All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 18-08-2005, 03:31 PM

Ben Frain is on a distinguished road
Angry 6680 Contacts - just search the names in order dammit!! And other interface rants!

Is there a setting for this as it is incredibly frustrating...

When I bring up contacts and I want to search for a contact e.g. 'Simon' I type in 'S' and then 'I' and instead of getting all contacts that start 'SI' I actually get any contact that has 'SI' anywhere in their name.

I think that is incredibly stupid and would like to set it so it merely looks the names up as I am inputting them. Is this possible?

Secondly, is there a way to view contacts with their telephone number below the contact name?

I have recently switched from a Sony phone and I'm afraid that Nokia/Symbian has much to learn when it comes to quickly using a user interface. I mean if I want to look in my call register instead of just showing all the calls with a green arrow for outgoing a red for missed and a blue for received etc I have to go to calls , then select missed, received, dialled etc THEN i finallly get to see what I want. Seems like everything is 1-2 more steps than it needs to be! :(

Old 18-08-2005, 07:54 PM

skunk69 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Frain

When I bring up contacts and I want to search for a contact e.g. 'Simon' I type in 'S' and then 'I' and instead of getting all contacts that start 'SI' I actually get any contact that has 'SI' anywhere in their name.
Considering that names all get listed with last names first, a little flexibility is probably necessary.

Quote:
I think that is incredibly stupid and would like to set it so it merely looks the names up as I am inputting them. Is this possible?
Secondly, is there a way to view contacts with their telephone number below the contact name?
Not with the Symbian address book, but there may be other software which will do this.

Quote:
I have recently switched from a Sony phone and I'm afraid that Nokia/Symbian has much to learn when it comes to quickly using a user interface. I mean if I want to look in my call register instead of just showing all the calls with a green arrow for outgoing a red for missed and a blue for received etc I have to go to calls , then select missed, received, dialled etc THEN i finallly get to see what I want. Seems like everything is 1-2 more steps than it needs to be! :(
I agree. The really stupid bit is that you can only have one voice tag per contact, so if your contact has two phones (and who doesn't?) you have to make a separate contact entry.

Old 18-08-2005, 10:13 PM

zulee is on a distinguished road
Quote:

First about the contacts, when I search and type let's say Si I only get contacts that begin with Si!!

If you want to view your call register just press "Green" button and you're there (dialed numbers), press once left for recived and once more for mised calls! I don't understand how that isn't simple enough?! Press one button and your'e there, If it was any simpler it would be mind-controll!!

By the way, my SW is 2.04.15

Old 19-08-2005, 08:03 AM

apoc_reg is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by zulee
First about the contacts, when I search and type let's say Si I only get contacts that begin with Si!!

If you want to view your call register just press "Green" button and you're there (dialed numbers), press once left for recived and once more for mised calls! I don't understand how that isn't simple enough?! Press one button and your'e there, If it was any simpler it would be mind-controll!!

By the way, my SW is 2.04.15
I also only get contacts starting with SI if i type SI... and yeah the call register is pretty simple if you use it like that Zulee said

I guess like with any device its gettign to know the quick ways around rather than what the manual says!

Hope you come round to the symbian way of thinking.... after all you can do nothing cool like snes emulators etc on a sony!(as far as i know )

Firmware is 3.04.35

Last edited by apoc_reg; 19-08-2005 at 08:06 AM.

Old 19-08-2005, 09:41 AM

Gents, the point is, easy though that may seem it is still one step more than it needs to be.

Why not, as Sony, you just hold down the green button and you can see a list of all the calls with a different colour next to them depending on whether it is dialled, missed, received etc

Symbian always seems to have one more heirachy in the menu's than is actually needed.

Another example. I want to get the phone number of a contact I have. Now this is worse as I have the Orange software which is, to be blunt, toss.

On the 6680...

I scroll down the list on the front page
Click the main button to highlight contacts
Click again to enter contacts (or just hold down main button)
Type the first name in e.g. 'S'
The wrong contacts appear as it is all names that contain 'S' - genius!
Type in the next letter e.g. 'I' - I now see my contact but no number
Select that contact, the number now appears

On an Se (e.g. K700i)

Pull down on the navi key to bring up contacts
Type 'S'
I see my contact with the number below

See the difference?

Last edited by Ben Frain; 19-08-2005 at 09:47 AM.

Old 19-08-2005, 12:31 PM

Burcrim is on a distinguished road
I have every name in my contacts listed under last name only. So on my N6680:

Open contacts - assigned to right soft key
Type the first letter of whoever I'm looking for - in this case I type "s".

I then only get a list of all contacts that begin with "s". I do NOT get any other contacts that contain an "s" somewhere else in their name. If I were to then type "i" I would only see the contacts that start with "si".

How easy is that?!

If it's an often called number I will assign a speed dial number to them (2-9), or you may want to consider the SYSMAN application. This allows you to assign more contacts (speed dial, open that contact, send them a SMS, etc) and even applications to keys and key combinations. For example #0 now opens Opera, #5 opens a SMS message already addressed to the missus, and #1 opens a list of 5 contacts that I haven't assigned to the regular speed dial numbers.

As someone else already said it's just a matter of finding the appropriate short cuts or tricks not listed manual or getting certain apps that provide these alternate shortcuts.

Old 19-08-2005, 03:34 PM

apoc_reg is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Gents, the point is, easy though that may seem it is still one step more than it needs to be.

Why not, as Sony, you just hold down the green button and you can see a list of all the calls with a different colour next to them depending on whether it is dialled, missed, received etc

Symbian always seems to have one more heirachy in the menu's than is actually needed.

Another example. I want to get the phone number of a contact I have. Now this is worse as I have the Orange software which is, to be blunt, toss.

On the 6680...

I scroll down the list on the front page
Click the main button to highlight contacts
Click again to enter contacts (or just hold down main button)
Type the first name in e.g. 'S'
The wrong contacts appear as it is all names that contain 'S' - genius!
Type in the next letter e.g. 'I' - I now see my contact but no number
Select that contact, the number now appears

On an Se (e.g. K700i)

Pull down on the navi key to bring up contacts
Type 'S'
I see my contact with the number below

See the difference?
Hehe i too have orange homescreen

what a load of garbage!!! getting mine flashed to generic 3.04.37 tomorrow!

Old 19-08-2005, 07:05 PM

lovesign is on a distinguished road
Quote:

At the end of the day, you are getting used to a new UI from the one you are used to and that is always frustrating. I've been using Series60 phones since the 7650 and I can fly around the interface without any problems and at great speed. My work phone was just changed to a grotty little Siemens CX65 and I hate it, mainly because the UI is nothing like Series60. Now, it may be crap or it may be just me, but I am experiencing similar frustrations as yourself.

Series60 is immensley popular, and there is a simple reason for it. It's ease of use, power and flexibilty. Once you have gotten used to the UI, you will soon find things easier. Far from having anything to learn, Symbian is leading the way.

And if you really don't like it, why did you buy it ??

As for your issue with the contacts, set your contact list up to read First name first, as opposed to Last name first, if you look for people in that order or set a soft key up to access the call register from the front screen.

And no, you can't view the numbers under the names when browsing the contacts list.

Hope that helps,

Rob.

I Hate People Who Take Drugs.....

Customs Men For Example

V 22.0.110
(Custom Version 22.0.110.C01.01)
11-06-10
RM-505
Nokia N97

v 21.0.004
(Custom Version 21.0.004.209.03)
01-07-2010
RM-559
Nokia X6-00

6110 > 7110 > 6210i > 8210 > 7650 > 6600 > 6680 > N73 > N95 > 5800> N97 > X6

Old 22-08-2005, 09:02 AM

I got the 6680 so I could run Tom Tom 5.

I concede some the frustrations will just be the differing interface. However, I am sure MUCH of the problem is due to the stupid bloody Orange front page. It cuts the usability back of the main button SO much. For instance, on the front page I can't assign any direction to ANYTHING.

I have set the navi key to go to contacts when I pull down, calendar when I push right etc etc

However, thanks to the Orange software the only thing the navi key does on the front page is highlight one of their awful sodding menu's down the left.

I am going to try my hardest this week to find somewhere that will flash my phone to generic software as I am sure the interface will be much better to use with that.

Old 22-08-2005, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apoc_reg
Hehe i too have orange homescreen

what a load of garbage!!! getting mine flashed to generic 3.04.37 tomorrow!
Hey, where are you getting that done? Have you had to send it off to a Nokia Service Centre?
Ads

Old 23-08-2005, 05:43 PM

lovesign is on a distinguished road
I have heard much of this Orange front screen and am so glad I am with Vodafone !

I Hate People Who Take Drugs.....

Customs Men For Example

V 22.0.110
(Custom Version 22.0.110.C01.01)
11-06-10
RM-505
Nokia N97

v 21.0.004
(Custom Version 21.0.004.209.03)
01-07-2010
RM-559
Nokia X6-00

6110 > 7110 > 6210i > 8210 > 7650 > 6600 > 6680 > N73 > N95 > 5800> N97 > X6

Old 23-08-2005, 08:16 PM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
Might want to check out the Smart Dialer software as an alternative for Contacts retrieval.