All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 19-09-2008, 09:32 PM
Unregistered

I agree with Viipotaja. This is a forum. We should all be able to say exactly what we please regarding the subject being discussed, so long as its not rude or derogatory. As much as I don't like the iPhone (or anything Mac, for that matter) it did and, still does, shake up the mobile world with its ingenious useability. What we have in Symbian is ingenious functionality. I cant see that its bad to discuss the iPhone and compare to it and hopefully learn as much as we can from it and work our way slowly to creating the perfect phone. Remember that these online forums all play their part in helping to form the phones of tomorrow

Old 20-09-2008, 01:33 AM
Hirudin

I actually downloaded this calculator (or something that looks exactly like this one) a couple weeks ago... I like it a lot more than the default calculator, it's also a little better than Calcium.

A gripe I have with it is that it's slow to start (maybe that's fixed in this version?).

As an n95-3 owner I must say that every now and then I think about how cool the iPhone is, but then I remember that I'd have to install iTunes to load apps, I'd have to buy songs I wanted to use for ringtones twice (do they still do this?), if I decided to put an app on the phone that Apple later decided they didn't like they could remove it from my phone without my permission, the fact that by buying an iPhone I'd be supporting Apple (a company that is more anti-competitive than Microsoft, infects media with more DRM than the MPAA, inflates their computer prices higher than Alienware, and participates in "planned obsolescence" more than the auto industry).

That said, there's one fundamental difference between phone-keypad based calculators and calculators programmed for a touch screen: They can have the keys in the right order... The top left key on a calculator is the "7", the top left on a phone is the "1".

Old 20-09-2008, 05:58 AM

pachi is on a distinguished road
Why is the app .jar instead of .sisx?
N6630
SEw800
SEw810
SEk790a
N95 (current)

Old 20-09-2008, 07:40 AM

sjhong is on a distinguished road
What's worse, iPhone fans or iPhone haters?

According to Tzer2, iPhone fans like to insert the iPhone in every discussion and love to tell everybody that their phone is better than the others.

Well, I think iPhone haters aren't much better. They see iPhone fanaticism everywhere and even a single mention to that phone sparks rants and rants on how the iPhone is limited in its funcionality and how Steve Jobs is part of the axis of evil.

And the mob mentality is amazing... Hardeep1singh contributes with this pearl: "...nothing but some stupid americans who, till now, never knew smartphones existed and now feel that their awfully restricted device is something out of this world." Is it just me or was it highly offensive?

I thought we, S60 users, were smarter than this. Apparently I was wrong.

Old 20-09-2008, 07:45 AM
Unregistered

Java, not a native symbian app! What on earth are Nokia playing at??

There are much better free java calculators around than this rather feature-limited offering. Give us something native, Nokia, and stop wasting our time (and free memory) ...

Old 20-09-2008, 08:50 AM
Unregistered

surprisingly how a calcutator application can start a mobile war.(boys will be boys).

Old 20-09-2008, 08:53 PM
Unregistered

The iPhone is for brainwashed Mactards and fashion lemmings.

Old 20-09-2008, 09:38 PM

buster is on a distinguished road
Quote:
The iPhone is for brainwashed Mactards and fashion lemmings.
That's rubbish as well. The iPhone is a very nice phone, if you like the things it can do and don't mind the things it can't do. I would not criticise anyone for buying one, and anyone who does so is probably very stupid and narrow-minded (especially if they don't have the b*lls to use their real name when posting).

However, the original remark that "it's so much better using a calculator on an iPhone" was pointless and completely irrelevant....

Old 21-09-2008, 06:13 AM

Hardeep1singh is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Is it just me or was it highly offensive?
Its just you.

What has iphone got to do with a post about a simple new version of calculator, released by Nokia Beta Labs?

If these mactards continue to stick their nose at places it doesn't belong, they deserve a statement like that. Moreover I just stated a fact, the device is awfully restricted just like a Mac.

I'm a PC :-P

and a Symbian too. :-D

Old 21-09-2008, 06:41 AM

sjhong is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardeep1singh View Post
Its just you.

What has iphone got to do with a post about a simple new version of calculator, released by Nokia Beta Labs?

If these mactards continue to stick their nose at places it doesn't belong, they deserve a statement like that. Moreover I just stated a fact, the device is awfully restricted just like a Mac.

I'm a PC :-P

and a Symbian too. :-D
What if I said that people who don't eat beef are nothing but stupid indians who think what they eat is food, would that be offensive?

Don't be so narrow minded and respect other people's choices.
Ads

Old 21-09-2008, 08:50 AM

Hardeep1singh is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Don't be so narrow minded and respect other people's choices.
I respect their choice, that's why I don't go around lurking in every mac related forum and post "Nigel Clifford is God" on every chance I get. Unfortunately, mactards don't reciprocate this behaviour.

Having a choice is OK but I can't let them shove it right down my throat on every chance they get.

Old 21-09-2008, 12:04 PM
Unregistered

Hardeep1singh: interesting what you've said considering the fact that every other day there is an iPhone vs. S60 comparison article on AllAboutSymbian. Would you be as kind as to explain me what's wrong with the calculator comparison?

Back to the subject, I use this on my iPhone (because I'm a mactard):
http://www.iphone-calc.com/wp/
It't free and I wanted a calc like this for my S60.

Old 21-09-2008, 01:34 PM

How is this "back to the subject", given that the subject was "a new version of the S60 calculator"? Discussing a calculator for a completely different device/platform is about as off-topic as you can get...

Old 21-09-2008, 01:58 PM
Unregistered

buster: the subject is: 'Calculator continues to evolve'
I guess a graphical/scientific addon would be evolution.

Old 21-09-2008, 05:55 PM

I think you'll find that the "Calculator" in the subject line is short for "S60 Calculator" and not intended to represent any old calculator app for any random device/platform...