All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 28-04-2010, 06:42 AM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
Endomondo - the sports tracker gets social

Sports Tracker isn't the only game in town when it comes to GPS-tracking your workouts. And especially not when it comes to sharing these with others, either for interest sake or to provoke healthy competition. Here, Ewan reviews Endomondo, a largely server-side solution that has a wealth of social features, in addition to the traditional mapping and logging summaries.

Read on in the full article.

Old 28-04-2010, 07:31 AM

jamoiholland is on a distinguished road
Interesting review Ewan. I've been using Sports Tracker on N79 for a while now, but found it to be slightly over-measuring the distance and height of my runs, hikes and cycles. I put this down to a presumably not-so-great GPS chip in the N79, but when Endomondo seems to get more accurate readings as I've found in the last couple of weeks, I was pleasantly surprised. I still prefer the on-device experience of Sports Tracker however, and now there's a Symbian^1 version of it, I'm covered if I ever find a good touch screen Nokia to upgrade to from my old N79 favourite. All I really need is for the Symbian^1 version of Sports Tracker to have Endomondo's GPS accuracy and there's a winning piece of free phone software!
Ads

Old 28-04-2010, 10:05 AM

igb is on a distinguished road
I use Sports Tracker on almost all my cycle rides. I have downloaded Endomondo, but not used it yet. The estimation of calories burnt on Sports Tracker seems well over the top. If it was correct I should be able to at least quadruple my consumption of Kit Kats

One thing I would like to see from both web sites is some sort of API. At the moment I can export my tracks individually to another format from the phone. What I would like to do is to export all of them programatically. Being able to embed map and track data directly into my own site would be good.

Ian.

Old 28-04-2010, 11:15 AM
Unregistered

i've used both sports tracker and endomondo. both have their merits.

sports tracker is good in that you can review your work outs from the phone itself, rather than go to a pc. so you can have more info at your mobile fingertips. the downside is that it is not accurate, it's too generous. checking against google earth and you can see there are discrepancies. running both apps concurrently and endomondo is more accurate. for this reason, i choose endomondo over sports tracker. also, the social side of it is interesting, i now see what my friends are doing. it also gives you the option of uploading your work outs to facebook, further extending this idea. if endomondo can extend their data to the mobile/ sports tracker make their software more accurate, there'd be two excellent apps out there.

aidan

Old 28-04-2010, 12:55 PM
Unregistered

I have today used both Endomondo and Sports Tracker for an approximately 4km route used by my club for time trials. After uploading and checking the mapped route online Sports tracker seems to be more accurate for me. I'll check other routes I do and see what I get.

I prefer the on device experience using Sport Tracker though online the two are somewhat evenly matched. I've gotten very comfortable with Sports Tracker but I'm going to give Endomondo an extended run. Looks very promising.

Old 28-04-2010, 01:23 PM

viipottaja is on a distinguished road
AAS, all of these app reviews must be some kind of a scam. I mean, we all KNOW that ALL developers have left or will for sure leave the Symbian platfom!

oh, and just to be sure:

Old 28-04-2010, 02:51 PM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by viipottaja View Post
AAS, all of these app reviews must be some kind of a scam. I mean, we all KNOW that ALL developers have left or will for sure leave the Symbian platfom!

oh, and just to be sure:
Oh no you have stumbled on to the conspiracy... its all part of the evil plan to... do something... Along with those Ovi Store download numbers...

Old 29-04-2010, 06:59 AM

jamoiholland is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
i've used both sports tracker and endomondo. both have their merits.

sports tracker is good in that you can review your work outs from the phone itself, rather than go to a pc. so you can have more info at your mobile fingertips. the downside is that it is not accurate, it's too generous. checking against google earth and you can see there are discrepancies. running both apps concurrently and endomondo is more accurate. for this reason, i choose endomondo over sports tracker. also, the social side of it is interesting, i now see what my friends are doing. it also gives you the option of uploading your work outs to facebook, further extending this idea. if endomondo can extend their data to the mobile/ sports tracker make their software more accurate, there'd be two excellent apps out there.

aidan
Yeah, I ran them both concurently as well a couple of times, and also found Sports Tracker to be generous on the mileage. Is it to do with how often the software samples the reading from the GPS chip maybe? With Endomondo doing it more, or possibly more likely less often per minute/second than Sports Tracker? Not tried the Symbian^1 Sports Tracker yet so not sure if that's more accurate, would be interesting to find out, and more useful once they have their site properly online.

Old 29-04-2010, 10:12 AM

clonmult is on a distinguished road
I think you need to do tweaking on sports tracker for accuracy though.

I was using it yesterday on a few rides, it came back with my maximum speed of 44mph .... if I was that quick, I'd be riding for a living.

Turns out you need to change some settings - Settings/Activities/select activity type -> Speed averaging - stops such spikes, and possibly improves overall accuracy.

Interesting that its almost exactly agreed with my bikes trip computer on the distance of the routes as well, which has to be good

Old 27-08-2010, 05:33 PM
Unregistered

Adding Gym Workouts

You can add your workouts with no distance (treadmill, rowing at the gym, etc.) in the interface. Just add a new workout and set the different stats of duration, dist. etc. I also like to put in my own calories value, even on the tracked workouts, since I use a heart rate monitor and it's more accurate than Endomondo estimate based only on the data they know.