All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 06-09-2007, 03:04 PM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
Casing the Nokia E90 Communicator

Phew! Enough of the myriad of Nokia E90 cases that we'd ordered had finally come in, so I proudly present my review roundup of E90 cases. Bottom line? Most of them have genuine downsides, in some cases severe design defects, from not letting the E90 open to being impossible to insert or extract! Buy with caution...

Read on in the full article.

Old 06-09-2007, 07:00 PM
Abbas R

Nice roundup Steve.... I was laughing as I read your opinion of the CP-181 - it really is the worst damned case ever made by Nokia, I think. Just awful. I did buy it when I got my E90 about 2 months back, then quit using it pretty fast once I realized how useless it is. And it took me like 3 days to figure out how to remove the phone from the case - you have to pull up on the open loop! That raises the phone up so you can pick it up. Its insanely dangerous, because it almost completely dislodges it from the case and is in danger of falling over the side onto the ground.

The designer of this case needs to be fired, whoever they are.

Old 06-09-2007, 10:08 PM

Location: ...somewhere in the Glorious south west countryside.
Larry70465 is on a distinguished road
Agreed - good roundup Steve

So far I've tried the Krusell and the crystal case, and of the two, the crystal case gets the most use.

Just getting the E90 into the Krusell so that it opened and closed reasonably took so much pushing and shoving that I was worried I might damage the handset. Trying to use either of the keyboards became a hit and miss affair with several adjacent keys being pressed, unless I was so deliberate that the speed advantage of a qwerty keyboard was effectively negated. Using the joystick/pad and adjacent buttons on the outer cover bacame pot luck. I can just get away using the machine in landscape mode with the small swivel button and the screen at 90 degrees, but I need to use both hands. Any of the larger clips I found are useless in "desk mode".

So the moment, the crystal case it is and the phone goes in my pocket. Now I just have to make my mind up what to try next.

On a slightly different note, I'm surprised none of the wallet styles have slots for memory cards, but then again given that 2-4gb cards are now the order of the day, are any necessary?

Keep up the good work.

Old 06-09-2007, 11:15 PM
~{ zafa }~

memory card storage / belt clip

I whole heartedly agree. Having memory storage slots in the case would be a huge boon to the design and usefulness. I suppose I can just put the memory cards in my wallet if it comes to that, but it would be nice not to have to take my wallet out so I can load a different movie. I mean, now I'll have my phone, the case it's in, the memory cards and my wallet out so I can get the data off... not too eloquent.

Onto the belt clip/loop thing. I have to agree with Julie that the belt loop is not a winner. I'm a guy, but hey... when I go out to see a movie, or I'm at a bbq and we start playing volleyball I don't want this big case on my waist. It would be nice to just unclip it. Or, I walk into a client meeting, it would be nice to have it not so obvious, and easily removable.

As for the wrap around design.. I want to see my phone. I want to actually touch my phone, not have plastic in the way, and like I said before... I want it easily removable. Also, with the non plastic smothered versions you can simply slide it out of the holder and then use it like it was intended... lay it flat, open it part way... whatever you want... Unlike the wrap around kind where belt loops/belt clips are getting in the way (not to mention the plastic).

Another smashing review Steve. Top drawer.
~{ zafa }~

Old 07-09-2007, 03:13 AM
Kenson Goo

Thumbs down Not attractive at all

i don't see the point of buying that

Old 07-09-2007, 08:53 AM

cooli is on a distinguished road
Thanks Steve,
Would you mind reviewing the Nokia E90 invisible shield?
I carry my E90 in my big pockets and want to have all controls reachable without manipulation or compromise.

Old 07-09-2007, 08:55 AM

cooli is on a distinguished road
Sorry forgot the link: http://www.shieldzone.com/item_description/NOKE90.html

Old 07-09-2007, 09:13 AM

jnrd is on a distinguished road
I like the CP-181!!!

Great comprehensive review Steve, thanks.
I am happy with the Nokia case. As the top post points out there is a (cleverly designed) way to easilly remove the E90 and mine came with instructions. My E90 never looks like it's gonna fall from the case as it remains half-way in the case when I pull the tab.
Part of what Nokia might be acknowledging with this design is that the form-factor of the E90 is just too case-unfriendly to try and construct a model that leaves the unit functional when inserted.
Probably the best design would be a crystal-style case made from rigid rubber. They were on ebay (now sold out), but the current design is not a good fit and has a daft and unnecessary hinge.

Justen Dyche

Old 07-09-2007, 10:46 AM

tickly is on a distinguished road
Does anyone have an E90 they can put inside a case?

I've been trying to purchase a sim-free E90 now for over 3 weeks without any luck.
I've just got off the phone with Clove Technology who say they might get stock by October!! I know Nokia have had issues with this phone, but it appears that no one has had any stock now for several weeks, and doesn't know when they will get some.
Is there anyone at AAS with a Nokia contact who can get any info on this phone's whereabouts? To me it just feels like there's an elite E90 owners club and the rest of us latecomers aren't invited!!! Someone please tell me where I can purchase this phone in the next week!!

Rant over,

Ian.

Old 07-09-2007, 11:33 AM
Prufrock

I don't think I would ever want a case, the E90 is big enough already without making it even bulkier. It's a clamshell design so the important bits are protected when it's closed and the case only adds to the hassle of using it. On top of all that, these smartphones are effectively disposable items with built in obselesence. I can see me binning the E90 before 2009 because it will be superceded.

Old 07-09-2007, 06:45 PM

Andrew Brown is on a distinguished road
An excellent review indeed but am I alone here in thinking why bother with a case at all?

I am quite happy using my E90 in its ' Bithday Suit' without any problems, stored in front trouser pocket. In fact I believe there is more chance of me dropping the phone if I was continually having to take out of a protective case every time I had to take/make a call.

I appreciate that many E90 owners will want to afford the best protection to their beloved (and expensive) device and will naturally seek their ideal case. I dont have a problem with that at all.

In fact, given the folding form factor of the E90, any manufacturer thinking of designing a case in 'book' guise is doomed to failure and I'd wager that noone will ever succeed. This is clearly proved by Steve's findings so far.

I believe that only a pouch type of case will ever be successful in providing an effective and yet useable solution.

Old 09-09-2007, 09:40 AM
Dan Din

Lightbulb Agree Wholeheartedly

I have purchased a similar case to the one purchased in the review from a Bracknell market stall (but mine was from Swansea market!). It cost me 6.99, a simple pouch type affair that looks very much like the PDair traditional horizontal leather pouch in the review. It is perfect for my needs, comfortable on the hip and keeps the E90 safe and sound with easy access.

However, there is one let down and it's a big one. There is no space to keep memory cards safe. Until we have the 8Gb memory cards (or someday the 32Gb cards!) then 2x4Gb cards is the order of the day for most I guess if the card is being used for MP3, video, maps etc. The cards are too small to be safe in one's wallet. The perfect answer would be to have a small plastic book type case like the ones that come with the cards when they are purchased, which would hold 2 cards and that the plastic case would then fit into the pocket of the case.

I see that Proporta have a book type case which has such a slot to keep cards safe, but this case isn't reviewed by Steve.

Case designers - it's a tiny addition, but would make life so much easier! Please help out! I, for one, would be a definite buyer.

Old 09-09-2007, 12:26 PM

Location: ...somewhere in the Glorious south west countryside.
Larry70465 is on a distinguished road
Smile Full Body Sheild

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooli View Post
Thanks Steve,
Would you mind reviewing the Nokia E90 invisible shield?
I carry my E90 in my big pockets and want to have all controls reachable without manipulation or compromise.
Hi Cooli,

Thanks for the link - I've just ordered one. As & When it gets here I'll keep you posted.

Regards

Larry W

Old 17-09-2007, 10:47 AM
Unregistered

Talking Watch the spelling steve

"As with my other case roundups, there's a pretty mottley selection here..."

You spelled motley incorrectly! Ordinarily I wouldn't say anything 'coz really I'm the last to talk about spelling, grammer, etc. (since mine is atrocious). But after your "if you can't spell then you shouldn't be a writer" comment (in your defence of the E90 as a journalism tool), I just had to point it out!

Keep up the excellent work, your writing (as well as krissie's and rafe's) has made me a firm fan of AAS!
Ads

Old 17-09-2007, 05:19 PM
Jorge Madrid

Smile E90 Case Roundup

Just purchased the AX-Alex case. Great service from these guys. They don't take credit cards though. Would have never found them without the review Steve. Great Work