All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 05-11-2007, 09:30 AM
Super Moderator

SwitchBlade is on a distinguished road
Too small, and too light?

Am I the only one feeling this with the E90. Ok I've been using the Communicator series for quite a while now, and yes the 9210 was large and heavy enough to be used to club whales to death, but I feel the size weight balance was quite right with the 9500, and the E90 just feels a touch anorexic. I'm finding myself patting pockets trying to make sure I've remembered it.
A weekly science fiction serial by me, written on a 9500/E90.

Old 05-11-2007, 11:27 AM

juwlz is on a distinguished road
You just can't please some people

I got my old E70 out yesterday and couldn't believe how light it was compared with my E90, which is quite heavy enough for me, thank you
I wear mine in a pouch on a belt clip, so I don't have any problem wondering whether I have it with me or not.

Julie

Old 05-11-2007, 04:00 PM
Super Moderator

Some comparison shots I took, it looks soooo small.

On paper it's only ~30 grams lighter than the 9210 but it feels more than that.

Old 05-11-2007, 04:28 PM

Omroth is on a distinguished road
Oh man that makes me miss my 9210 :(

Old 05-11-2007, 07:42 PM

swingerman is on a distinguished road
Hello,

Actually I am happy with the weight and size of my e90 compared to my 9500 before.

Everybody told me that the 9500 is to big and heavy. But after I explained it's features nobody could say anything else besides the size and weight.

So the e90's size is excellent, the weight is maybe a bit much. So only one left that the others can say: the weight.

Good feeling to have a pda wich has only one disadvantage the weight.

Cheers,

Old 06-11-2007, 09:25 PM

Tomahawk is on a distinguished road
You are missing the 9300(i) from your comparison. That I do find too small but after 9 mths using one, the 9500 felt huge (too big in fact) when I picked it up again. 9300 is OK in a pocket whereas the 9500 was no choice but a belt holster IMO. Not got e90 yet but will when the UK supply situation and firmware issues are all sorted out. That might prove to be a good compromise.

Old 06-11-2007, 09:36 PM
Super Moderator

I ignored the 9300 as it lacked camera and wifi, and the 9300i as I already had a 9500 that was fine. Similarly I never bothered with the 9210i as I didn't feel it a suitable update worth buying.
Ads

Old 08-11-2007, 07:49 AM

Tomahawk is on a distinguished road
I have the pleasure (dubious?) of having had 3a, 3mx, Revo, Revo+, 9210, 9210i, 9500 (x2), 9300i. Changes have either been a result of major technological development (eg Revo-9210) or expiry of the device for one reason or another - one got water ingress during floods in Bombay, etc, etc. Personally, I thought the camera on the 9500 wasn't worth the trouble and extra size/weight - the 9300i is the same or better in almost every respect except the keyboard.

e90 surely follows - I'm waiting until mechanical / supply / firmware issues are clearly sorted - there isn't enough info out there for me to be sure what's going on but there are very few units in the suupply chain right now and the provenance of those is unknown. There is also v. little info about what's going on - at least as far as UK supply is concerned.

How do you find e90 vs 9500?

Old 08-11-2007, 10:45 AM
Super Moderator

Apart from my gripe about the size, the keyboard seems to completely lack tactile feedback, but then I felt much the same when I got the 9500, so it either needs to wear in or I need to get used to it. I'm very impressed by the clarity of calls, far better than the 9500. Predictive text finally is nice, though why it's effects are felt when the lid is open is a bit daft. I miss the arrow keys as I tended to use them a lot more than the d-pad.

Oh, they've moved comma and full stop again, they are back where they were on the 9210, every annoying when my muscle memory is used to 3 years of a 9500. Another annoying thing is to copy a meeting in the calendar I seem to have to open the meeting up to edit it, I can't just copy the day and paste it elsewhere, or if I can it's not obvious how. Finally the office app won't open EPOC format documents, so you'll have to convert all your documents to text or word format, which seems a very very retarded move.

I guess I'd best point out some good bits. The chassis and hinge seem well built, so I'd not expect the cracking cable and loose hinge problems of the 9xxx series devices. The screen is stupidly clear even in daylight, or when wearing polarising sunglasses. The sort-of Active Desk desktop is quite nice, though actually naming the settings for it as Desk in the settings rather than idle screen or whatever is daft, hell having the settings for it in the global settings isn't the most logical thing. The camera is awesome for any phone camera I've seen, makes my Minolta Dimage 3.2MP camera feel a bit redundant.

Last edited by SwitchBlade; 08-11-2007 at 10:53 AM.

Old 08-11-2007, 11:46 AM

matt jones is on a distinguished road
I also have owned (and pretty much loved ) the 9110i ,9210i , 9300 ,9500 & now the e90
I seem to be part of a minority who see the e90 as a step forward ! - I honestly feel I have gained more than I have lost - Faster proccessor and up to date connectivity - , far better build quality than the 9500 , plus , finally a Memory card slot that doesn't involve taking the phone apart
I was very sceptical of s60 though TBH , up until the point that I tried an e61 ,that was the point that I realised that an S60 communicator really would be viable

Not sure if it is some kind of "sign" - But went to fire up the 9500 the other day , and it , unfortunately , is no longer with us - Poor little thing won't even charge now - strange after all those months of faithful , trouble free service - It's like it has lost its heart