All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > Symbian Based Devices > S60 (Series 60) > Nokia N95 and N95 8GB

Old 03-04-2007, 10:35 PM

autopilot is on a distinguished road
Playing media files over home network (UPnP) on N95 - HELP!

Hi there, this is my first post of hopefully many.

I have TVersity uPnP server running on my PC. I can connect to it using my N95 over WiFi fine. When i chose a file from my PC while i am in the Gallery it wont play it. I just get a message saying "Select Device:" and an empty list.

I have now installed the server that came on the Nokia CD, and when i do the same with that i get the "Select Device:" With the home server listed. When i choose that the music is played on my PC, not the phone!

How do i play the files so that i can listen to them on my phone!?

Thanks

Old 03-04-2007, 11:50 PM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
You cant, you need to copy the file to the phone first.

The N95 does not act as a playback enabled server - only as a sharing server or client.

I think, I'm not UPnP expert!

Old 04-04-2007, 09:40 AM
Banned

Nigma is on a distinguished road
Rafe is correct. You cannot stream media to the N95, you can only transfer files through UPNP to the device, and then play them.

You can use the N95 to stream media from say a PC to another UPNP device (such as a Netgear media streamer). You select the source on the N95, then select the file to play, and then select the device you want to stream that file to.

Old 04-04-2007, 04:40 PM

Wow, that's seriously disappointing.

Is there any software that allows me to do this? The is loads for Windows Mobile, so i wont be getting rip of my MDA yet. I know Windows Mobile software is always more feature rich, but there must be something?

Old 04-04-2007, 04:55 PM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
There's nothing I know of (but I think it would make a good third party piece of software). Incidentally the Pocket PC implementations download the file and then play it (I think) - I assume it deletes the file afterwards.

Its kind of a shame Nokia didn't automate this functionality with or as an addition the copy to device function, There's no technical reason why it wouldn't work.

Old 04-04-2007, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafe View Post
Incidentally the Pocket PC implementations download the file and then play it (I think) - I assume it deletes the file
No they don't. They are played live off the network. Of course there is some caching, but thats a different matter.

Conduits Pocket Player connects to any uPnP server and plays the files.

Otherwise, you use something like Resco File Explorer to "map" a network drive you any folder/hardrive on your network. The network drive then appears to the phone as a local drive that the phone and then view and play the files.

Don't get me wrong, i love my N95. It's a great phone and suits less technically minded people better than a pocket PC. But the more and more i look at this it becomes clear how far ahead windows mobile is.

Shame, there is so much power there to be harnessed.

Old 04-04-2007, 05:13 PM

N/A is on a distinguished road
You could also use something like http://www.orb.com/

Old 04-04-2007, 06:03 PM
Founder / Chief

Interesting I wasn't aware that was how Pocket Player worked I just made the assumption based on experience with another program.

You could the SMB client program for the N95 - not sure whether it would work though for music.

Old 06-04-2007, 07:36 AM

marke is on a distinguished road
I agree with N/A that you can use orb to stream music and video to your mobile from your PC within your home network using upnp. You have to access the files via the web browser, but it worked for me on my N80. Took some blood, sweat and tears though!

Old 06-04-2007, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marke View Post
I agree with N/A that you can use orb to stream music and video to your mobile from your PC within your home network using upnp. You have to access the files via the web browser, but it worked for me on my N80. Took some blood, sweat and tears though!
Tell me more please, i use TVersity uPNP server which allows me to view my files in a webbrowser, how can you get them to play? Clicking on them just trys to download them.
Ads

Old 07-04-2007, 07:09 AM

marke is on a distinguished road
I am not familiar with TVersity but with ORB when you click on the link to your audio file, it will open up real player and stream the music. It does say loading first, but it does stream it as I can see this from the router. With using direct stream via UPnP configured in ORB it will stream directly from your PC to your N95 without going via the ORB servers over the internet, thus giving you better quality. I have jst set it up on my N95 but can't get it wotking with my itunes music yet, all other music is OK.

Old 19-04-2007, 04:28 PM

ientity is on a distinguished road
i have a problem that home network and orb makes the whole phone crash, allthought i have an93 which i find pretty simular to n95. The real player applicaton just kills the phone. or if i just press home network in gallery also kills the phone.

Is it possible to reinstall ? Other movie files works flawless.

Old 26-12-2007, 01:03 AM

Menneisyys is on a distinguished road
My UPnP Bible has been published in the meantime (and will soon publish my Orb & other streaming Bible); see http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/forum...ad.php?t=68115

Old 28-05-2008, 03:57 PM

stakker is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by autopilot View Post
Hi there, this is my first post of hopefully many.

I have TVersity uPnP server running on my PC. I can connect to it using my N95 over WiFi fine. When i chose a file from my PC while i am in the Gallery it wont play it. I just get a message saying "Select Device:" and an empty list.

I have now installed the server that came on the Nokia CD, and when i do the same with that i get the "Select Device:" With the home server listed. When i choose that the music is played on my PC, not the phone!

How do i play the files so that i can listen to them on my phone!?

Thanks
I don't know if it has been mentioned before, but most people on this thread are wrong.

You CAN playback on your phone, you just need to select the tune you want to hear, press options, select play, then you will have an option to play on 'the device' or 'home media'.

Select 'the device' and you will have a short delay before playing back over the network.

I have used it a number of times but it does seem to drop the connection for a split second which stops playback.

Old 29-05-2008, 06:36 PM

djneils98 is on a distinguished road
i too can 'stream' music files from my pc to my n95 using the built in software. I have azureus running on the pc and my n95 can see and play anything in my azureus download folder