Old 03-05-2007, 02:25 PM

HoundDog is on a distinguished road
Well...it's the standard usb plug!

Old 03-05-2007, 02:31 PM

Taomyn is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoundDog View Post
They already do......Nokia CA-100
No that's just a standard male USB to 2mm as BanziBarn has mentioned.

What I would like is a converter with a female mini-usb on one end, and the 2mm jack on the other. I have two mini-usb chargers left over from my old QTEK 9100 (one UK one EU) and I also have another that I currently charge my Belikin Skype phone with. It could look something similar to the 3.5mm to 2mm one you can also get, but the with 3.5mm replaced by a mini-usb.

Old 03-05-2007, 02:52 PM

HoundDog is on a distinguished road
I get what you're saying now, sorry bit of a thick moment!!
Ads

Old 03-05-2007, 09:25 PM

dez_borders is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by seki View Post
I got a car charger and a second one for my office!

I'm seriously looking @ some of these "new" 1100mAh batteries .. its a step up .. still really needs a 1500mAh battery.
Just a word of advice, if the "new" 1100mAh batteries are listed on eBay there's a 99.9% change they are cheap far-east rubbish that will not power a mobile as long as a genuine standard nokia battery, and will also probably die completely after about 6 months heavy use (i.e. after eBay and PayPal's disputes period expires!)

Old 04-05-2007, 10:16 AM

BanziBarn is on a distinguished road
Update in the USB to normal power socket lead.

The person who sits next to me on at work has just received his.

His works fine in my phone so I think I may just have a dodgy lead.

So maybe yesterday when I put his battery in my phone and my charger then worked may have been coincidence.

Old 04-05-2007, 10:52 AM

steffi is on a distinguished road
I have a question about the CA-100 since I bought one. Is there any electrical circuit in the housing? I'd feel a lot better have paid what I did if I knew it was just pin to pin wiring in there.

Old 04-05-2007, 12:23 PM

How much is the CA-100? I can't see any there being anything in this at all, it's too small.

Mine was 2 and TBH is probably about what it's worth - probably only cost 20p to make.

Old 04-05-2007, 02:00 PM

steffi is on a distinguished road
You didn't pay 2 pounds for the CA-100 but probably a retractable USB charger?

CA-100 sells for more than 2 pounds

Old 04-05-2007, 02:26 PM

Oh yeah, sorry, its not a nokia propper item - but from the looks of it, it is pretty much the same.

Still can't really work out why it works ok sometimes and not others. Been working fine all afternoon. Maybe a loose connection but I can't now stop it working no matter how much I wiggle it.

Been loads of threads around the internet though about the "not charging" message that Nokia phones like to give out - so its not just me. But its just annoying when you can't recreate a problem, or when the problem is inconsistant.

Last edited by BanziBarn; 04-05-2007 at 02:28 PM.

Old 04-05-2007, 03:13 PM

pa49 is on a distinguished road
Just a few thoughts on the above!
USB standard sets 500mah as the min available current draw from the port. If you have more than one port they all "should" give min of 500mah. So two ports should provide 1000mah max! Many manufacturers don't implement this and so if you use up your ports each one could suffer a drop in current available and this would definately give you the not charging message. My laptop has three ports and the phone will still charge from "dead". Your best bet is to try it with only one USB device attached and then see what happens. You could be lucky! Additionaly external hubs usually have the option of an external power supply and if you use one then you should be able to charge no problem.
The Nokia wall charger is rated at 800mah so this is the min required to start the charge from flat.
If you go to Asda they have a pack for nokias which includes a car charger (old type larger plug) hands free ear piece and a converter from old to new 2mm plug. The quality is very iffy and the two that I have bought have both suffered from broken wires in the converter. However both the female old style socket on one end and the 2mm plug on the other end are removable and reusable! I have used the coiled lead from the car charger and made a new longer lead which I then use to charge the phone from the USB ports by way of a USB to old style nokia male plug. This means I can use all my older nokia chargers as well as laptop, PC, wall (Belkin adapter) and car (again Belkin) USB outputs.
I also use a PowerPal charger which works well and a battery pack which takes 4 AAA batteries for emergencies. I got the later from a market for 2.
All my power adapters have the same output plug and all I need is the made up converter for use and charging anywhere.

Old 04-05-2007, 03:47 PM

Very interesting.

What I can't work out is how the charger doesn't work on my phone, but will on someone elses. It will then work on my phone with the other persons battery installed (his battery wasn't as empty as mine).

Then, the next day it won't charge mine even though the battery is nearly full.

Then, while my collegue is happlily charging his phone from his USB socket using his charger (which is the same as mine) I swap my charger with his and then his phone doesn't charge, and it doesn't even say "not charging" (excluding the possability of the level of current from the usb socket or the level of existing charge in the battery being the issue).

Then this afternoon my phone with my battery and my charger is working fine!

Beats me!

Old 08-05-2007, 01:54 PM

Just got my 2 mains charger. Seems quite well made.

It's working but the transformer says it's only 500ma, so the same as a USB socket.

My phone was almost full when I connected it so whether it will charge the phone when the battery is more empty I'll have to find out tomorrow.