All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 26-08-2007, 09:57 PM

greenham is on a distinguished road
The N95 and iphone comparison on ZDnet

Stupid matchup I wrote this talkback..

What a crazy matchup and very biased towards iphone I tought. I am a mac user through and through and will be for many years to come, I love their industrial design and elegant software; for that reason I have been very excited about the iphone and truth be known I will probably buy one when they come to the UK but.. I currently have an N95, you seem to have forgotten 1. TV out. 2. Video Recording. 3. MMS. 4. text to multiple recipients 5. bluetooth file transfer 6. Radio 7. Replaceable battery..... I took my N95 on holiday recently and used the GPS in the car to navigate, the camera (far superior to iphone) to take some pictures and video, I used Profimail (3rd party app not available on iphone) to download and read html email and truphone to make VOIP calls back home. As much as I really really want an iphone I have to ask what sacrifices I would have to make in useability and features just to achieve a nicer form factor and GUI??

Old 27-08-2007, 12:26 AM

pa49 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenham View Post
Stupid matchup I wrote this talkback..

What a crazy matchup and very biased towards iphone I tought. I am a mac user through and through and will be for many years to come, I love their industrial design and elegant software; for that reason I have been very excited about the iphone and truth be known I will probably buy one when they come to the UK but.. I currently have an N95, you seem to have forgotten 1. TV out. 2. Video Recording. 3. MMS. 4. text to multiple recipients 5. bluetooth file transfer 6. Radio 7. Replaceable battery..... I took my N95 on holiday recently and used the GPS in the car to navigate, the camera (far superior to iphone) to take some pictures and video, I used Profimail (3rd party app not available on iphone) to download and read html email and truphone to make VOIP calls back home. As much as I really really want an iphone I have to ask what sacrifices I would have to make in useability and features just to achieve a nicer form factor and GUI??
iPhone is iCandy.
N95 a progressive communication tool!

Old 27-08-2007, 01:07 AM

Darrell is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by pa49 View Post
iPhone is iCandy.
Very true. I'm glad I held off getting an iPhone. The iPhone was my dream gadget for so long, but when it was announced (features and all), I was quite disappointed. Only 2MP camera? No video calls?
So I got an N95 instead.

MP3/Portable video player? I have my iPod for that...
Bigger screen? I have my PSP for that...
But if I were to carry just one device... it would only be my N95.
Ads

Old 27-08-2007, 03:34 AM

canadian* is on a distinguished road
I recently had the opportunity to play with an iphone here in australia via and american collegue.

The iphone is a wonderful UI experience. couple of quirks with the screen keyboard but next update should fix that ....

If you could presently marry the N95 technology base under the iphone UI/touch screen you would have a very formidable device.

But while the present iphone UI/formfactor is nice;; it is ultimately just a nice way to navigate and interact with the technology devices. The N95 UI may be rustic in comparisin, but i would rather enjoy the superior technology base, 5MP camera, wifi G, 3G, etc . etc ... and live with the clunky access ...

Old 27-08-2007, 09:51 AM

pa49 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian* View Post
I recently had the opportunity to play with an iphone here in australia via and american collegue.

The iphone is a wonderful UI experience. couple of quirks with the screen keyboard but next update should fix that ....

If you could presently marry the N95 technology base under the iphone UI/touch screen you would have a very formidable device.

But while the present iphone UI/formfactor is nice;; it is ultimately just a nice way to navigate and interact with the technology devices. The N95 UI may be rustic in comparisin, but i would rather enjoy the superior technology base, 5MP camera, wifi G, 3G, etc . etc ... and live with the clunky access ...
A wonderful UI experience eh?
My fingers are so fat and have some weird resistive property that I can't use any i product and I have trouble with a lot of the latest laptop touch pads as well.
With an N95 we all have the same experience

Old 27-08-2007, 10:09 AM

ironass is on a distinguished road
I have a friend who has been banging on about the iphone since Steve Job's announced it in January. He's a big Mac fanboy and whenever anyone pulled out a mobile phone he would tell them how the Jesusphone, sorry, iphone would make it obsolete.
Well the iphone has been released and the cat's out of the bagas they say. I could go on about it's shortcomings, no 3G, removable battery etc. but I tried to show what the iphone would mean to my friends phone usage.
He mainly sends multiple joke texts to about 20 people at a time, as indeed I do. So I made a comparision of what the N95, and most other phones, can do as opposed to the iphone. You decide!

Sending SMS (text) messages.

I'm not going into MMS (picture) messages because the iphone just doesn't have the facility to send them. A glaring omission on a camera phone I would have thought.
You could of course use the iphone's Bluetooth to send photo's but it only sync's with it's headset and not other mobiles, stereo headsets or computers. Why?
I have to say that a lot of my texts are jokes and when I receive one I select FORWARD and then select reciepiants and then my group for jokes. I hit send and about 20+ texts go out. Total time for me, you and the majority of mobile phone users, about 10 seconds.
Unfortunately the iphone has neither text forwarding, cut and paste, nor multiple receipiants. So, when you receive a joke text you first get.......... a pencil and paper, then write it down, then go to new text message and type it in on the touchscreen QWERTY keypad and then you select a receipiant and send it off. Then you select new blank text message and type it all in again on the touchscreen QWERTY keypad and then you select a receipiant and send it off. Repeat this procedure another 18 times and it's done. Estimated time 1.5 - 2 hours.
You could of course send the joke text as an email, this does allow you to send to multiple receipiants. However, as there is no cut and paste feature on the iphone you will still need your pencil and paper to write it down and then select new email and type it in on the touchscreen QWERTY keypad and then go to all your email contacts (hard luck to those without email access) and send it off on the very slow EDGE network, unless you're lucky enough to be in a WiFi hotspot. You could then ring them individually and tell them to check their email if you like. Estimated time 10 minutes + phone calls.
If you don't believe me, read this.

http://iphone.macworld.com/2007/08/o..._safari_an.php

All this from a phone that is "a revolutionary and magical product that is literally five years ahead of any other mobile phone." to quote Steve Job's of Apple.

Old 27-08-2007, 01:49 PM

chriswatts is on a distinguished road
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by pa49 View Post
iPhone is iCandy.
Let's do the timewarp again!

Yes, I accidentally went into Rockyhorror mode there since most other reviews agree that the iphone is clearly stuck in a timewarp. You've got to wonder what the hell Apple were thinking of when they produced basically a 2G phone when their competitors where coming out with 3G! Also sticking a 2 meg camera in it was basically suicide, when I look for a new phone I look to upgrade, this clearly compared to the N95 with 5 meg and other phones with 3 meg was surely a bad decision.

Yes the iphone is iCandy and is clearly marketed at those who clearly choose a product on hype instead of features and who probably went straightout and purchased a ipod before realising how cr*p they were.

Unfortunately the iphone is four years too late and choosing a iphone is like choosing dialup over broadband!