All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 01-12-2004, 06:32 AM

BeyondConfused is on a distinguished road
Question 6600, PC-Suite, Infrared, connection drops

I have what I think is a rather interesting twist to what appears to be a common problem. My PC is running Windows XP, and I am connecting to my Nokia 6600 using an IR (infrared) port. The PC Suite is installed. When my PC is NOT connected to the internet (i.e. my network cable is unplugged), everything works perfectly fine: When I activate IR on the phone, the mrouter symbol indicates that a connection is established, and when I open the PC Suite, I can transfer, sync, and all that.

The problem is that when my PC has an internet connection (i.e. my PC is connected to my router, which again is connected to my cable modem), what happens when I try to activate the IR on the phone, the mrouter symbol on the traybar indicates that a connection is active for a second or so, but then it looses the connection. The Windows IR symbol indicates that it has a connection to the phone, but mrouter disconnects pretty much instantly. I have tried two different IR ports, and I have tried two different Nokia 660 phones (we are a two-phone family).

I can survive by disconnecting the ethernet cable each time I sync the phone, but it's kind of annoying. One thing: I am running Norton Personal Firewall 2004. I have not tried to disable the Firewall (while also being connected to the Internet). I've tried to search the Norton site for any clues, but not found anything.

Anybody know what's going on?
Ads

Old 01-12-2004, 10:32 PM
bmw740l

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondConfused
I have what I think is a rather interesting twist to what appears to be a common problem. My PC is running Windows XP, and I am connecting to my Nokia 6600 using an IR (infrared) port. The PC Suite is installed. When my PC is NOT connected to the internet (i.e. my network cable is unplugged), everything works perfectly fine: When I activate IR on the phone, the mrouter symbol indicates that a connection is established, and when I open the PC Suite, I can transfer, sync, and all that.

The problem is that when my PC has an internet connection (i.e. my PC is connected to my router, which again is connected to my cable modem), what happens when I try to activate the IR on the phone, the mrouter symbol on the traybar indicates that a connection is active for a second or so, but then it looses the connection. The Windows IR symbol indicates that it has a connection to the phone, but mrouter disconnects pretty much instantly. I have tried two different IR ports, and I have tried two different Nokia 660 phones (we are a two-phone family).

I can survive by disconnecting the ethernet cable each time I sync the phone, but it's kind of annoying. One thing: I am running Norton Personal Firewall 2004. I have not tried to disable the Firewall (while also being connected to the Internet). I've tried to search the Norton site for any clues, but not found anything.

Anybody know what's going on?
i have the same problem, do you use sime type of program that cleans your internet tracsks if so reboot you pc then try using pc suite

Old 02-12-2004, 01:32 AM

BeyondConfused is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw740l
i have the same problem, do you use sime type of program that cleans your internet tracsks if so reboot you pc then try using pc suite
Thanks for the reply. No, I don't use any program that cleans internet tracks -- the closest I get to something like that is the Norton Firewall. I have also tried to connect the phone right after rebooting, and that does not help.

Old 13-01-2008, 02:30 AM

lukenlogs is on a distinguished road
Talking fixed it

OK, even though these posts go back to 2004, in 2008, I've fixed a similar problem I was having. I have a Nokia 6102 phone w/ inrared connectivity. I had a sigma-tel iR USB dongle that I never had a problem with until I lost it. I bought another one, but a slightly diferent model. Plugged it in, enabled iR on the phone, and everything seemed allright, but then as soon as I fired up PC Suite, the connection would drop. Then within seconds it would reconnect, but then a couple seconds later (or whenever I tried to get into the phone) the connection would drop. So, I went to the iR dongle's properties in Windows Device Manager. I went to the advanced tab. There are three settings. Rather than be scientific about it and change one setting at a time, I changed all three at once, and one of them appears to have fixed the problem.

Infrared Transceiver Type: changed SigmaTel 4012 to SigmaTel 4000
Min. Turnaround time: changed 1.0ms to 5.0ms
Speed Enable: changed 4000000 to 115200

I bet it was the speed enable setting, but I'm not going to test my theory, as I still have to clear the pics' off of my GF's phone!

Hope this helps someone

Old 13-02-2013, 05:43 AM

Shtanto is on a distinguished road
Hi lukenlogs,

Thank you, yes that helped - eventually. It took a while, but it was a very worthwhile post in the end.

Now all I need is a stlye of unstoppable copier to bulldoze copy everything out of the phone (in RAW if needs be).

This will likely be my only post, but I thought I'd register to say thanks