All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 19-04-2010, 02:55 PM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
AAS Insight 114 - Nokia E5 and C6, Sports Tracker and more

In All About Symbian Insight 114 Ewan, Steve and Rafe share their thoughts on Nokia's announcement of the Nokia C6 and Nokia E6. We also shares news of Sony Ericsson's Q1 2010 results, the renewal of Sports Tracker, firmware updates for various phones and Numo Solution's Ovi Store success. You can listen to AAS Insight 114 here or, if you wish to subscribe, here's the RSS feed.

Read on in the full article.
Ads

Old 19-04-2010, 05:39 PM

Dazzy is on a distinguished road
Do you believe the C6 will have enough memory limited to 128mb?

I am looking for a Qwerty backup device for business meetings in Q3/Q4 this year, the Vivaz will remain my everyday personal phone for a good while yet.

Old 19-04-2010, 06:34 PM
Brendan Donegan

@Dazzy

This is the same as on all Symbian^1 devices, and (hopefully) with the firmware having matured a lot in the past couple of years - it should be fine.

Old 19-04-2010, 08:42 PM
Unregistered

I like the C6 that's being promoted and the vast range of features for the asking price, that it's very tempting. But, and I'm afraid it is a but, it's a mid range phone, that's hardware wise not too dissimilar to my 2 year old N82 that with a bit of tweaking, can obtain similar results. I think there are a lot of readers who are waiting for that elusive high end Nokia device, because, the 'solutions' are the same across high to low range new phones, so it's the higher specced hardware that users still want, notably the camera.

It was disappointing that the launch did not include the mythical N8-00, but there simply aren't other decent higher specced phones that offer the solutions that Nokia do, ie. ovi maps. And as all of you said, it'd be better to wait for the high end symbian 3 device, but more positive noises from Nokia to indicate when those symbian 3 devices will be would be welcomed.

Aidan

Old 19-04-2010, 09:44 PM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
I think you'll start seeing more information on Symbian^3 handsets soon.

Old 19-04-2010, 10:02 PM

Digi is on a distinguished road
Soon is just not soon enough for the N8-00 news :-D

Old 20-04-2010, 05:50 AM
Jimmy1

I'd also like to see a new Nokia high end device, but realistically, I don't see them announcing one before their conference in London, in September.

It'll give them *something* to unveil, seeing that Meego isn't actually shipping until sometime later in 2011, second half, apparently, which *really* means beginning of 2012:

http://www.sellmymobile.com/news/nok...e-in-2011-697/

As Pepe LePew would say, "Le 'sigh' ".

Old 20-04-2010, 08:51 AM

@Brendan

Thanks, it's true for Nokia symbian devices but not all.

I do believe Maego and the N900 will have come on leaps and bounds by the end of the year so that might be worth giving a 2nd look aswell.

Old 20-04-2010, 09:06 AM
Brendan Donegan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazzy View Post
@Brendan

Thanks, it's true for Nokia symbian devices but not all.

I do believe Maego and the N900 will have come on leaps and bounds by the end of the year so that might be worth giving a 2nd look aswell.
:-O You're, of course, absolutely correct (being the satisfied owner of a Satio, I should know this). However, you do pay a premium for having such levels of RAM and processor and I don't really know what more you can expect for the ~200 mark. The performance will probably be 'adequate' - but the feature set kills any other device you can name at this price point. If you want to wait until something higher end if announced then by all means do. I think Jimmy is mistaken in his timescales - I'd be shocked if there wasn't something *released* (never mind announced) in the summer months.

Old 22-04-2010, 09:49 AM

I had a play with the N900 yesterday and my initial reaction to Maemo was fantastic. By the time I get round to buying a 2nd phone other Maemo devices should be out and I believe that's the way I will go for the occasional use device.

Old 24-04-2010, 12:21 PM

I do know at this stage my 2nd device will be a Nokia, they mightn't equip their handsets with the best technology but their services portfolio is now unparalleled in my eyes.