All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 06-07-2010, 02:42 PM

clonmult is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodycount View Post
I own a N97.
And I have a bluetooth headset.
Is it possible to use the heart rate monitor and a headset (both bluetooth)?
Yup. Most devices with bluetooth v2 and later will handle a few separate bluetooth connections without any problems - I had the N73 streaming audio to a bluetooth headset whilst having a bluetooth GPS dongle connected.

Old 06-07-2010, 02:49 PM

rlaskey is on a distinguished road
Personally, what I'd really like for Sports Tracker would be the option to define some new activities with the GPS _disabled_.

#1: as a simple pedometer. I'd like to know how many steps I've made through the day, without it keeping my GPS position. In this case, I don't particularly need the heart rate monitor.

#2: as a dedicated heart rate device. For static exercise (i.e., elliptical machine, strength training), I'd really like to have a record of my heart rate. It'd tell me how hard I'm working, where my limits are, etc. Having the option of adding other meta-data into the exercise would be great, though not necessary.

These two use cases would, I think, appeal to a much wider audience. I use Sports Tracker for walking, and it's a terrific app. I've thought about the heart rate monitor, and may still grab it .. though the addition of a "disable GPS" option would speed me towards the purchase.
Ads

Old 06-07-2010, 03:42 PM

Insane Reindeer is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlaskey View Post
Personally, what I'd really like for Sports Tracker would be the option to define some new activities with the GPS _disabled_.

#1: as a simple pedometer. I'd like to know how many steps I've made through the day, without it keeping my GPS position. In this case, I don't particularly need the heart rate monitor.
Hello. Well as point number one is already catered for by Nokia themselves with this: Nokia Step Counter I don't think the folks at STT will be too eager to have a go at that!

As for your second point, yes that is interesting. When I get my belt I will test a few settings and see what I can do.

Old 06-07-2010, 06:49 PM
Unregistered

Locking problems

John the Monkey, megapack162

Thanks for the tips. It got me to check the settings, where I've realized I've left the AGPS switched off after holiday abroad. I'll check when I ride next, and if that doesn't help, I'll try the wifi setting.

One other observation: new sports tracker lets you import the uploaded workouts, but they request the login details. This means they have your Ovi login, right? I've tried both pre-Ovi login sports tracker login and Ovi one. Wonder what gets imported. Also what if one keeps uploading tracks after import was requested. Guess I should ask the new team...

Wonderful app though. Only feature I'm missing is some kind editing. I always forget to stop logging at the end of the ride - too exhausted to think of that. Continued logging screws off the stats, though. It would be nice to cut off the extra time.

Old 06-07-2010, 07:00 PM

rlaskey is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane Reindeer View Post
Hello. Well as point number one is already catered for by Nokia themselves with this: Nokia Step Counter I don't think the folks at STT will be too eager to have a go at that!

As for your second point, yes that is interesting. When I get my belt I will test a few settings and see what I can do.
Right; the Nokia Step Counter is definitely what I had in mind re: #1. It's a good app, and I wish it were refreshed in the same way of this new Sports Tracker. Touch support is lacking in the Nokia version, and it'd be great to integrate the data from the step counter with the other workout data.

What might be particularly nice would be to have Sports Tracker constantly running: in a sleep-like mode, it would emulate the Nokia Step Counter. When you start a work out, it could then transition into recording that other data, set to the controls that you'd like. I'm not sure how difficult that'd be in terms of programming, though again it may attract a much wider audience.

Old 06-07-2010, 08:33 PM

Arcade is on a distinguished road
Question

Questions:

1. Can you use all the features of Sports Tracker with a phone without an accelerometer like a E71 ?

2. Does it use the same preloaded maps as Ovi Maps or is there some other method ?

Very Nice Article...

Old 06-07-2010, 08:52 PM

germcevoy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcade View Post
Questions:

1. Can you use all the features of Sports Tracker with a phone without an accelerometer like a E71 ?

2. Does it use the same preloaded maps as Ovi Maps or is there some other method ?

Very Nice Article...
I ran Sports Tracker on the E71 without a problem. Not sure how it calculates the amount of steps though without the accelerometer

2. The maps are not Ovi maps and are not preloaded either so a data connection is required. Maps are by OpenStreetMap

Old 08-07-2010, 09:40 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by megapack162 View Post
Hi Aidan,

This is what I use to keep my open N95-1 / N86 dry whilst running, it has a fully transparent front which remains soft to the touch (even when wet or snowy) so button presses are as easy as holding it in your hand (touch screens should be the same), it's guaranteed to be watertight at depths of up to 15 feet deep and is bouyant.

I use it to train whether it's sunny, raining or snowing and do cross country that involves ponds, ditches or streams that can be up to 3 feet deep.
I found their website after drowning my N95-1 in muddy ditch water (it was strapped to my upper arm in an i-pod touch case and open to the elements).

Well worth the 30.

Cheers,

Alun.
hi alun,

thanks for the link. certainly looks like what i've been after. do the case fixtures allow for you to strap your phone to your wrist?

cheers

aidan

Old 08-07-2010, 03:55 PM

megapack162 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
hi alun,

thanks for the link. certainly looks like what i've been after. do the case fixtures allow for you to strap your phone to your wrist?

cheers

aidan
Hi Aidan,

The supplied elasticated velcro strap is pretty long, I shortened mine off to fit my scrawny arms by doubling a portion of it up and holding it in place with safety pins.

No reason why it can't be shortened enough to fit snugly on your wrist.

Cheers,

Alun.

Old 08-07-2010, 08:57 PM
Unregistered

Locking problems

tried again today. switched on agps. no data recorded during the whole journey when track was started in an underground parking with no signal using new tracker. Repeated the pattern on the way back using the old tracker - got the journey recorded fine.

I do have the wifi enabled in positioning settings, but it that is the problem it is only happening for the new tracker.

Old 23-08-2010, 05:28 PM

Rogue_trooper is on a distinguished road
crashes on start or no gps lock

I'm running v3.5 on a N86 and seem to have one of two options

1. I launch inside & I am unable to get gps lock (Icon stays orange for the whole 40min cycle ride), but can start a workout and record time only

2. I launch outside & get a gps lock but as soon as I click start the software crashes - when I reopen it says its recovering a workout after a crash and I have a 0seconds workout recorded

neither really work for me ;-)

I've tried:
disabling the wi-fi assist on gps (didn't help)
resetting the phone (#*7780*)
uninstalling reinstalling the software

the old nokia version (2.05) does work (but doesn't have the upload feature from the phone & the maps don't seem to download for me either)

I'd LOVE to get this working as having just started working out having a record to encourage me would really help

Old 14-09-2010, 10:40 AM
Unregistered

High heart rate - no warnings?

I bought the Polar HR monitor.
Neither the monitor nor the application gave me any audible warnings when my heart rate was too high. After I had finished the training I saw that my HR had been too high 96% of the time.

Unless they add sound alerts for high heart rate (like proper pulse watches), the Sports Tracker + Polar monitor are just fun toys, maybe not worth the 70 euros though.