All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 03-11-2009, 10:48 AM

malerocks is on a distinguished road
I guess most of us nokia users will have to stick to the mini.

Old 03-11-2009, 11:02 AM
Zurcociremer

Smile Looks good

Works fine on my N95 8GB, no memory problems. Most full-blown sites work perfectly!

Old 03-11-2009, 11:16 AM
Unregistered

Works fine on my 6710 Navigator. No memory issues whatsoever. Prefer the native browser though

Old 03-11-2009, 11:18 AM
Unregistered

Only used it for a few minutes and two things jump out at me...

(1) No T9 (at least for the search box)... But it's a native app - so why not?

(2) It doesn't detect the phone (N86 8MP) being being tilted from portrait to landscape... It has a landscape option in the preferences, but surely I don't need to change it manually - this isn't 2003

Old 03-11-2009, 11:18 AM

Hardeep1singh is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Go into the settings menu and Advanced...turn off in-line editing for the phones built in text input.
Thanks Bosambo, T9 works!!!!!

Old 03-11-2009, 11:25 AM

FaizDaDon is on a distinguished road
@ STEVE LITCHFIELD

I look forward to the article. Perhaps you can include a passage to the fact that there
really is nothing that takes advantage of the hardware!

Old 03-11-2009, 11:43 AM

Solnyshok is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by slitchfield View Post
OK, I give in, i8910 HD owners.... enough of the RAM bragging! Stuart Clark and I have a feature on your beloved device in the works..... watch this space!
cmon, my remark about RAM was adressed to N97 guys. And, btw, I also own N82 black, and have not seen outofmemory there either. But, Omnia is freaking fast compared to N82.

Old 03-11-2009, 11:44 AM

jApi NL is on a distinguished road
Smile E90 an OM 10

Looks great . Better grafics and lay-out than O.Mini . Not as fast , with Turbo on . The softkeys are just changed around on the inner screen . Press the "wrong" one e.g. Menu is indicated at the lower key , but press the UPPER ! etc.
When writing this post there is only a small interface , when inline editing is OFF . See attached screenshot . Here in the editing UI the softkeys are correctly functioning . Confusing !
The 2,4,5,6,8 - keys work well . The upload of the screenshot failed . Get the editing UI instead .
So used "Web" for the upload .....
Regards jApi NL
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SnF0078.jpg (22.6 KB, 10 views)

Old 03-11-2009, 11:56 AM
Unregistered

In addition to the no T9 issue, using a bluetooth keyboard (SU-8W) doesn't work either Only the number keys work. That and auto-rotation are the only bugs I could find so far.

Other than that, I love it! No memory problems on my N82. Rendering is exactly the same as the desktop version, even supporting @font-face, and it zips away on pages where the default S60 browser chokes.

If it wasn't for the lack of T9, I'd replace the S60 browser shorcut for Opera on my standby screen.

-Nico

Old 03-11-2009, 12:02 PM
Unregistered

I have had this for some months now

I hope this is an update to what I loaded to my 5800xm a few months back. I found that at times it locked up and the only recourse to get the program to shut down was to turn the phone off. I even tried letting it sit for 20 minutes and still nothing. I was able to still use my phone. I really like this and I will be wanting the full release when they tweek all the bugs out! It may be possible I had an Alpha release.

Old 03-11-2009, 12:13 PM

rafiii is on a distinguished road
Doesn't work with my N86 :(

Old 03-11-2009, 01:31 PM

snoFlake is on a distinguished road
@ Steve

Ooooopsie and this is why you want adequate (even surplus) meomory and processor specs. Looks like the N97's inadequate hardware has been even more exposed only 4 months after release as a flagship. No ammount of magical memory mapping and optimisation is going to magic up more (proper) hardware. Given that many must have been bought on 2yr contracts how bad is this alledged flagship gonna look in even six months time, not a good 500.
Ads

Old 03-11-2009, 01:52 PM
Unregistered

Smile No memory errors for me...

...but after playing with it for a while I switched my homepage shortcut back to Opera Mini. It does everything I need, and it's faster!

Although Opera Mobile is clearly a more "advanced" browser, for my mobile needs, I don't really see what it adds...

Old 03-11-2009, 02:02 PM
Unregistered

Good app, worked well, no memory errors, but it killed my BBC iPlayer so I had to remove it. iPlayer is more important to me.

Old 03-11-2009, 02:19 PM

ILoveGadgets is on a distinguished road
Works really well on my N96. No problems with portrait / landscape auto adjustment, T9 fine, no memory full issues (yet) and generally a reasonably nippy and well-thought-out browser.