All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 12-04-2007, 03:58 PM

vark is on a distinguished road
lag what lag ?

Hello!

I finally got a GPS device, Holox 32 channel dooda and used it and the "lag" when a voice kicks in is negligible. It does stop the refresh of the map slightly sometimes but its hardly noticeable and does not detract from its use. The voice giving directions also plays when it should when I have had it running alongside a TomTom One albeit with a miniscule delay.

Doesnt help you much though does it ?

Old 12-04-2007, 07:56 PM

Mondeoturbo is on a distinguished road
Well, Tomtom have tried to help but they have no idea what the problem is, They are still looking into it

VARK...
What are you using, Memory card, Phone software, etc, etc?
RM-133
Kingston 1Gb memory card

Old 12-04-2007, 08:04 PM

vark is on a distinguished road
Nokia N73 ME latest firmware from Nokia website, 2gb Kingston MiniSD card, TT6 latest version with latest version of UK/Western Europe map.

Old 25-04-2007, 01:30 PM

Belistner is on a distinguished road
Hi,

Has there been any news on this problem? I am having the exact same problem. Map lags when voice is being played. Specs at bottom.

I had an idea, but being new to Symbian phones I'm not sure of how feasible it is. I have a pocket PC with TomTom 6, and I notice in the installation folder there is a folder for voices.

I am assuming the same folder would exist on the Symbian version. Perhaps putting the voice files here would perform better than the SD card? I cannot try it because I don't know how to access the file system on my phone. Most of it seems to be hidden? (like I say i'm new to this platform).

Phone:
V 3.0704.1.0.1
19-01-2007
RM-133

TomTom:
6.010 (7640)

Thanks for any help
Lewis

Old 30-04-2007, 09:38 AM

gadget_sa is on a distinguished road
I was just about to order an N73 from Vodafone, but reading this I'm now sceptical.

Have these issues been resolved?
I have TT on the TT miniSD card so won't be transferring from a DVD. Not sure if thats part of the problem???

However, I will be getting a larger card and copying the TT over to it?

Any news would be great!

N70
V2.0536.0.2
12-09-05
RM-84

Papyrus
FS Caller
FExplorer
Voice Translator
Resco Viewer
Bowling Master
MGS Mobile Pool
TomTom 5

Old 30-04-2007, 03:37 PM

spurry05 is on a distinguished road
Have these issues been resolved? no

I have TT on the TT miniSD card so won't be transferring from a DVD. Not sure if thats part of the problem??? no its not

However, I will be getting a larger card and copying the TT over to it? i have a 2gig and top speed and no thats not it

Any news would be great not realy sorry m8
Ads

Old 30-04-2007, 03:43 PM

gadget_sa is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the heads up....
It seems very strange that everyone (on here) is reporting the iisue all barr one person... ah well, guess it's one of those unknowns that will remain as such!!!

N70
V2.0536.0.2
12-09-05
RM-84

Papyrus
FS Caller
FExplorer
Voice Translator
Resco Viewer
Bowling Master
MGS Mobile Pool
TomTom 5

Old 15-05-2007, 11:25 PM

spark001uk is on a distinguished road
hi
i have an e70 with ttm 6.02 on it, and i get a terrible lag when driving, the map only seems to move every 4 or 5 seconds, which is pretty damn annoying! I've tried taking poi's off, voice, etc etc, but it's still the same. Looks like a problem with their software, could it be something to do with the higher resolution perhaps?

I also have ttm5 on my old 6260, which runs fine. Good old beast is that phone!!

Mark

Old 14-07-2008, 04:14 PM

MrSolution is on a distinguished road
N73 trouble with slow TomTom

To all the people who have been switching SD cards and trying but failing, this should be helpful to a lot of you.

I know a lot of you guys who have TT6 running on your Nokia's use the alert when near POI function. Using this will slow down this application dramatically, especially when you have checked off the option to only alert when POI is on route*. By slowing down i mean the problems like the voice lagging (after.... 2... miles....) or just the map proceeding slowly. So i suggest anyone to start by doing the following:

1. Open TT6 and press 5 to open up the Preferences* menu

2. Slide over to the second menu by pressing right on your phone, there you will see Change Volume* or Manage POI's*. Open the Manage POI* (by pressing 4) menu.

3. Now press 1 to get into the menu of warn when near POI. There you will have to check off all of the options. (I know, at first I didn't want to either but it will help you speed things up in the end!). If you're done, press cancel to go back, and then C to get to the main screen

4. You can check if it worked by pressing 6 now, and then 1 to calculate a route. Choose your home as starting address and how about choosing your girlfriend's home as destination because it was like 2 weeks since you've seen her anyway so... Now TT will calculate the route. Now press Detail* or the left menu button to get into Show route* menu. Now press 4 or Show routedemo and set the demo speed to 250%. You should see the difference.

Hopefully this was helpful to a lot of you!

* the exact name/menu/option can differ since i'm not using an english TT6

Old 09-08-2008, 06:14 PM

KenBruce is on a distinguished road
I noticed yesterday when I updated my speed camera POIs on my phone that the TT programme ran very slowly. Even the menus were slow to respond. Driving down the road it only updated the screen every few seconds. I disabled the speed camera POIs and warnings and it ran at the correct speed with smooth updates to the screen.

If I put it in Demo mode it took exactly four times longer to run the demo with the speed camera POIs enabled than it did without them.

I have two speed camera POI files. One from PGPSW for the UK ones and one from SCDB for the European ones. I disabled them in turn and found that the SCDB one was the culprit. It worked OK but enabling it either by having them show on the map, or by having the warning sounds switched on, made the programme run slowly.

I checked the size of both files and found they were much the same. PGPSW=445kb and SCDB=434kb.
I decided to load the SCDB into POIEdit and save it as a csv file like Garmin use and then reload it back into POIEdit and save it as a TT ov2 file again. In theory this should make no difference. But it did. The programme now ran as smooth as silk. Put the old file back and it was slow again. The 'processed' file was now 518kb as opposed to 434kb so that's 19% bigger. Why would a bigger file make it run more smoothly?

I repeated the treatment on the PGPSW file, not because it needed it but just out of interest. This time it reduced the file size to 416kb, a reduction of 6%. The programme performed normally with no change from the original.

I guess the structure of the SCDB one was different in some way to the PGPSW one and it contained some incompatibilty to TTN6.

So the point I'm making is, if your TTN6 runs slowly and you're advised to disable your POIs try the above treatment first. It might work!

I use both files on my 920 and it works perfectly without having to reprocess the files.

I know TTN6 is 'old', as are the maps but this may help someone.