All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 31-10-2007, 06:46 PM

IainsTheName is on a distinguished road
Thumbs down Browser going to Wap Pages automatically

Hey all, just a quick question for the experts on here:

I frequently go to community sites from my N95, and normally it loads the pages no bother and I can browse till my heart's content, but recently one such site has created a "Mobile version" of it's site, and now my internal browser automatically directs me to this scaled down version every time, i've tried going through Google, clearing the cache and trying again but to no avail, will using Opera help?

Is there any way around the website knowing i'm using a mobile device and forcing me to use there "Helpful" wap site instead??

Any feedback will be appreciated, cheers in advance guys/gals :-D

Old 31-10-2007, 06:51 PM

lightbulb is on a distinguished road
Opera may help, I know that Facebook thinks Opera Mobile is Internet Explorer 6, so that may avoid you being shown the mobile page as with the built in browser.

Old 31-10-2007, 06:57 PM

KoyesRiko is on a distinguished road
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 5.0; Series60/2.6 Nokia6630/3.45.111 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1))

Quote:
Originally Posted by IainsTheName

I frequently go to community sites from my N95, and normally it loads the pages no bother and I can browse till my heart's content, but recently one such site has created a "Mobile version" of it's site, and now my internal browser automatically directs me to this scaled down version every time, i've tried going through Google, clearing the cache and trying again but to no avail, will using Opera help?

Is there any way around the website knowing i'm using a mobile device and forcing me to use there "Helpful" wap site instead??

Koyes

Old 31-10-2007, 06:58 PM

KoyesRiko is on a distinguished road
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 5.0; Series60/2.6 Nokia6630/3.45.111 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1))

Quote:
Originally Posted by IainsTheName

Koyes

Old 31-10-2007, 08:34 PM

Mithent is on a distinguished road
The issue is that the S60 browser mentions 'Nokia' in its user agent, and websites trying to sniff what type of browser you're using assume that anyone with a 'Nokia' has a very basic browser and sends you to the mobile pages. Opera Mini is probably your best bet, as I don't think you can change the user agent. You could also always ask whoever runs the site to offer a link to a full version on the mobile pages?