All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 27-10-2008, 03:31 PM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
The secret behind 'zero shutter lag'

I can't be the only one wondering at the claims of one of the Smartphone Show's demos at exhibiting 'zero shutter lag' on a phone. Here, courtesy of the official show blog, are the details - looks like this could be in each of our phones within a year or two! Of special interest is that the developers claim that it's even possible to present photos from before you press the shutter button. Spooky or Super?

Read on in the full article.

Old 27-10-2008, 04:51 PM

Sergey Zak is on a distinguished road
Neat. Hopefully we'll see it in the new S60 Touch N-series flagman, somewhere next year?

Old 27-10-2008, 05:08 PM
Unregistered

Excellent stuff. Kudos to all the developers. As this is software lets see it deployed asap - I would certainly pay for such an app. Getting frames before you pressed the shutter is a great idea too.

BTW, the NSeries touch is rumoured to be announced and out before you expect - this year and early next respectively.

Old 27-10-2008, 05:25 PM
pipacs

Question Auto-focus?

Always had the impression the main part of shutter lag is caused by metering and auto-focus. The proposed solution doesn't help with either... I wonder if the camera they've demonstrated had AF enabled at all.

Old 27-10-2008, 06:01 PM

Reda EK is on a distinguished road
They solved the wrong problem

With all due respect, the solution addresses the 'wrong' lag
IMHO, the performance of my very old N95 from the moment I press the button to when the image has been processed is ok (thanks also to the image preview in latest firmwares). The lag is in start up times and time to focus.. I can already take a burst of 5 pics with minimum lag, so congrats for the achievement but it won't change my life unfortunately.

Old 27-10-2008, 06:21 PM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
Yeah I guess this is just one part of a camera performance, but we've all seen shutter lag and this technology takes a different approack to what we have now (streaming the current image at full res, rather than down-sampling).

I imagine this approach also speeds up start up time as it is more streamlined... but yes one imagine problems come from the physical limitations of getting hardware into small spaces/

Old 28-10-2008, 08:32 AM

Sergey Zak is on a distinguished road
@Unregistered: BTW I think those Touch N-series rumors are put out there by Nokia's competitors, to damage sales of 5800. No. Nokia is not that stupid to start selling touch-enabled N-series before XpressMusic sales have had it's time and got a pretty good downslide. They will improve the software, in the meantime. Maybe hardware, too (8Mpx camera?) That will not happen soon, mind you.
We've just recently had a new N-series lineup - N85, N78.
The sales of those are just taking off.

Old 28-10-2008, 09:26 AM

Unplugged is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reda EK View Post
With all due respect, the solution addresses the 'wrong' lag
IMHO, the performance of my very old N95 from the moment I press the button to when the image has been processed is ok (thanks also to the image preview in latest firmwares). The lag is in start up times and time to focus.. I can already take a burst of 5 pics with minimum lag, so congrats for the achievement but it won't change my life unfortunately.
No but the ability to buffer the last 20 or 30 frames at full res is a huge leap forward in camera technology. If you end up with a blurred photo or just missed then you can knock it back 5 or so frames and see which ones is the best. Try taking photos of say a kitten with an N95 and your find its more often than not quicker to take a video and cut the frames well this is the same concept except rather than VGA capturing and low res shots you have full fat resolution camera.

Add to the fact when taking closeups of things particually stuff with text the N95 auto focus often picks out a very sharp image and then focuses out slightly (which is very annoying) the ability to go back and pick say a naked eye "best" version as it was auto focusing would be another bonus.

Old 28-10-2008, 11:13 AM

marketsqhero is on a distinguished road
Quote:
If you end up with a blurred photo or just missed then you can knock it back 5 or so frames and see which ones is the best.
My 2 year old K800 could do that. It took 9 shots, the one when you pressed, 4 before you pressed and 4 after you pressed the shutter. Then you could pick which one had the shot you wanted. It was called BestPic!

Old 28-10-2008, 11:27 AM
Unregistered

@Sergey Zak - I think you misunderstand Nokia's lineup, and how to market multiple product lines. Touch is a feature, not a handset. The 5800 is a mid range phone. Your argument is completely invalidated by all the other features seen across multiple Nokia product lines. Not only will we see a high end, NSeries phone with touch sooner than you expect, but there is to be a touch enabled handset significantly cheaper than the 5800, early in the new year. Existing NSeries phone sales will not be cannibalised significantly because, as is currently the case, they have different features with different prices that appeal to different people.

Old 28-10-2008, 12:53 PM
Administrator

Tzer2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Nokia is not that stupid to start selling touch-enabled N-series before XpressMusic sales have had it's time and got a pretty good downslide.
As the unregistered poster above me said, Nokia's trying to do a range of touch devices at a range of prices. They've done it for years with their non-touch phones, they'll do it with the touch ones too.

They're aimed at different audiences so there's not really any need to worry about one affecting sales of another, different people will prefer different models.

One of the weaknesses of the iPhone range is that it isn't a range, there's only one model at a time. If you want something cheaper or higher spec or smaller, you're screwed because there's no choice.

Most manufacturers (Nokia, Samsung, S-E etc) let people choose what's best for them by offering many models instead of just one. That's probably not going to change with the growth of the touch phone market, and if Apple wants to move out of their niche they'll have to offer a range of alternative models too.

Old 28-10-2008, 03:42 PM

Unplugged is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by marketsqhero View Post
My 2 year old K800 could do that. It took 9 shots, the one when you pressed, 4 before you pressed and 4 after you pressed the shutter. Then you could pick which one had the shot you wanted. It was called BestPic!
Yeah ive heared of similar technology's but that combined with the instant capture should make some pretty decent tech. Effectively your be capturing say 6 seconds of video at high res. Depending on the framerate and buffer you should be able to go back the last 5 seconds or so.

Last edited by Unplugged; 28-10-2008 at 03:44 PM.