Glad I could help...

Flagship Eseries devices carry non-trial full version QuickOffice suites i.e. viewing & editing, unlike my older E50 which also carries non-trial QuickOffice but allows viewing only (Which is good enough in most cases to be honest).

I forgot to mention, FTP transport isn't considerd secure. However I've noticed Windows Live Skydrive works over https, with free 5 Gigs of storage its not a bad deal, considering the secure connection you get, however you won't get end-to-end encryption over proxied browsers like Opera Mini and Skyfire browsers.

Last edited by RadicalSatDude; 25-11-2008 at 06:33 PM.

Old 25-11-2008, 10:21 PM

Does skydrive support the built in browser?

Hmm non trial software, that is one up against the blackberry bold I was looking at, do they give you upgrades as well? such as office 07 support?

Old 26-11-2008, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Does skydrive support the built in browser?

Hmm non trial software, that is one up against the blackberry bold I was looking at, do they give you upgrades as well? such as office 07 support?
Good question, I managed to securely sign in via Hotmail's page then navigate to Skydrive, create a new folder upload a file, but it wouldn't let me download files.

Be warned, the page looks terrible! Looks like a combo of S60 Browser's WebKit (rendering engine) and non standard MS site code, typical MS HTML code incompatibility. Opera Mobile might work better, but can't say without testing. Opera Mini might work, eventhough Opera is a very trust worthy company but the proxied browser comes in to play. I'll try it with Opera Mini later...

No idea about upgrades, I think QuickOffice can better answer that question, since their the developers.

Old 26-11-2008, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadicalSatDude View Post
Good question, I managed to securely sign in via Hotmail's page then navigate to Skydrive, create a new folder upload a file, but it wouldn't let me download files.

Be warned, the page looks terrible! Looks like a combo of S60 Browser's WebKit (rendering engine) and non standard MS site code, typical MS HTML code incompatibility. Opera Mobile might work better, but can't say without testing. Opera Mini might work, eventhough Opera is a very trust worthy company but the proxied browser comes in to play. I'll try it with Opera Mini later...

No idea about upgrades, I think QuickOffice can better answer that question, since their the developers.
Thanks!

I probably will go the ftp route, if I use a ftps (ssl) should that give me a lil more security. Hmm I wonder if that ftp program you mentioned will be able to do that will have to check.

Old 28-11-2008, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Thanks!

I probably will go the ftp route, if I use a ftps (ssl) should that give me a lil more security. Hmm I wonder if that ftp program you mentioned will be able to do that will have to check.
If SSL doesn't work, you could always password protect, compress (Zip etc) then upload your docs. Which should be done anyway, since you're hosting on a third party service, even it was personal hosting you can never the trust the InterWeb with private information.

All the best!